Views on co-sleeping

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by trish1200, Aug 24, 2009.

1. trish1200

trish1200 Well-Known Member

What are your views on co-sleeping? I didn't plan to do it, but it just happened, it makes my nights easier and I enjoy the closeness, but I'm also worried because I wouldn't want it to carry on when my LO is sligtly older.

2. asacia

asacia Guest

I'm pro safe cosleeping and will do it until lo is ready and happy to sleep alone.

3. Nibblenic

Nibblenic Well-Known Member

I think its like alot of things hun, as long as your prepared for being stong when you decide its time to stop i dont see the harm at all

4. Hope22

Hope22 Mom of 1 beautiful boy

I LOVE co-sleeping, I think it's wonderful and a very natural way to parent. It's not for everyone, but it works for us. If you do a search, someone here found an article talking about the benefits of co-sleeping until age five. I don't plan to keep Darwin in our bed that long, but I'm in no hurry to get him out either :)

5. CeliaM

CeliaM Pregnant mom of 2

I'm not really for co-sleeping. I think it can foster poor sleep habits. I did it with my elder son, but didn't for the next. Sometimes towards the end of the night when I got him up for his last bf, I'd bring him in with me, but only did that till he was a couple months old

6. Missy85

Missy85 Well-Known Member

We dont do it all night or every day but it usually happens if he wakes in the morning a bit too early and i would prefer for him not to get used to getting up and going downstairs at that time so we have morning bed cuddles :)

I dont see any harm as it is your choice and as long as you are happy thats the important thing!

7. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

We did this when she was little and it made life so much easier, I hadnt really thought about doing it, but it was really hard going with a newborn and we found she was much more settled in bed with me and OH so it worked well for us, but at 6 weeks we decided it was time for her cot, and she slept through from then on, I do still take her into bed with me when OH leaves for work at 6.30 but I dont think she notices as shes sound asleep but its nice to wake up next to her smiling at me. x

8. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I was always a little nervous about this in case they'd develop poor sleeping habits... I used to take her into bed with me for the last middle of the night feed and then let her stay in the bed but she's a kicker so she kept me awake! :dohh:

9. CamoQueen

CamoQueen Mom of 2 & 1 on the way!

David slept in our bed until around 6-7 months when we moved him into his own crib. He cried a bit at first, but now he goes down without a fight; he sleeps in there for naps now, too. I still take him into our bed in the mornings after DH leaves for work. I think co-sleeping can be a great thing, and it was for sure the only way we could get David to sleep when he was a newborn.

10. Bekkiboo

Bekkiboo Guest

I'm all for co-sleeping, i'm currently doing this with baby Cassidy and my 5yr old son Devon (although we are slowly settling Devon into his own bed now!)
    I also co-slept with my eldest son Jordon who is now 8. We introduced him to his own bed when he was about 5 and had absolutely no problems doing so! Infact he was over the moon to be getting his own bed!

11. Bekkiboo

Bekkiboo Guest

I'm all for co-sleeping, i'm currently doing this with baby Cassidy and my 5yr old son Devon (although we are slowly settling Devon into his own bed now!)
    I also co-slept with my eldest son Jordon who is now 8. We introduced him to his own bed when he was about 5 and had absolutely no problems doing so! Infact he was over the moon to be getting his own bed!

12. lollylou1

lollylou1 Mummy to Belle and preg

co sleeping isnt something i would ever have considered doing but thats my own personal choice i wouldnt judge anyone else if they chose to co sleep i just wouldnt feel comfortable doing it for lots of reasons

Lou
    xxx

13. jazmine18

jazmine18 Well-Known Member

i have been co-sleeping with sophia since she was born..she is nearly 9 months now..and i love it, i think shes as much as a comfort to me as i am to her lol..i cnt sleep without her there lol...and shes doesnt wake me up too early ..she goes to sleep between 9-10 and we get up about 9am. when i have more children i will definately be doing it again. x

14. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

If it allows you to get a decent nights sleep then i'm all for it :thumbup: :rofl:

I didnt intend to but i co slept with brooke for the first 6 - 8 weeks and she doesnt have any bad sleeping habits now, she made the transition into her cot in her own room really well.

You just do what works for you guys, pay no mind to anyone else, they arent there at 3am when the baby is screaming the house down :hissy:

15. porkypig

porkypig Well-Known Member

Im with you polo_princess, if baby is happy and they sleep better, then i dont c what the big deal is? it wont last forever and if it means getting a good nights sleep im all for it. Ive done it a few times, usually the early morning feed and he does sleep really well in our bed. xxx

16. nkbapbt

nkbapbt Double Preemie Momma

I love it. And am pro safe co sleeping! Lakai being a preemie we were told not too, but I researched it endlessly before he came home and the benefits FAR out weighed the negatives. I wouldnt change seeing his smiling face every morning for the world!

17. Fern.x

Fern.x Guest

i co-slept with liam for about 2-3 months altough i did love and felt much closer and safer for him, it didnt work he slept long ways and was kicking OH in the face all night poor OH and i was always awake with him belting me in the face and when he started crawling that was it he would get up and climb over us nearly falling out the bed..hes now in his own bed again and sleeps much better

18. june09

june09 Mummy to Mia

Mia doesn't get in with me all night, but when she wakes for a feed between 5:30 and 6:30am she gets in with me after that. I don't want to be getting up and going downstairs at that time, and she wont sleep after that time on her own so it's easier to let her get in with me. And when she was poorly a couple of weeks ago I let her just get in with me all night. I have no problem with it, I actually like the comfort of her being there and if it makes her happy and gets me extra sleep then I really dont mind.

19. princess_vix

princess_vix Guest

I love to co-sleep with Ryan in the morning when he wakes up.
    It's my special time with him and also means i get lie-in plus he gets an extra nap!

20. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

I'm for co-sleeping if it's what suits you :) Seren slept so much better during the first few weeks when she slept in bed with me, and I loved it... It was something I never thought I would do, until I accidently fell asleep with her in bed, and when I woke up I realised that she'd slept for 4hours straight!
    I had no problem with her sleeping at all, after about 3/4weeks I started putting her in her moses basket right next to the side of my bed, she would wake up once in the night at about 4am, put dummy in, and she'd sleep til 10am. Then she moved into her own room easily and sleeps 13hrs.