Violet's birth - a positive induction story

PitaKat

Reaction score
How I prepared for birth:
-I drank RRLT every day from 34 weeks (1 cup a day till 38 weeks, then up to 4 cups a day),
-began taking EPO orally at 36 weeks, then both orally and internally from 39 weeks,
-read positive, natural birthing stories
-was doing some of the positions from spinningbabies most days (squats, pelvic tilts, and the forward -leaning inversion)
-was sitting backwards on chairs, cross-legged on the floor, or on my yoga ball. No reclining for me! Towards the end I told my husband "I need to have this baby so I can lean back, put my feet up, and RELAX!" :haha:

Things I tried to get labor going:
-sex
-spicy food (including labor cookies)
-walking
-stairs
-3 sweeps
-clary sage oil
-bouncing on yoga ball
-nipple stimulation

At 12 days past the due date, we went in at 6 am for the induction. I talked to my mom (a L&D RN) about inductions the day before and we came up with a plan, which I relayed to the nurse. She was awesome and willing to let me do it how I wanted. I wanted low and slow on the Pitocin, no interventions, as natural as possible, no epidural. I was told that the last 5 babies that had been born had also been girls and their moms had gone natural. I was inspired to keep the streak going! :haha:

We started Pitocin around 7. I got the lowest dose possible for an hour, then upped it 1 unit (the lowest amount possible) for the next hour, and so on. I was having Braxton hicks regularly, but had been for the past couple weeks. I kept telling the nurse "I'm feeling them, but it's just pressure."

These first several hours were just a lot of fun lol. My mom, sister and husband were with me and we talked and visited and laughed. I bounced on the ball or we walked the halls, and we just enjoyed being with each other.

At 1 pm my Dr came by to check me. I was at a 4 and 80% effaced, yay! I was 4/10 of the way there, with essentially no pain :thumbup: She asked me if we could bump up the Pitocin to 2 units an hour and I agreed.

At that point I was tired, still not feeling much, and decided to take a nap. My husband and mom left to go get some food. I rested for about 45 minutes, then I was feeling more energetic, so I got up. At this point, I started feeling some pain and was moving/rocking through each contraction. I called my mom and husband to come back. Hubby took his time, which resulted in a phone call like "What are you doing? Why haven't you left yet? Yes, I'm having contractions! Get in the car and get here!" :haha: He came sprinting in about 20 minutes later.

I had just gotten checked, so see if I could come off the Pitocin (being hooked up to a monitor makes moving around difficult!) only to be told I was still at 4 and 80% effaced. They like to see cervical change before stopping Pitocin. This was probably around 3 pm, and it was really starting to be work. They asked me if I wanted to walk more, and instead I opted for some positioning. My mom helped me do Walcher's position from spinning babies, then my husband did several abdominal lifts with me. I also sat on the ball while my husband or sister squeezed my hips to apply pressure, or I leaned on a chair and moved my hips. I just kept reminding myself to relax and breathe and open.

At around 4 I was really feeling the contractions, and I asked again to be taken off the Pitocin, so I could get in the shower. The nurse checked me and I was "5 or 6". Progress! :thumbup: I was finally unhooked from the Pitocin. The nurse wanted to get some fetal heart tones for a few minutes, so I stayed hooked up to the monitor for a few more contractions. My mom looked at the strip, the print-out of the contractions and baby's heart rate, and suggested the nurse check me again, as the baby was having some good head compressions. I was at 8! My husband, mom and I all said "Call the doctor!" No time to get in the shower, I was pacing the room, rubbing my back. My mom said I was marching lol. Lots of pressure, but manageable. I could feel pinching on the cervix with each contraction.

The Dr showed up, more nurses came in, and they're telling me "Whenever you feel pushy, climb up on the bed." I did, though I wasn't feeling particularly pushy, because I thought, hey, time to get this over with. In hindsight, I should've paced through a couple more contractions. I got on the bed and it felt wrong, like the angle was wrong. The pain was more intense. I was barely keeping it together, and pushing didn't feel right, either. I pushed a bit through 3 contractions before I really felt her move down.

Then on the 4th, she crowned and dang, that hurt! At that point, I yelled (and had a sore throat the next day because of that lol). I heard my husband tell me it was almost over, she was almost out, and I just kept going with that push, till her head came through, the water sac broke and her whole body rode out with it. I was so out of breath lol. My mom told me I was a birthing champion lol.

She was born at 4:51 pm. I did not tear at all! The Dr and nurses start going "short cord! short cord!" and could only put her on my lower abdomen till my husband cut the cord a few minutes later. Then I put her on my chest and she latched on right away.

She was 7 lbs 14 oz, and 20 inches long. She has a head of dark brown hair, which I was NOT expecting. She has big chubby cheeks, but a skinny little body lol. She's been an amazing nurser so far and an amazing little sleeper. :cloud9:

Later that day my husband was telling me how proud of me he is and I was like "I don't want to do it again for a long time." But I'm already thinking of what I'll do differently next time (push in a different position!) :haha: I was very nervous about going to this hospital and being induced, but it ended up being very positive, with people who supported me and worked with what I was envisioning. I asked people to pray for a smooth, safe birth, and I don't think it could've gone any smoother :flower:

Aw congratulations :flower: So lovely to hear a positive story with induction!

Beautiful birth story, congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->