Vit K

diz

Reaction score
Ummmm... to give, or not to give....???????????????

I'm going to be breast feeding.

Whats everyone else's thoughts? Did your child receive vit K at birth? Why did you choose to give/not give vit K...?

i gave maddi the vitamin k, by injection. i planned to bf and i had read vit k wasn't in breast milk, and thought it was important. it turned out i couldn't bf, as i never had any milk come in, and glad we went for the vit k x

I went for the vit K injection, I think I read it is more important for breastfed babies as formula milk contains the vitamin. It is something to do with blood clotting, I think, if they have a vit K deficiency they can hemorrhage and get brain damage. Look it up on Google, it's something like that!

I didn't even notice when Freya had the injection, didn't see/hear them do it, so that's not an issue I don't think!

:)

I got it given to Alice. I was told it helps with blood clotting and can be life saving if the baby has any bruising/bleeding from the birth. Alice wouldn't breastfeed until she was almost 2 days old so I am happy with my decision.

I did go for the Vit K, for the same reasons as above with regards to the breastfeeding. In my work (pharmacy) I came across a lot scary case studies relating to babies with haemorrhagic disease of the newborn due to Vit K deficiency, that though it's not possible to say that the risk of leaukaemia doesn't exist, recent research has never proved a link between the injection and leaukaemia. I am happy with my decision.

We chose the oral vit K but tbh I wouldn't have been that bothered if I hadn't had a section. I don't think it's needed unless you've had an assisted birth tbh.

Zack had the injection at birth, i didnt really feel any reason not to

My children had it, mainly cos I didnt know anything different. But any other children will still have it now I have looked into it.

If any one is raising there children as vegitarian then the injection is not suitable but the oral is.

Hmmm I guess this isn't normal here in the US? I was not offered it for any of the 3 kids and can't think of anyone that has been? I breastfeed all 3 times. Hayden nursed for 19mo didn't eat food until 9mo but I never gave him supplements of any kind..vitamins, formula, whatever it might be...and his levels for anything were never low. I would not have done it even if offered.

I didn't want Dexter to have it, but after going 12 days over and having a bit of a stressful time after giving birth I told them to just give him it. He had to have lots of heel pricks for glucose tests those first few days so I'm glad he got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->