Vitamin D in pregnancy

M

MamaLoCo

Based on my thread about bacterial vaginosis, and the fact that it's the #1 most common vaginal infection in women, an that we're all pregnant, I thought you all might find this helpful.

First of all, let's keep an open and compassionate conversation. A not-so-kind member on this board (whom I've blocked) had the nerve to sarcastically comment (in regards to Vit. D on another tread) that I must know more than my doctor since I work at a health store (at the time managing vitamins/supplements). Well, frankly, I learn a lot more from my job than I do from my doctors, nurses, and personal research. My health care practitioners have made ZERO of these connections to me so...maybe they know, maybe they don't, but they certainly aren't sharing the information with the rest of the class. They're just saying, "here, take this," and call in a prescription, which was the whole point of the thread that I had to have closed to avoid one person taking over with her rudeness, as she's done on other threads. *There should be a Bully-Button to let people know they're being bullies.

As you may remember, I was diagnosed with low levels of Vitamin D (not a deficiency, just low) as well as bacterial vaginosis. My doctors/nurses didn't link the two. I didn't even get those diagnoses within the same phone call.

At work every month, we have a 2-hour meeting to have nutritional education provided by our Nutritional Health Coach. We also provide a Hotline (for us and customers) with all of our sales, recipes, and health-related articles. In this month's, I read the following:

Vitamin D Benefits Pregnant Women and Their Fetuses
"An analysis of 31 studies has found that low levels of vitamin D lead to several serious complications of pregnancy. Conversely, women with healthy blood levels of the vitamin have a relatively low risk of those complications.

Doreen M. Rabi MD, and her colleagues at the University of Calgary, Canada, determined hat women with low level of the vitamin were about 50 percent more likely to develop gestational diabetes and about 80 percent more likely to develop preeclampsia.

A mother's low vitamin D levels during pregnancy were also associated with an 85 percent greater risk of infants who were small for their gestational age. In addition, mothers-to-be had greater odds of developing bacterial vaginosis and delivering low birth weight infants."

Now, for those of you who aren't taking it, don't go out and buy 50,000 iu of Vitamin D to take daily. Chances are, you don't need it THAT bad. Lots of people over-supplement. I only take 10,000 per week. Talk to a nutritionist about it first. If you are in the US, since it's winter time (or in Texas - "not summer") then you're probably a little lower than usual due to lower concentrations of sunlight. There are lots of food-sources of all your essential vitamins as well so load up on those.
I haven't had the BV return yet and also haven't gotten a yeast infection like they warned might happen after the BV anti-biotics.

Also, if you're in the US, there might be Natural Grocers (by Vitamin Cottage) in your area. I don't mean to advertise (I really don't get anything out of it since I left Vitamins to manage the health & beauty department) but a lot of people don't realize that they all employee one or two Nutritional Health Coaches who provide FREE health training to any customer interested...as well as free classes. It's not just another chain like Sprouts or Whole Foods, everything goes through a stringent approval and testing process before it's allowed in the store especially supplements...even the dairy farms get visits from the owners to make sure they're keeping up to par with our standards. Sorry, I fall in love with my store all over again every month when I'm reminded how much they care to educate the world...with real science...they won't sell anything that's proven to be potentially dangerous or can't be proven through conventional research(like amber teething necklaces, colloidal silver, DHEA, etc...)

In scotland when I went to the midwife they now automatically give you a combination tablet with folic acid and vitamin d when you find out your pregnant so even though I havnt looked into it there must be a pretty good reason! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->