Vitamin D supplement?

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
I have been advised by the hospital here to give my baby vitamin D drops because in summer the sun us too strong for him to be out in it and in the winter its far too cold to expose his skin enough to the sun.

I have a little dropper bottle and am meant to give him 4 drops a day for the first year from age 3-4 weeks...

Is this also recommended elsewhere?

How do you give the vitsmin?

I dropped just 2 drops in his mouth today and he really cried, worse than I've ever heard him, it was the first time he actually had tears, I feel so mean and I can't believe I'm expected to give him this every morning :cry::cry:

We're advised to do this here aswell . The drops I have you only have to put one drop on your nipple and let them suckle .

I've heard of dr's saying that before, I personally declined them. Hayden was never low on anything. Just a little sun exposure everyday is plenty, they don't have to be out there for hours or anything like that. I think it's up to you really, I didn't think it was needed and it wasn't for Hayden :)

Aww :( We are advised to do it here too hun, Vit D 10 drops for the first year and vit K 5 drops for 3 months...tbh we give the K first cos its vile and then the D its not too bad, I have 3 everyday too cos the health lady said my multivit didnt cover enough.

We were also adviced to give them once a day. OH does it every morning during his nappy change and he doesn't seem to mind them. He just drops them straight into his mouth :)

Yup, I was told that if you BF you need to supplement with Vit D (they put it in formula so you don't have to if you FF). At first my LO didn't like it (I give her 1 ml. a day with a dropper) But now she really likes it and gobbles it up. I tasted it and personally think it is gross, but I guess when all you get is milk a change is nice now and then. Hopefully your LO will come to like it as well. :hugs:

Also, at first when she had difficulty taking it i found it help to mix it with a bottle of milk, only thing is that if they don't finish the bottle you don't know how much they took in.

Yes, most doctors recommend it here... It definately will not hurt your baby by any means. Its a precaution and to me if your putting all your work into bfing, why not? Jaundiced babies are a pain to have to feed.

Here is some info on it...breastfed babies rarely actually need a vitamin d supplement. Sure you can do it as a precaution that's fine of course, I personally didn't want to give them anything at all besides breastmilk, we also almost never do any medications either so it's all with that.

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

I FF so don't supplement, however both my parents have MS and since Vit D is meant to help prevent this, I am on quite a large dose every day. I think it depends where you live, as Vit D is found in sunlight, so if you live somewhere like the UK you won't be getting much of it! I will be giving Freya Vit D when she comes off formula.

Here is some info on it...breastfed babies rarely actually need a vitamin d supplement. Sure you can do it as a precaution that's fine of course, I personally didn't want to give them anything at all besides breastmilk, we also almost never do any medications either so it's all with that.

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

its a natural supplement... lots of babies dont need it but im not sure why people should be deterred from it?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, I just didn't want him having anything at all besides breastmilk...no meds (we still don't give meds unless they just absolutely have to have it we try many other things first) and supplements too. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving it if it makes you feel better or it's needed, I just didn't think it was needed for him and in reality it's not actually NEEDED very often at all, so was just giving that information :)

Here is some more info on Vitamin D that I find quite compelling on the pro side... though we are making sure Jack gets 20 min of sun per day...

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->