Vitamin K???

Hollie506

Reaction score
I'm afraid to say that I am one of those annoying people who doesn't really believe in jabs of any kind...but with this one I'm stumped!! :shrug: One half of me thinks it's a vitamin, so not like normal injections they give babies...the other half is still unsure!!

Will you be getting your LO's done? xxx

I'm planning to give mine the injection. To be honest, I've not really been able to find any conclusive information to tell me not to.

Weighing it up, the risk of hemmorage (although low) is higher than any risk from the injection.

It's all personal choice though of course!

If it's just the method of administration you don't like, you can ask if they'll give it to baby orally. Although, I must point out that it's normally given intramuscularly (IM injection) because the absorption is better via that method.

Anyway, it's given prophylactically. They won't know whether or not your baby has a Vitamin K deficiency and would be prone to haemorrhagic disease of the newborn. But it was felt that this was a regular enough occurrence (due to Vitamin K dependent coagulation in the classic onset, 1:100 births) to make Vitamin K a standard (although consented) procedure.

Personally (and as a neonatal nurse), I'm not hesitating to give consent for my baby to have Vitamin K by injection. I've given Vitamin K to my patients many times and have never had a problem with it. For a term baby with a normal birth weight, the dose tends to be 0.1ml (0.1cc for the North Americans) of Vitamin K (Konakian is the only brand I've seen). That in itself is a minuscule amount and is not diluted with anything else.

I think you can have it orally. My baby will be having the injection so she can't spit it up.

I will make sure my baby have the injection no problem

I'm one of those crazy anti people and won't be giving my baby Vit K unless she has an assisted delivery or something which makes the likelihood of haemorrhage increase.

Im undecided. Its a new theory the scientists have come up with so they can trial injecting poor new borns with it.. I mean i never had it and im alive? My nana thinks its a load of rubbish anyway, but on the other hand its only vitamins? Whats the harm in vitamins. So im not sure.. X

I'm one of those crazy anti people and won't be giving my baby Vit K unless she has an assisted delivery or something which makes the likelihood of haemorrhage increase.

Same here..I have not done it with several children. I just don't think God messed up when He made them with lower levels. Besides, after about 7 days of breastfeeding, their levels are where they need to be. There are also studies about it thickening the blood too much, and when their little capilaries are getting used to breathing and such, it can cause damage...I cannot site anything right now..don't remember where I saw that..sorry

It's required by law in NY state, so you can't refuse it here. I have no problem with it though. "Vitamin K is given within an hour of birth to prevent hemorrhagic disease of the newborn, a potentially fatal condition. It must be given by injection, since oral vitamin K has not been shown to be as effective, and thereare no oral vitamin K preparations available for pediatric use in this country. Vitamin K prophylaxis is mandated for all newborns because the condition it prevents is life-threatening and because the intervention is itseff very safe. Vitamin K has been reported on rare occasions to cause hyperbilirubinemia in the newborn, but only at doses many times higher than the 0.5 - 1.0 mg dose recommended for preventing hemorrhagic disease of the newborn."

Lottie had it and so will this baby! For the sake of a vitamin injection against the risk of haemorrhage i would rather they had it and not take any risks, but its all down to personal choice! :hugs:

Weighing it up, the risk of hemmorage (although low) is higher than any risk from the injection.

It's all personal choice though of course!

Egglet's having it, personally I can't argue with that reasoning :thumbup: xx

I'm getting to oral kind. The shot gives the baby 900% more than an adult would need. I personally think that's overdoing it. So, he gets some orally when he's born and then another dose orally a week later I believe, just to be safe. I feel like that's a moderated position.

My son had a vit K injection when he was born (born by emergency c-section) this baby will be having the injection too :)

We plan for our baby to have it orally.

Personally I wouldn't NOT have it and husband wants to avoid baby having an injection (if possible) and has promised to ensure he gets the second and third dose (the first is administered by the MW at birth, but you are responsible for the second and third dose - at one week and four weeks, I believe). The injection is less hassle because you don't have to remember the additional doses...

QT

Hey hun, no you are not, I am the same. I have a ds who is autistic and you question everything, I too looked into this for ds 2 and it flags up some worrying information. It is a case of trying to wade through this for an unbiased opinion, which is very hard. I am set to research it again this time, although I did go for it with ds2 as I was so torn. x

ive only just heard about this injection. tried googling but it's all really complicated. could someone explain in really basic terms what its for to a complete dummy please? x

Rach, my post up-thread explains it a bit. It's an injection (or can be given orally, but injection works best) for the baby at birth that prevents haemorrhaging related to Vitamin K deficiency. Babies aren't tested for the deficiency, however. The injection is given on a "just in case" basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->