Vitamin K?

The role of vitamin K deficiency in bleeding disorders, fractures, osteoporosis and many other health conditions. It cannot be made by our bodies, but not all vitamin K needs to be obtained from food. It is a fat-soluble vitamin, so it is stored in the body's fat tissue and liver.

So it helps with strong bones and bruising? Why vitamin K particularly and not any other vitamin? This is the first I have heard about this. What foods are rich in vitamin K? If I would give my baby this vitamin, why not go all out and give him/her a supplement with all the vitamins? Sorry, really confused and haven't done any research yet!

The role of vitamin K deficiency in bleeding disorders, fractures, osteoporosis and many other health conditions. It cannot be made by our bodies, but not all vitamin K needs to be obtained from food. It is a fat-soluble vitamin, so it is stored in the body's fat tissue and liver.

So it helps with strong bones and bruising? Why vitamin K particularly and not any other vitamin? This is the first I have heard about this. What foods are rich in vitamin K? If I would give my baby this vitamin, why not go all out and give him/her a supplement with all the vitamins? Sorry, really confused and haven't done any research yet!

A bit of background:
https://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol13No2/vitk.htm
https://www.nct.org.uk/info-centre/decisions/view-35

Vitamin K helps with bruising and such just as other vitamins help with specific things in your body. For example
* Vitamin D helps your bones and now due to studies is a huge helping factor in MS
* Vitamin A helps your eye sight
* Vitamin C is the healing vitamin. Keeps your immune system in check and allows you to heal faster from cuts and such.
* B vitamins in leafy green vegetables help your body make protein and energy.

Fat-soluble vitamins are happy to stay stored in your body for awhile — some stay for a few days, some for up to 6 months! Then, when it's time for them to be used, special carriers in your body take them to where they're needed. Vitamins A, D, E, and K are all fat-soluble vitamins.

The thing with these vitamins is that they NEED to be in our bodies so that when it's time for our bodies to use them they're there. But with a few of these vitamins in our society we're finding it harder to get them and keep them in our system like we used to. Newborns are just naturally born without much Vitamin K, which is fine as it's how nature wired us. But because we may not be getting the amount of Vitamin K in our system as they used to "Vitamin K1 is found chiefly in leafy green vegetables such as spinach, swiss chard, and Brassica (e.g. cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts); some fruits such as avocado and kiwifruit are also high in vitamin K." Then perhaps we're not giving our newborns as much as they need after birth.

This baby will be having the oral vitamin k. River had the injection as it was horrible she screamed and screamed.

Apparently, according to my MW, we can only have the IM injection since Oxfordshire doesn't offer the oral version... I'm going to check with my GP when I see her at 38 weeks as my doula has never heard of this restriction here. DH and I are going to make the decision after the birth as we are both still really undecided about it.

We didn't give our daughter Vit K or the eye medication. If we had a son and he happened to be getting cir'd then maybe we would think about it (Jewish...anyways, not sure how I am going to get my hubby to understand MGM if we have a boy)... I hate rich foods in vit k and we didn't feel our daughter was in any harms ways by not having it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->