Vitamins/Folic acid

Dotty Doo

Reaction score
I have a little dilemma!

My GP has given me some 5mg folic acid to start the month before we TTC due to some family history of anencephaly. I am wondering if it would be safe to take some sort of pre-natal vitamin as well so as to get the iron, vitamin D etc or to just focus on taking the folic acid. I would have to take the 5mg a month before TTC and all the way up to the 12th week of pregnancy.

Would I do myself some harm by taking extra folic acid (400mcg) on top of the 5mg I will already be having?

Do I really need to take pre-natals (pregnacare)?

Help!!!!

I dont think you can overdose on folic acid but might be worth double checking with your dr or pharmacist. Apart from folic acid and vitamin d i dont think you need any vitamin supplements if you have a balanced diet or told otherwise by a doctor

Edit: I think you can get adequate vitamin d from sunlight but might depend on time if year etc

Yes you can have too much folic acid! I would ask your doctor what you should do for vitamins.

i agree, just ask your doc what is best and tell them that you want to take extra vitamins too :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->