Vitamins?

J

Joey_Poo

Should i start taking vitamin tablets before or during pregnancy just to be that bit healthier and which vitamins should i take?

Ooh I will be watching this, i'm getting my implant out at the end of Nov but we are not TTC until Feb and was wondering if I should start taking folic acid etc soonish or wait til nearer the time x

i start my last pack of pills tonight, i have no idea which vitamins are the best for pregnancy business x

I started taking boots conception support at the begining of this month and we're gong TTC in feb too.

Folic acid is a must and you should take it when you start trying, you can get this as a prescription from your doctor (if you are in the UK, just realized i forgot to look)

i think the people who make pregnacare also make one for conception too, but im sure there are cheaper ones out there x

Thanks Beccaboop, I might go have a look in Boots then sometime soon. My DH thought I was being OTT for thinking about it so early x

You're not too early to think about it at all! Definitely take folic acid at least 3 months before starting TTC, and right through to week 12 of pregnancy...I'm taking boots conception support, have been for nearly 3 months, and I'm not TTC til summer 2012. They are £3.99 for a box of 30 (so a month's supply), and boots often have a 3 for 2 offer on. They're a lot cheaper than pregnacare or sanatogen, and they have more vitamins etc in them. You're supposed to limit your vitamin A intake too, as it's bad for the baby to have too much...that's why the conception/pregnancy ones don't have it in.

Thanks Beccaboop, I might go have a look in Boots then sometime soon. My DH thought I was being OTT for thinking about it so early x

I really like them and they are only £3.99 loads cheaper than the others

I just moved to TTC a few days ago but have been taking a prenatal vitamin with 1000 mcg of folic acid since July. I just went to my doctors appointment and she also wants me to take vitamin D, calcium supplements, and even more folic acid - however, that is because I have kidney disease so I need quite a bit more folic acid than what my prenatal provides. She actually told me to buy 1000 mcg tablets and 'pop' them throughout the day!

If you are unsure of your needs, you can always ask your doctor :) But for sure you can start just taking them - I have heard you should start at least 3 months before TTC.

I've been taking prenatal vitamins since last June (was taking normal multivitamins before) as we were TTC in August through October. I figured I might as well continue taking them until we TTC again next August. The better you prep your body for pregnancy, the more chances you have of having a healthy pregnancy.

As for brand, I just buy the drug store's brand since it has everything it needs (1200 mcg of folic acid, not too much vitamin A, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->