Voting to stay or leave EU. Confused!

babycrazy1706

Mummy to Elijah and TTC
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of staying/leaving. I know immigration is a big factor but I'm unsure of other factors. TIA

Free trade is a big deal. Currently businesses just need to get once licence to trade with the EU. If we leave then companies will need to get a licence for each country they deal with which will cost businesses a fair amount.

Also need to consider how rest of Europe will see our departure if we vote to leave. They may be less inclined to trade with us which could have huge economic affects.

Maternity leave and such like benefits are protected by the EU and things like those benefits could go as part of austerity cuts if EU govt not involved.

France has already said they'll stop protecting our boarder at Calais (costs them a small fortune) if we leave so we could have a
Refugee issue anyway.

Plus side would give our govt more rights as to what happens here etc and we wouldn't need to pay into Europe and carry other countries not doing as well economically.

It's hard to read between the lines but for me there's too many risks with voting to leave when there's so many economic issues around the world. I felt that about the Scottish referendum too.

I'm still undecided, everything I read is conflicting.
I've read leaving the EU will only negatively affect large businesses, but I'm not sure how true that is.
I've also read that countries such has Iceland and Norway have had no problems trading in fact quite the opposite.
I'm hoping that as the date draws closer there'll be debates on tv etc to help me make up my mind- I found that really helped me when voting in the election.

There's pros and cons.. but I think it sends a massive message either way

There's an uncertainty if we leave. It's never happened before so we can only speculate what will happen and how it will affect us. If we decide to leave there will be a transition period of roughly 2 years of more negotiations which will affect oh decide what we keep and loose.

Our human rights are protected by the eu. How this will affect us in the future I don't know. I don't like the idea of someone rewriting our human rights.

A lot of businesses have headquarters based here that are in fact European companies and I don't know where they will stand.. Off the top of my head is Santander which is a Spanish company

When Scotland went through the referendum lots of companies said they would move their offices down to England and there was the risk of job losses. I can only imagine the same would happen if we left the EU.

As a pp said... Hopefully we will see some debates shown on Tv before the vote.

I'm definitely voting to stay. I might be wrong but anything David Cameron says is a good idea must be a bad idea! Tbh I can't see how the business thing will affect me

I'm definitely voting to stay. I might be wrong but anything David Cameron says is a good idea must be a bad idea! Tbh I can't see how the business thing will affect me

Cameron is saying to stay though?

It's Boris Johnson campaigning to leave. I'm not sure which is more of a joke!! Boris or Cameron!?!?

Oh whoops. Ha ha. Shows how much I know! Oh god don't tell me I agree with something he says!

Oh whoops. Ha ha. Shows how much I know! Oh god don't tell me I agree with something he says!

Haha! It's all really confusing isn't it? Ive been looking at the polls they've been doing in some areas too and looks like it could really go either way!

Haha! It's all really confusing isn't it? Ive been looking at the polls they've been doing in some areas too and looks like it could really go either way!

I think they're very sneaky and choosing to do all this at a time when there's lots going on anyway, all of which I think is bad. I knew Boris and Cameron were opposites I just forgot which was which! Idk whether I'm just becoming a grown up or what but the world seems very scary right now!

I agree with you. I think everything seems scarier when you have children, and you know our choices today, will effect their future.

Well Hamburg alone has 35000 british people. They would all have to get a permanent residence and foreign insurance. They also wouldnt be eligible for unemployment funds either.
Besides the majority of the UK's trade is with Europe. It would need new trade deals with all the states in Europe.

I agree with you. I think everything seems scarier when you have children, and you know our choices today, will effect their future.

Agree. It is scary knowing that this decision will affect our children. I became an "adult" right when the recession began. I got my first full time job working in a bank, only to find 4 weeks later they had been brought out by the government. Previous to that I had spent months looking for a job with no joy and only fell into the job by shear luck. I have no decent pension and I know that I will probably be Working till I'm 75 and if I'm lucky will have a state pension. I made a silly decision to rent and feel like now I will never own my own home, instead I pay huge amounts in rent.
I guess my point is, I don't want that for my children. I'm afraid though of what will happen if we were to leave. What will happen to jobs, which I think out of everything is the most important thing. I hate the idea of anyone loosing their job.
In mk we have serveral head offices, all large based here (close to London but cheaper) Santander, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Amazon, that I can think of off the top of my head. How will this affect them? Will they be forced to move? Will some jobs be lost due to increase jobs? Too many question marks

I haven't made up my mind up yet but I am swaying towards staying in.

My main concerns are trade and EU funding. I live in Teesside and we get quite a lot of funding from EU for various things including Colleges. I honestly don't trust the Government to match the funding if we leave. They forced the hard closure of our Steel Works laying off thousands (that could have been saved via EU funding ironically)

In terms of trade, no one knows what will happen to this until after the referendum happens and that just doesn't sit right with me. There has been alot of predictions from both sides but that's all they are.

I just think giving our current Government free reign (who appear to be hell bent of destroying everything from industry, eduction and NHS) without the back up of the EU (& their workers rights) is grant frankly a very scary thought.

I haven't made up my mind up yet but I am swaying towards staying in.

My main concerns are trade and EU funding. I live in Teesside and we get quite a lot of funding from EU for various things including Colleges. I honestly don't trust the Government to match the funding if we leave. They forced the hard closure of our Steel Works laying off thousands (that could have been saved via EU funding ironically)

In terms of trade, no one knows what will happen to this until after the referendum happens and that just doesn't sit right with me. There has been alot of predictions from both sides but that's all they are.

I just think giving our current Government free reign (who appear to be hell bent of destroying everything from industry, eduction and NHS) without the back up of the EU (& their workers rights) is grant frankly a very scary thought.

This

im so glad you posted this, i agree its far too confusing for me. from reading these replies i think id probably vote to stay.

Exactly Lindsey I don't want the government to have any more power either! Things like working time directive, protected mat pay. As far as I know they are European initiatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->