*VR* Sperm results for us Girls xxxx

Hi Mrs Essex and everyone else :wave:
It's been a while since I posted on here just trying to get over hubby's terrible sperm results it's kind of knocked me for six.
We've been referred to the FS so will probably have an appointment in 4 weeks but they told us at the open evening that we would never get preggers naturally and would need ISCI (form of IVF) :cry:
Not sure hubby would go for it, not sure i could face it but I'm 39 now and time is running out.
Anyway sorry to be depresing ladies we are still :sex:at the right time I'm ovulating in the next 24-48 hours so hubby will be working like a dog for the next few days as well as last night!! You never know we could defy science and get preggers on our own!
Here's hoping we all get our :bfp:in 2011 (maybe 2010 for Mrs Essex!!)
Have a great Chrimbo all and I hope to see some preggers annoucements in the New Year
:dust:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey :hugs:

I'm sorry to hear about your hubbies results :hugs: I can imagine the blow you are feeling right now.

Didn't you have a pregnancy last year, a chemical :hugs: so it is still a possibility :) maybe small but....

There was a girl on our thread and her fella had zero motility and like a few thousand sperm it was awful as he'd had an accident in that area. Anyway she started him on a shit load of vitamins, and literally the next month she fell, and is now over 9 weeks gone. Her story has given me hope at least and I cling onto that :hugs:

I wish you the best for next year for you and your family :hugs: keep in touch xxx

Motility
The motility of the sperm is evaluated. WebMD defines normal motility as 60% of observed sperm, or at least 8 million per millilitre, showing good forward movement.[2] The World Health Organization has a similar value of 50% and this must be measured within 60 minutes of collection. WHO also has a parameter of vitality, with a lower reference limit of 60% live spermatozoa.[8] A man can have a total number of sperm far over the limit of 20 million sperm cells per milliliter, but still have bad quality because too few of them are motile. However, if the sperm count is very high, then a low motility (for example, less than 60%) might not matter, because the fraction might still be more than 8 million per millilitre. The other way around, a man can have a sperm count far less than 20 million sperm cells per millilitre and still have good motility, if more than 60% of those observed sperm cells show good forward movement.

A more specified measure is motility grade, where the motility of sperm are divided into four different grades:[12]

Grade 4: Sperm with progressive motility. These are the strongest and swim fast in a straight line. Sometimes it is also denoted motility a.
Grade 3: (non-linear motility): These also move forward but tend to travel in a curved or crooked motion. Sometimes also denoted motility b.
Grade 2: These have non-progressive motility because they do not move forward despite the fact that they move their tails.
Grade 1: These are immotile and fail to move at all.
[edit] MorphologyThe morphology of the sperm is also evaluated. With WHO criteria as described in 2010, a sample is normal if 4% or more of the observed sperm have normal morphology.[8]

Morphology is a predictor of success in fertilizing oocytes during in vitro fertilization.

Also, sperm cells with tail-tip swelling patterns generally have lower frequency of aneuploidy.[13]
Volume
The volume of the sample is measured. WebMD advises that volumes between 1.0 mL and 6.5 mL are normal;[2] WHO regards 1.5 ml as the lower reference limit.[8] Low volume may indicate partial or complete blockage of the seminal vesicles, or that the man was born without seminal vesicles.[1] In clinical practice, a volume of less than 2 mL in the setting of infertility and absent sperm should prompt an evaluation for obstructive azoospermia. A caveat to this is be sure it has been at least 48 hours since the last ejaculation to time of sample collection.
pHThe pH of the sample is measured. WebMD lists a normal range of 7.1-8.0;[2] WHO criteria specify normal as 7.2-7.8.[1] Acidic ejaculate (lower pH value) may indicate one or both of the seminal vesicles are blocked. A basic ejaculate (higher pH value) may indicate an infection.[1] A pH value outside of the normal range is harmful to sperm.[2]

Liquefaction
The liquefaction is the process when the gel formed by proteins from the seminal vesicles is broken up and the semen becomes more liquid. It normally takes less than 20 minutes for the sample to change from a thick gel into a liquid. An abnormally long liquefaction (more than 30 minutes at 37 24°C) time may indicate an infection.[citation needed] In the NICE guidelines, a liquefaction time within 60 minutes is regarded as within normal ranges.[14]

Total motile spermatozoa

Total motile spermatozoa (TMS)[17] or total motile sperm count (TMSC)[18] is a combination of sperm count, motility and volume, measuring how many million sperm cells in an entire ejaculate are motile.

Abnormalities
Aspermia: absence of semen
Azoospermia: absence of sperm
Hypospermia: low semen volume
Oligozoospermia: low sperm count
Asthenozoospermia: poor sperm motility
Teratozoospermia: sperm carry more morphological defects than usual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my hubbys original semen anylsis results after vasectomy reversal in 2008 4 weeks after opoeration,
Semen volume 2.5 ml (2 to 5)
Semen ph 7.7 (7.2 to 10)
semen liquification within 2 hrs
rapid progressive motility 14 % (25 to 100)
non progressive motility 24 %
sperm normal forms 6 (15 to 100)
spermatozoa 6 million/m (20 to 200)

Hi

Can I just ask please

After having the VR do you have to pay more to have the tests done for the results of Sperm Analysis's?

Thankyou

Hi

Can I just ask please

After having the VR do you have to pay more to have the tests done for the results of Sperm Analysis's?

Thankyou

Hi hon,

It really depends where you go. The post-op/aftercare varies wildly. ALL we got afterwards was OH had to post in his pot and they told us 'sperm was present'. No other information... we went to the normal NHS GP and he got a referral to get the SA.

So here are those long-awaited numbers! Some encouraging, some not so much... I think we understand most of it but the GP wasn't able to tell us what they mean by 'abnormal' appearance... apparently there's supposed to be a note on the bottom explaining this but there's not! Hmmmm...

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 45
So here are those long-awaited numbers! Some encouraging, some not so much... I think we understand most of it but the GP wasn't able to tell us what they mean by 'abnormal' appearance... apparently there's supposed to be a note on the bottom explaining this but there's not! Hmmmm...

Try not to feel down hun:hugs: remember V dh only had 4% count and she got her bfp...

i googled it and found this picture and notes, so dont knw if they will help you

Sperm morphology — the size and shape of sperm — is checked as part of a standard semen analysis for male infertility. The results of a sperm morphology exam indicate the percentage of sperm that appear normal when semen is viewed under a microscope.

Normal sperm have an oval head with a long tail. Abnormal sperm have head or tail defects — such as a large or misshapen head or a crooked or double tail. These defects may affect the ability of the sperm to reach and penetrate an egg.

However, having a large percentage of misshapen sperm isn't uncommon — and it won't necessarily keep a man from getting his partner pregnant. In fact, a sperm sample isn't considered out of the normal range unless most of the sperm are abnormally shaped. If pregnancy does occur, having abnormal sperm morphology doesn't increase the risk of having a child with birth defects.

In addition to sperm shape, a sperm analysis also checks the sperm's ability to move (motility) and the number of sperm present (sperm count). Motility problems and a low sperm count commonly occur along with abnormal sperm morphology, and can also affect male fertility.

Attachments

• sperm-morph.jpg
    sperm-morph.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks... It's crazy complicated, as much as we think we know from google and all, there're still unanswered things there. The GP did say to have it repeated in 2-3 months to see what's happening then. OH is now on wellman conception (he went and bought it himself! :cloud9:) so we'll see if it improves by next time (I'd obv prefer this to manifest as a :bfp: in the meantime lol!)

I'm gonna start temping to try and pinpoint what's happening when in my cycle cos it's been messing me about big-time for months now.
xxx

Well we toook the "POT OF GOLD" to the histopathology dept at worcester royal hospital today:blush: DH was quite embarrassed handing it over, especially when she asked "have you done it in the hour??" He said she knows what i was doing a hour ago now:blush::haha::haha::haha: bless him

Appointment is all booked for Mr. Chen on the 26th January at 6pm:happydance:

Anyone wanna but their bid on how many million per ml ? :haha:

Thanks... It's crazy complicated, as much as we think we know from google and all, there're still unanswered things there. The GP did say to have it repeated in 2-3 months to see what's happening then. OH is now on wellman conception (he went and bought it himself! :cloud9:) so we'll see if it improves by next time (I'd obv prefer this to manifest as a :bfp: in the meantime lol!)

I'm gonna start temping to try and pinpoint what's happening when in my cycle cos it's been messing me about big-time for months now.
xxx

I can highly recommend temping hun! it really does help pinpoint ov!!
Boots do a lovely pack of a themometer, and chart booklet it recognises the slightest temp increase which is rally important when your temping!

Good luck with it..... and sending you loads of :dust: for your new cycle xx

Well we toook the "POT OF GOLD" to the histopathology dept at worcester royal hospital today:blush: DH was quite embarrassed handing it over, especially when she asked "have you done it in the hour??" He said she knows what i was doing a hour ago now:blush::haha::haha::haha: bless him

Appointment is all booked for Mr. Chen on the 26th January at 6pm:happydance:

Anyone wanna but their bid on how many million per ml ? :haha:

:rofl:

I remember OH going in... we live too far away to guarantee getting it in within the hour - so he had to go use the, erm, 'facilities' :rofl: Luckily he's not shy!!!! :haha:

Re : Pot of Gold : I dunno but really high I reckon! Sperminator!!!

I want to say really high, but it could be anything!! lol I mean look at my DH, 1million p/ml with only 4% swimming and that did the trick! lol So I'm going to say somewhere between 5-15 million p/ml lol, wouldnt it be amazing if it was only 1 million like my DH, how shocked would you be then??? lol

xxx

I can highly recommend temping hun! it really does help pinpoint ov!!
Boots do a lovely pack of a themometer, and chart booklet it recognises the slightest temp increase which is rally important when your temping!

Good luck with it..... and sending you loads of :dust: for your new cycle xx

Thanks :) OH came back today with the Clear Blue digital OPK thingy with 7 strips :cloud9:
So will be trying that this month. Might get that thermometer etc too, just to cover all angles! With these wonky cycles I could end up wasting the strips on the wrong days :wacko:

we had our SA results today,
Mr Chen said that we have sperm present and then he said atually you have alot more than normally to be expected :happydance:

Overall sperm count was 257 million :thumbup:
Sperm count per ml was 52.5million per ml :thumbup:
and 15% sluggish/non swimmers but he said with the higher count that the % per ml is tiny...
im assuming this means he has 85% motility (as 15% are dodgy)
He also said the ejaculate quality is higher too, whatever this means think he meant the amount he ejaculates :haha:
and he would expect this to improve by the 12mth mark:)

So we are really please

we are now 16 months post VR so after lots of BFN i made him take another test (they hate it don't they ) i wasn't good.
The first test (last year)said 40 million all good.
This week we got told 16 million only 40% motility and 93% igG antibodies :cry:
I 've read up loads since and it sounds bad , thinking now icsi is our only chance ??
Any one had similar stats ?
Or had icsi and it worked ?

we are now 16 months post VR so after lots of BFN i made him take another test (they hate it don't they ) i wasn't good.
The first test (last year)said 40 million all good.
This week we got told 16 million only 40% motility and 93% igG antibodies :cry:
I 've read up loads since and it sounds bad , thinking now icsi is our only chance ??
Any one had similar stats ?
Or had icsi and it worked ?

Hi there sorry to hear your results:hugs: im sure their are 2 ladies on here that have had icsi and are now pregnant... Live in hope will know more :hugs:

Hey! There are two ladies who had IUI and are now pregnant, although I dont know the difference between ICSI and IUI? Think ICSI maybe with donor sperm??? :shrug: I'm not 100% sure on that. But SEEJAY and SEOJ both had success after their IUI's after their Vas reversals wern't a success. Hope your ok, please remember, like I said in my PM, we have all been exactly where you are and being a part of the VR wags is a great way to share your feelings etc. :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"