Waiting five years to be old enough

PearPeachPlum

Reaction score
I'm 25 at the moment and we want to be 30 when we have a baby. So only five more years to wait...

It sounds like a long time, but I'm sure it will go quicker than I think. I have plenty to do to keep me entertained until then.

Is anyone else waiting a long time to be old enough?

I'm not waiting that long now, but we had our daughter when I was 32 and that was perfect. We weren't even really "waiting" that long then, only about 9 months after we got married before we started to TTC. But I just wanted to say I think that sounds like a wonderful plan. I had friends who were having their children when we were in our 20s and I have friends who still haven't now (I'm 35) and I think whatever works, but for me, around 30 was a good age. I had a great time in my 20s. I got to focus on myself and be really selfish and develop my career and travel and live overseas. When we did decide to have our daughter, I think we both really felt like we did everything we wanted to do before the pace of life changed (and it is a huge change!). So I don't look back with any regrets on waiting until then. It was perfect timing.

How come you're waiting so long? I a, 27 now and had my boy when I was 25. Totally ready and he's the best thing that ever happened to us. Age is just a number!

May I ask why you think you need to be 30 to be old enough?

I ask because I am 25 too and am contemplating starting to TTC soon, but have also been pulled back by the thought that I'm not "old enough". But isn't age just a number? I have a graduate degree, a job in my field, I'm married and own a home. I'm not sure what else could change in my life to make me more "ready" between now and 30 (except maybe paying off my student loans).

I think the only reason I feel like I "should" wait is because many people around me waited until then. But I feel like internally I'm coming around to having kids sooner (hubs is 28 and ready now).

I was just curious do you feel like this five year need to wait is more internally or externally derived?

My partner and I are both 24, live together and have been together 5 years. We both want children but don't feel we are ready. I don't have an arbitrary age in my head. I just know that I don't quite feel ready now and would like to do more before we try i.e. do some more travelling, buy a house.

I don't think waiting for a preset age to be 'old enough' to have children is wise. It shows that you believe age is more than just a number and that your wisdom, experience, and relationship count for less than they really do.

Have children when you and your husband are ready, and don't look to a calendar to decide when that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->