waiting for mc, advise please!

slg76

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am going through a missed miscarriage. I am "8.5 weeks" along but the baby never developed past 6 weeks. In my scan today the doctor said the sac is still 10mm and the fetal pole has shrunk to 3mm. I'm hoping to wait for the pregnancy to pass naturally. Can I have some stories about what to expect during a mc about this far along? Would you suggest medication? I was also offered a procedure in her office with local anesthetic.

ahhh slg, I was really hoping not to see you here :( I'm so sorry for you loss.

I was 8.5 weeks baby stopped growing at 6.5, for me there was no sign of miscarrying naturally.. so I took misoprotol, for me it was actually not so bad, I had read too many stories and was petrified... but I took the meds (vaginally) at 7 pm, then by 10 pm I started cramping and passed about 1 big clot per hour until about 3 am... by 3pm the next day the bleeding stopped. I was a little afraid that I wasn't done, so 48 hrs after my first dose, I did a second dose and had no cramping and no more clots, so I'm hoping that means I'm done.. I am now having what seems like a normal cycle.... once I stop bleeding I'll head in for an ultrasound to be sure... then it's TTC for me!!!

So all of that to say I have no idea :)

Take care of yourself, thinking of you.

Kim

Hi Kim, Yes it's a bummer that we both end up here. I hate that this is happening but I'm so glad that I don't have to wait and wonder anymore. My doctor said that today in the scan she could see the pregnancy starting to detach and I've had cramps for a couple days now. I'm hoping that means I'll beed sooner rather than later.

Your story makes it sound like the medication might be less awful if you have less tissue to pass. I'll probably give it a week to take care of itself. If these cramps stick around that long then I might as well make them a little worse for a day and be done with it.

I got my hcg back from today. Interestingly it hasn't dropped at all. 22,000 just like last week. My fertility doctor will follow my hcg down and she says lets get going again on that first cycle. I actually have a fridge full of fertility meds that I hadn't used yet so I'm ready to go! Now we can be tic buddies :friends:

Take care,
Sara

Hi slg ive just had two back to mc like this and both so different. The first one began with spotting and when i had a scan the next day, i should of been close to 8/9 weeks they saw no hb and a six week pregnancy, i was offered meds to help the mc but went for natural as the bleeding had started, two days later i passed the "baby" i bled about a week total and it was very wmotional for me. In fact when i did pass the "baby" it fell into my pad so i oicked it up and held it...

I fell pregnant right away and knew in my heart it wasnt right. I was offered an early scan bcos of the orevious mc so i went at 7 weeks +4 and saw a pregnancy that was again 6ish weeks no hb, i was crushed but bcos i hadnt had a oeriod yet the mw said kets give it a week. Went back at "8+3" and no change in fact the fetus did shrink :( so the mw said lets wait a week to mc naturally if not come back. She said sometimes when you know in your heart/head it triggers the body to ket it go.
My body held on another week and i finally started bleeding at 9+4 but this time it was dramatic and i bled to much ended up in hospital, they wante to d&c but when the bleeding slowed down after i lost the "baby" i opted not to.

So thats my experience :)

I had cramps all day yesterday that were stronger than what I had been having last week. I took some Advil and that helped. These were bad enough that I had to lay down to let them pass. I'm worried that I will cramp like this for a week and not bleed. Not even a spot of blood yet.

Do you know if your hcg levels have to start falling before you will bleed? Mine haven't risen but also haven't fallen at all yet.

ahh sarah I was thinking about wondering how you're feeling today, I think that's a positive sign that the cramping is worse... but frustrating that there's no blood yet... sigh.. who would think we'd be thinking this way.. urggg.. I'm still no help to you :) I asked the same sort of question last week, and I don't think there's a real answer... are your symptoms fading? that would be a sign that your levels are starting to come down?

How long are you going to wait before you decide to do something else? Have you given yourself a timeline?

Like I said for me the meds weren't bad, but for some they are, I knew this and that was scary for me, because I didn't know how my body would react, it was a crap shoot until I was in it. My OH was very supportive and gave me the little push I needed to just do it.

good luck, let me know how you're doing?

Kim

I've had several natural m/c and each one has been slightly different but the general gist is that you should have cramping and/or bleeding that will escalate as your body starts miscarry. Mine have been between 7 and 9+4 weeks and started with spotting that turned into actual bleeding with clots and cramps. The cramps started out as mild period cramps but picked up until I passed the gestational sac. Usually tylenol works to take the edge off the pain and I bleed (like a regular period) for up to 10 days afterward. Most of my m/c have started and been over in a matter of hours but I've had a few that took a few days for everything to pass. Hopefully things pick up here and you'll pass things naturally (if that's what you want to do.)

I have to comment about your taking Advil. I'd ask your doctor if it's okay to take ibuprofen as that and aspirin can cause bleeding issues. I've been advised to take only Tylenol unless I've gotten the okay from the dr to take something else. Other things that might help are a hot water bottle or heat pad to help ease the cramping, drink lots of water since it'll help flush things out, and keep a stack of magazines/books/videos handy to keep yourself occupied. I'll be thinking of you. :hugs:

Hey dairymomma it's funny you should say that about the advil, I had read that on here so I asked my doctor and she said no problem take the advil, it will help more with the cramping. Then just to be sure I checked again with the pharmacist when i picked up my meds and he said yup no problem taking the advil... I guess if you had a history or a propensity to heavy bleeding... but as you say always good to check with doc before you take anything :)

Yeah that's true and I DO have an issue with bleeding so I know that's why I've been told to stick with Tylenol if I can. I was told to avoid ibuprofen way back with my first few m/c though, before we even knew I had fertility issues, and I know I've seen other comments about it on there too. Just thought I'd pass it on and it's always good to double-check meds just in case. Glad you can take it as I usually use Advil over Tylenol for period cramps anyway. It just seems to work better for me and that's why it sucks that I can't take it when I'm pg or m/c.

thanks for your stories and the heads up about the pain relievers. I didn't even think about increasing the bleeding. I almost never take anything so it didn't cross my mind. My doctor did say Advil but I will be careful not to take too much. It really did help the pain yesterday. Thanks for watching out for me ;) Funny to say it but I'm disappointed that the cramps are much less today.

I was really hoping to pass everything naturally but now I'm feeling more anxious to have it over with. My husband has a few days off work next week so I think that if I haven't started to bleed by then I will get the medication and take it while he is at home. I have a 3 year old so I will need him to occupy her if my pain gets to bad of if I'm stuck in the bathroom.

I changed my signature so it doesn't read I'm pregnant anymore. Sad. This is in my personality but it makes me feel better to "take care of business". Changing my sig and telling the few people that knew about the pregnancy that I miscarried is helping me feel like I'm moving on.

Sarah I know what you mean.. I've even told a few people ho didn't even know today... it felt oddly okay... I guess it means I'm starting to move on too... I really want to buy a hpt and see if it's positive or not... I'm a little afraid to though...

I really hope things happen like you're hoping, and if not I'd say having your hubby around is a good idea, I took mine at 7 pm, after my 1 yr old was in bed and my 6 yr old was with his father... it worked out pretty well for me...

:( with my first mc it started naturally n my sons birthday, i hewas 4 and my daughters second birthday wastwo weeks kater, on my sons 4th birthday i spent the day half crying and cramping next to him on the sofa :( it was the saddest day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->