Waiting on AF after stopping BC pill

Patient girl

Reaction score
Looking for opinions.... Given how long it can take for AF to return after years of being on bcp (14 yrs to be precise), when is the right time to take first pregnancy test? My cycles were fairly regular before bcp from what I can remember. Oh, and my withdrawal bleed started on 1st jan, so this weekend takes me to 28 days. We're ntnp just now, so don't know when I O'd this month although I am seeing/ feeling lots of post bcp symptoms!!
Thanks! :dust:

Well, if you were charting or using OPK, you would have a little better idea... But without having even one cycle off the pill, you really can't know where you are at the moment.

Assuming that your cycles become perfectly normal right away and it's the classic 28 days, then you can test already :)

I would say it's worth testing - my first cycle off the pill (after 11 years of continuously taking it) was 31 days. You do hear stories of people waiting months for AF but the majority of women get back to normal pretty fast. Can't hurt to test to put your mind at rest. :D

my first cycle off the pill was 33 days, i'm hoping that this month will be the same or similar so i know my body is regulating.
There is no harm in doing a hpt, but as you don't know when you ovulated it could be that your cycles off of BC will be longer.
Good luck if you do a HPT.

x

I came off BCP exactly same time as you and AF began 1st Jan too. Think my AF has been arriving very slowly since yesterday which is unusual because it's normally just here in full flow on 1st day of AF. I did experience slight brown spotting about a week ago which lasted half a day then went.

Hi Ladies!

I came off BCP November, had a 34 day cycle and have just started a new cycle after 27days so your cycles can get back to normal pretty much straight away. Every body is different though, i'm on my 4th cycle now TTC after 5 years on the pill. You hear people who get pregnant after 1 cycle coming off the pill but i'm just greatful for last month being a 27day cycle :)

Best of luck and fary dust!

My cycles went pretty much straight back to normal after coming off the pill - was on it for around 14 years too.

TEST!!:flower:

Hello Patient Girl!

It took me 22 days after stopping BC to get my first period. It can take a while for your body to get back on a normal cycle, and get your first period. I was on BC for about as long as you... and I'm now cycling normally.

Of course it is always a possibility that you're pregnant, so take a test and see! You would have had to ovulate soon after stopping BC to be pregnant.

Wish you a lot of luck!

Ok, I bought tests at lunchtime (felt like a naughty school girl, lmao!), and will test on Sunday with fmu if there's no sign of AF by then. I can see this ttc stuff is going to be expensive business!
Thanks ladies!

Meant to say, so far this month I've had splitting headaches, dizziness, random zits, really strange discharge last wk (tmi - big blob of clear/ brown jelly and then nothing) and bad cramps. Oh the joys of coming off bcp! On the plus side, my libido is through the roof! ;)

Oh, I have NEVER broken out as bad as I did when I came off BC. Face, chest, neck, back... everywhere. It was awful. It subsided after a little more than a month. I also would get hot all of a sudden, and I was pretty grumpy at times. I never had breakthrough bleeding though. Just a period after 22 days. Never having experienced a real cycle, I read into every single sign my body gave me and hoped it pointed to PG, but no.... :( Just started AF today again. I'm determine this month to get BFP!!!!!!! Let us know what your test says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meant to say, so far this month I've had splitting headaches, dizziness, random zits, really strange discharge last wk (tmi - big blob of clear/ brown jelly and then nothing) and bad cramps. Oh the joys of coming off bcp! On the plus side, my libido is through the roof! ;)

LOL, I know what you mean about the libido! Really annoyed me to realise what I'd been missing out on! :D

Good luck with testing :thumbup:

Well I tested & BFN - not really surprised tbh since it's only month 1. Still no sign of AF though. :growlmad:

Aw, sorry hun. Wait a week or so and test again if no AF maybe? She could well be on the way soon. :D I remember it felt like my first AF off the pill would never come, then I just woke up one morning and she's got me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->