Waiting to go to dr... is this smart?

ACNewt

Reaction score
My insurance will not kick in until I am 10 weeks. I have known I am pregnant since Oct 21st and the day I found out I started taking pre-natal vitamins and cut out caffeine completely. I have been doing my best to eat well and take it easy. But I see people going to the Dr at 6 weeks, 7 weeks.... It's not that I don't want to go but I can't afford to without insurance. Is this harmful to my baby? Everything seems to be going well... I have nausea, boobs hurt, moody. Cramping sometimes but I haven't bled at all. Sometimes I forget I am pregnant! This is my first pregnancy so I was told waiting til 10 weeks would be ok if I wasn't having any issues. I just hope it is. I also worry because I am overweight that I am considered high-risk and should be in the Dr sooner. Sigh. I feel like I am screwing this up already...

I didnt see my midwife till 9 weeks (if it had been 10 it wouldnt have made any difference). So long as you are fit and healthy taking folic acid I dont think it will benefit you seeing anyone earlier.

Edit: Sorry I just read the bit about you being overweight and thus possibly high risk. Has to be your decision.

that's right hun. In the UK, the doctor doesn't do anything other than get yo ua midwife appointment. Then when you see the midwife anytime from 8 weeks to 11 weeks, they don't do much, just take your blood pressure and weight and take some bloods but these can wait a few weeks longer. My midwife couldn't get any blood so it was a week later when I actually got them done.

If you're fit and healthy, I think you'd be fine to wait until 10 weeks.

If ur not bleeding or having sever cramps, I wouldn't worry. Some doctors don't want to see their patients till 12 weeks anyways. :) No worries! ur not doing anything wrong, just continue taking ur viteams and eating good.

I'm overweight and not seeing the doctor until I'm 10 weeks because they don't want to see me til then! Just cut out all the bad stuff (you can find what you can and cannot eat on the internet pretty easily) and take your prenatal.

here in the UK we may see a doctor or midwife at 8 weeks but they dont do scans till 12 weeks so i cant see it being a massive issue. plus you here about people that didnt know they where pregnant right away and my friend went for her 12 week scan and found out she was 17 weeks, she was so shocked that she hadnt realised she was so far along!!

As long as you are looking after yourself, taking vitamins etc (which you are doing) there isnt going to be much difference in seeing a doc now or when you are 10 weeks!!

xx

I didn't see my doctor until this Monday at 10 weeks, 3 days.

My first appointment is at 10 weeks and with my daughter it was 9 weeks and they did nothing "medical" until 12 weeks when I had a blood test. I would wait and save up the money for things you need for the baby.

I don't think it's a problem unless you start having issues pop up. I know that if I am pregnant this cycle, I won't make a Dr appt for quite awhile either because my insurance doesn't cover pregnancy. I will probably wait until month 3 to make an appointment unless I can find something to offset the costs. I've even thought of waiting until month 4 but I'm not sure if I can wait that long since I like having the early u/s.

Unless you've had previous issues or losses in pregnancy, my doctor doesn't schedule your first appointment until 8- 10 weeks. Unless you have reason for concern- which is doesn't sound like you do- I think it's just fine waiting until your insurance kicks in. I wouldn't worry!!! Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!

I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons. I got my BFP on the 7th of this month. This is my first pregnancy and my insurance won't kick in until next month when DH gets hired. I just put in an appointment request today actually. I know they won't want to see me til 10 weeks anyway since I don't have any complications.

As you did, I started cutting out bad stuff - luckily I'd modified my diet in the weeks prior to TTC so it wasn't that difficult - and I started taking a prenatal vitamin.

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

Thank you so much for all your kind replies! You have no idea how much you reassured me. :hugs:

Alot of doctors in the US do not see patients until they are 12 weeks. (by then the risk of m/c goes way down or something) I have been seeing doctor since 4 weeks monthly just because of early m/c last time, but it is perfectly normal to wait until your insurance kicks in, unless there is concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->