Waking with numb hands!?

jdoxakis

Reaction score
I will be 14 weeks in a few days. I have been waking up with both hands completely numb. It started with my left hand and now it is both. I always lay on my left side but end up on my back still. Scares me to death because with my last son toward the end of my term I would wake up and my entire side and arm would be numb, my arm would be limp and lifeless.

I had this around 14 weeks when I would wake up on my back. It hasn't happened in a while. I've been making more of an effort to sleep on my sides and I do a little yoga to stretch out any trapped nerves. sorry i can't be of more help.

sounds like carpal tunnel hun,

its where you get swelling in your wrists which traps the nerves running to your hands. i got it last time i was pregnant and i know its really horrible! i used to have to sleep sitting up.

if you see your doc or mw they can refer you to a physio who will give you some splints to sleep in but i never really found them that helpful.

the good thing tho is it most of the time it goes as soon as baby is born.

:hug:

It happened a bit with me last month, but I've made a conscious effort to drink more water, to try and reduce the water retention, and it has made a big difference (although now I need to pee more). Maybe try that?

Hey! I was a maternity physiotherapy class the other day and she described the numbness in the hand thing...it sounds to me that u mite have carpal tunnell syndrome! U can get a wee brace thing that goes on ur wrist that gets rid of it!!

One reason why this concerns is because my OB said to watch out for swollen hands, something to do with high blood pressure. My BP has been good so far. When I woke with the numb hands I looked at my hands to see if they were swollen, they didn't really appear to be but they were stiff. They felt swollen but did not look it. Probably because of the numb sensation. I have never had this before.

is carpal tunnel a symptom of pregnancy?
It isnt a symptom of pregnancy just something that you can develop.

I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and what you are describing sounds how mine started. It started when I was about 14 weeks and has gotten worse since. It gets painful sometimes now. I was given braces to wear on my wrists when sleeping but they havnt really helped. x

i had that and it was carpel tunnel, if u see doc they will refer you to get splints to stop you sleeping funny on wrists. I had one operated on in october, I suffered through being a musician and i opted for general anathetic, meant to be getting other one done this summer but 3ill have to be under local. I know when pregnany though it should clear fter pregnancy x

Yes, I was told that if you have health problems(back problems, carpel tunnel, etc) they usually rear their head during pregnancy, whether it is something that bothers you day to day or not.
A lot of times they just sort of "show up" when you are pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->