Walking question

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by poppy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. poppy

poppy Mum of Three

How old was your baby when he or she started walking?

Tristan is 14 and 1/2 months old and is still not walking. He is really close to it though: he can crawl really well, pulls himself up easily, cruises and can walk holding on. He can actually hold on with just one hand and stands fairly straight, bearing weight really well. However, he doesn't seem to have the balance or confidence just to let go and go for it himself.

I wasn't that worried until the HV said that the average was 12 months and that I should do heaps of practice with him with walking. We are doing heaps of things to try and encourage walking and I am not sure what else to do. If we move something away from him, he just sits down and crawls after it. She is happy with all his other gross motor developments and said that he bears weight really well and is happy on his feet which is a good sign and that he should just do it when he is good and ready. My sisters and I and my husband and his brother were all 'late' walkers(around 13 - 15 months)- so I am just wondering if this is hereditary.

What do you do?

2. MummyJo

MummyJo Mummy to 2 girls!

Babies that start walking at 18 months are still considered well within 'normal limits'. Average doesn't mean anything, your silly HV.

If your little one is fine with weight bearing and can cruise etcetera I doubt there is anything 'wrong'.
    Of course you can try and help him along by practicing and holding his hands walking around and such but he sounds like he's doing just fine.
    Walking is a lot about confidence as well as the physical ability and some are ready sooner than others. Think how scary it must be to go from being carried everywhere, to shuffling close on the floor, to crawling still pretty low down.. to having to stand on your own and wander about!!

He'll be there soon. Never know he may give you a wonderful Xmas present and take his first 'lone' steps on Christmas day!

3. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Still waiting here too Poppy! I dont do anything. My FIL was almost 2 apparently. She has lots of opportunities to practice as she's free range pretty much all the time. She has a push along style walker and she used it for the first time yesterday...it ran away with her though! :lol: I'm going to the HV clinic tuesday so I'll see what they say if anything - I havent been in months as it falls on a work day.

x

4. luckyme225

luckyme225 Well-Known Member

I was just reading something that said the average was 12-15 months so I wouldn't worry yet. :hugs: Sounds like your little one is close!

5. Wellington

Wellington Mum of 3!

Hello!

Mine will be 14 months on Christmas day. She isn't walking yet - much to the concern of all the grandparents (maybe we aren't encouraging enough etc etc. Yawn)

I was a later walker and she can do pretty much what Tristan can do. I think her problem is more about confidence to finally let go and just go for it.

Honestly, I'm not going to really start worrying about it until she is 18 months old as this is the age at which doctors expect 95% of toddlers to be walking. Even at 18 months, it could be an indication of a problem, or just lateness still!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things at the moment, he'll do it when he wants to...and probably when you least expect it!

6. sparkle

sparkle Wife, Mumma....

Cormack is almost 14 months and isn't walking yet either. He sounds like Tristan in what he can do. OH was 14 months when he walked but I was nearly 19 so I suspect it might be hereditory!

7. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

:hugs: As the others have said I think Tristan still falls well within the "normal" parameters for walking and wouldn't worry yourself over it. Silly HV

8. poppy

poppy Mum of Three

Thanks girls! That really puts my mind at rest. He does seem pretty close at the moment. I am going to try and not worry and let him do it in his own time.

xxx

9. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Now if you said he was struggling with his calculus and comprehension of the literary greats then I'd be worried...... :winkwink:

10. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

Freddie started walking on his own about a week ago and hasn't stopped since! he never properly crawled just did commando style! i really wouldn't worry tho hon, i know lots of friends whose babies were around 16 months before they walked on their own xx

all of a sudden he will just get it and there will be no stopping him! x

11. Blob

Blob Sarah :)

I wouldnt worry :hugs: Tabs started walking a while ago but lots of her friends arent :)

12. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

sounds like he's doing great hon, ignore your hv. mads started walking just before her 1st birthday, and cruising a few months prior. i think as long as they are happy and healthy (which he obviously is) i wouldn't worry hon xx

13. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

I thought walking before 12 months was quite unusual, not average... Finn is just taking his first steps now, and he was doing the standing unsupported thing a couple of weeks before so it sounds like hes really close anyway! Finn just takes 3 steps to me or to the nice soft bean bag, if that helps. But I didnt do anything to encorage him, cept buy him a little trolley to push along. Which he now pushes to naughty places and climbs on like a mobile step to the high up forbidden zones.. so im not sure that was a good idea! LOl

14. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

i thought th average was about 14months! i was 17months :lol: i'd ignore your hv, he'll do it when he's ready! my katie cant even pull herself up yet, but she's got a hip problem, so will take longer

15. angie0235

angie0235 Well-Known Member

Kathryn just the same as Tristin - cruising and weight bearing but hasn't taken steps on her own yet. Im getting comments from MIL and FIL too! It doesn't help when everyone you meet asks if they are walking yet!
    They all do it at their won pace. I keep repeating this to myself like a mantra as i was getting worried.

16. Cupcakeangel

Cupcakeangel Mum of 1, 1 on way

My little girl didn't start walking til she was 15 and a half months - about a week before the health visitor was going to come out and check on her. She said anything up to 17 months wasn't anything to worry about.

17. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

Charlotte was a it early. She went to a friends 1st bday party when she was 10mos and the 1y/os were starting to try walking and she watched them VERY intently. The next day she stood up (which she'd been doing about 3 weeks), let go and started walking w/almost no problem. We were amazed. When she went to the doc a week later for a cold and was walking w/o falling or holding on he looked at her and went, "Um...she shouldn't be able to do that yet." They all go at their own time. I'm thinking Austin might be a bit longer cause he's so BIG, might not be able to support himself...Char was TEENY (only 17lbs) when she started. He'll do it...there aren't any 16y/os that still crawl!

18. Bec L

Bec L Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy

Poppy is 15 months and not walking either. Very close but like you say, if you move away from her she just sinks into a crawl. They'll get there soon I'm sure :)

19. xx Jaymee xx

xx Jaymee xx proud mummy

Jaymee is nearly 14 months and doenst walk yet, and until last week only commando crawled. then in the past week (after staring at other babies at her group)she has realised she can pull herself up, climb and cruise.. I dont think you should worry my hv said its quite normal for babies not to walk to 16/17 months even then some might be later.
    xx

20. firstLO

firstLO Evie's mum & pregnant

My paediatrician told me if the parents are late walkers then chances are the child will be too. He also said they only worry after 18 months. My sister's kids both didn't walk til 18 months and they're fine they just took after her!