walking, talking and hitting!!!

wantabump

Reaction score
So...my LO still isnt walking! He has managed the odd few steps (max of about 5 steps unaided) but thats it! If i try to make him stand he cries and goes on his knees! He can stand unaided for 30seconds plus. Should I be worried?

Also, he says mama, dada and thats it! I think he may have said book yesterday but not sure. Im worried he is falling behind... i read to him constantly and talk to him all day long, any other tips?

Finally, he hits everything. He slaps people on the head, and hits if you try to pick him up or change his nappy. He throws everything off his highchair (quite fiercely) and just seems aggresive. I have tried saying "NO" and tried ignoring him but it doesnt work. What can i do? is this normal?

It honestly sounds normal to me. He is about 14 months right? Abigail is 13 months and she does not walk, neither can she take any steps or stand unaided. She also has very few real words, but I think her language is coming along OK as she talks all day long in her own language - babbling! As for hitting, I think this too is a normal stage that they go through. Abigail hasn't done this yet, but she does have tantrums when I try to get her dressed or change her nappy, simply becasue she wants to go where she pleases and not stay in one place and be dressed! She also throws her cup and spoon off her high chair tray when she's had enough! I honestly don't think at his age that he is falling behind at all. I know it's SOOOOO hard (and I am terrible for this myself) but do try not to compare him with other children, because at this age there is just such a huge variation in what they can and can't do and the range that is considered 'normal' is massive.

Hi hun, all are normal. 1-3 words is the average between 12-14 months, & some toddlers dont start talking before they'r 18 months. Walking is the same.

As for hitting & throwing stuff, Omar is the same those days, he thinks it's funny to hit us, I dont say no, I just hold his hand & move it gently on my face & he's started to get the idea. He still hits us but less than before.

He also throw things around esp while eating. I just ignore him when he throws food & I dont offer him more as I know he's not in the mood to eat. He used to throw the remote control, my mobile, etc. but I started to ask him to handle them to me or his dad, & now he picks things he's not suppose to hold & gives them to us, then he claps his hands.

He understands no, but I try to use it much, as it looses it's meaning if I use it all day.

They'r hard work at this age. xxx

13 months here and LO has a few words. His walking has taken off this week and he can go halfway across the room now but he has been cruising since 9 months at least so it's taken him yonks to get to this stage. My cousin walked at 16 months!!!

As for throwing things, well oh my word Kai likes to launch his cups and food off of his highchair when he is done with them. No matter how many times I tell him no and why we musn't throw things, he just laughs in my face!!! He also has taken to hitting people and himself and thinking it's funny.

I'm sure it's just a phase and they will grow out of it. They are learning so much very quickly at this age, I wouldn't worry too much whilst he is this young x x

Megan isnt walking yet. She does have words but that is not usual for kids this young. Like nmwb78 said - most kids this age have 1-3words.

Everything you described is typical toddler behavior. Not ALL toddlers will do these things - but a lot do. It is a phase & they will grow out of it. Megan likes to throw her cup & food off her highchair - either when she's done or sometimes just to get attention. Its honestly best to just ignore it - as if they get attention by doing it then they usually keep it up for longer.

Hitting, kicking, any type of tantrum behavior is typical at this age - some kids seem more agressive - they have a hard time expressing themselves. THese are usually the kids that arent so laid back. They have an opinion. Doesnt mean they are agressive kids. Continue showing him how to be nice & gentle & what is ok. Saying words outloud for him helps some kids when they cant express it themselves. Using choppy sentences & less words during those moments is more helpful than having an adult conversation w/ them. It helps them know that they are understood. If they are having a meltdown over a book - you say "book" you want the book?" or if they throw the book - you say - "book" "all done book?" Redirection & disctraction work well at this age too.

He will walk & talk when he is ready. All kids do things at their own pace. Doesnt mean they are behind or slow - its just how kids are. I've had smart daycare kids that were the last to learn to walk, crawl, scribble, talk, paint, run, etc - and they are very smart kids who are at the top of their class in school now - just cause it takes some kids longer - doesnt mean they wont get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->