Walnuts

nflores77

Reaction score
Just read this article about benefits of Walnuts during pregnancy. Thought I would share.

Health Benefits of Walnuts During Pregnancy
An amazing way to get a plant-based form of omega-3 fatty acids is through walnuts. Walnuts have more omega-3 fatty acids, especially alpha-linolenic acids, than other nuts. Omega-3 fats help the baby's developing nervous system, vision, concentration, understanding of words, and overall IQ as they get older, and they can help prevent the baby from having asthma and eczema. In just 1/4 cup of walnuts, about a handful, you get almost 100% of your daily needs for omega-3 fatty acids.

Walnut nutrition
In addition to omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts are simply packed with tons of healthful nutrients that will nourish your body and encourage the health and development of your growing baby.

The main walnut nutrients are calcium, potassium, vitamin B, fiber and magnesium, all of which can help prevent the blood from clotting too much, and improve your overall blood flow. Walnuts help prevent pregnancy-related hypertension, low birth weight, post-partum depression, and protects your blood vessels. In addition, vitamin E from gamma-tocopherol (rather than the common alpha-tocopherol) helps the body to rid itself of harmful free radicals.

Walnuts contain important anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and antioxidants, even some that are found nowhere else in nature. These phytonutrients help your circulatory system and blood vessels to perform at peak levels, which improves cardiovascular and heart health. This also helps push out the bad cholesterol in your body, lowering your total cholesterol level and reducing your risk of developing heart disease, even if you eat only a few walnuts each day.

Other Health Benefits of Walnuts:
The antioxidants in walnuts help to develop bones and collagen, in both you and your growing baby.
They help prevent and treat metabolic disorders, diabetes, cancer, weight loss, and numerous other illnesses.
They have melatonin in them, which helps to regulate sleep cycles and adjustment to the light and dark.
Another benefit of walnuts is that they help promote memory and cognitive response, so they help your baby's developing brain.
Because walnuts have a large amount of oil in them, they will spoil easily, so you should not keep them at room temperature. I store my walnuts in the refrigerator for up to six months, and any extra can stay in the freezer for up to a year.

To take advantage of all of these health benefits of walnuts, I like to keep little portions of them in my purse and desk, so when I need a little protein boost, it's ready for me.

Oh wow, I just made a banana and walnut cake the other day and have lots of walnuts left over :)

Thanjs for sharing! I have been enjoying pistachios and cashews so i think i'll be adding walnuts to my mix!! :)

Amazing. This is good to know thank you. Is this from a website with other food information? If so do you have a link?

I've been making a sugar free caramel slice. The base is made from walnuts coconut and dates :) (the caramel is made from coconut oil and almond butter).

Amazing. This is good to know thank you. Is this from a website with other food information? If so do you have a link?

I've been making a sugar free caramel slice. The base is made from walnuts coconut and dates :) (the caramel is made from coconut oil and almond butter).

Hi Spudtastic ~ I don't have the website but was only researching Walnuts since I had been told about the benefits while pregnant and wanted to share. Next time I will add the website with the copy/paste ;)

I was also researching the benefits of coconut oil... I need to try and consume more. I usually have one tsp a day in my decaf coffee but trying to increase the consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"