Want to BLW but DD loves purees?!

aevenstar

Mummy to Eleanor & Bean!
Reaction score
As it says! I really like the concepts and ideas behind BLW - seems to fit with my approach to parenting etc. DD's been sitting with us at tea time for ages, and happily plays with a spoon and her doidy cup etc.
But -I tried DD on some puree that we'd got in the weaning pack and she loved it! To be fair, it was more me loading the spoon and her getting it in her mouth, but it seems to be the opposite of what I wanted to do.
Tonight I gave her some steamed carrot sticks to try first, then used them as dippers into the pureed stuff - however, she still was quite happy to eat from the spoon instead.
I'm not sure whether this is OK - the common sense bit of me says that if she's happy, that's fine - but the part of me that's read the books says 'no! BLW means real food not puree you bad bad mummy!' :wacko:
I'm wondering about carrying on with the combination of finger foods and purees for now and seeing what happens?!
What's anyone else's experiences?

thanks in advance!

Rachel x

I do a bit of both and it seems to work well for me, somedays she will take from the spoon and others she wont, on the days she wont take from the spoon shes quite happy to eat things she can pick up herself, im happy knowing that shes happy with both so Im just going to carry on.

No reason why you can't do a bit of both. If you're going to do it on a spoon and want to stick to the thinking behind BLW, why not let her take control of the spoon? That way she'll still only be eating what she wants and be in control and won't be spoon fed as such. Purees are easier than finger foods so it might just be that she hasn't figured out the finger foods just yet. Given a bit of time I'd say she'll love them :D

I have been tryingto get emma to have non pureed stuff, but all she does is stick it in her gob, suck it or play with it then throw it somewhere. She doesn't actually eat any of it.

But she will 'chew' mashed stuff.

She did have toast the other day and she knew what to do and was taking the fingers ut the bowl and putting them in her mouth but she just makes them sloppy then spits most of it out.

thanks ladies - feel a bit better now!
I think we'll carry on as we are then - offering her finger foods and puree at each meal and see what she wants to do.
I'm going to stick with just tea for now, then move to breakfast as well once she's 6 months so I can give her things like toast, Wheatabix, yogurt etc - hopefully as she gets more used to it all she'll shift herself onto the finger foods.

It took Ruby about a month to learn to take a bite of a finger food, chew, move it to the back of her mouth and swallow deliberately. Finger foods take more time and patience, personally I'd hold off the purees because they are easier and she may get used to them. That's just my opinion though, I know lots of people combine puree and BLW.

We do both and it's not hindered his ability to eat finger foods. Just go with the flow and don't feel guilty about giving puree's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->