Wanted: Your top tips for travelling with a baby! (4 months, bottle fed)

mummySS

Mum of 2!
Reaction score
Hi ladies, we are off on holiday on Tuesday, I am super excited and have been meticulously planning what to take for little Leo. I stopped BF last week (long story - was previously combi-feeding) so I have to be really careful that I take enough bottles, sterilising kit etc.

I was really hoping for any advice from those of you who have travelled with LOs before. Anything regarding bottle sterilising, how to cope on the flight, what to take, etc etc. We are flying from London to Jamaica (10 hour flight - eek!) and staying on a beach resort there. The airline do not provide cots so I am stuck with Leo on mine or my DH's lap for 10 hours.

Top tips much appreciated! :flower:

My LO has done 3 long haul flights already so quite a novice flyer! Lol
I'm really surprised the airline dont provide a bassinet as its such a long flight. I had a separate wetbag in changing bag for using on plane, with just nappies, wipes, cream and bags. Makes it much easier than taking big change bag and theres never much room in airplane loos. Take spare clothes for LO and spare top for you just in case of any accidents. I found that having my LO in a sleep suit is easiest then I change her just before landing. Try to feed him as you take off and land, to help with his ears popping. At 4 months my LO slept most of the flight but when awake she was easy to entertain by walking round the plane.
As regards on holiday, I've got MAM bottles which sterilse in microwave but you could do cold water sterilisation with Milton tablets. I assume it's hot or warmer than uk, I would take vests, shorts and t shirts.
Sounds like a lovely holiday, sure you'll all have a lively time. Just relax and go with the flow with regards to LO, he will find his own routine once your settled in.
Sorry if really long, hope that helps. PM me if you want to ask anymore questions. Xx

dependin on what formula your using, from the big asda and boots you can buy 12 ready made bottles of sma gold, 100ml. i use them when im out and about with jake and he loves them, theyare in glass bottle which you can also put into hot water too heat up, and they come with teats as well.

https://www.boots.com/en/SMA-1-Firs...lk-Substitute-12-x-100ml-Starter-Pack_955186/

We have flown to and from the US as well as to and from London. I have a sleepy wrap which was fantastic for the airport and boarding the plane. We found that the trick for Phoebe was to prevent her from getting overstimulated in the airport and on the plane. If you have a baby carrier I would recommend using it. On the plane you can ask for a cup of hot water to warm the bottle in. I would bring a few pacifiers/dummies to use on the plane as well (in case it falls on the floor or someone touches it. Phoebe sucked on hers during take off and landing and did not have any trouble with the pressure changes. I found a pacifier clip to be really helpful as well. We forgot to use it on the flight and her only pacifier fell on the floor :(.
I brought a small container of hand sanitizer as well which I used after boarding and periodically during the flight. Good luck with your flight!

Someone on here reccommended tommie tippee sterilising wipes which I have found to be so useful for dropped dummies etc. if you have a moby wrap or light carrier I would take it in your hand luggage as we had to walk through gatwick for ages and go through passport control before we could get out buggy back. I'd also reccommended taking extra formula as the stewardess on our flight went to warm a bottle for us and never brought it back and as it had been opened before takeoff by the time we tracked it down it had to be thrown and we had to start again.
We also changed Lo into a warm sleep suit for the flight as it was more comfortable and the plane was quite chilly.

OT but soo jealous of you going to Jamaica! Have a lovely time x

Don't forget you can't take milk through the gates as it's liquid, I'm sure you can order it fromboots by phone if you wanted cartons then pick it up when you get throug

Only pack the milk you need for the flight in your bag. If you take premade cartons you will be made to open them and taste so you can ether dispence the powder into tubs and just get hot water to make the bottles up while on the plane or order cartons from boots at the airport and they will have them waiting the other side of security for you. If you havent allready id get a good carrier, it will save aching arms.

Watching this thread with interest. Me and Ethan are going to visit my family in Saudi in a couple of weeks, he'll be 3 months then, and in total it's a 17 hour trip

When do you leave keeks? Happy to share any tips when I'm back.

Not read all the replies but i would say the following:

Try him in pj's rather than sleep suit so you only have to take bottoms off to change. That will keep his top half a bit warmer as planes an be drafty.

Whilst he's awake and if he's comfortable with it, talk to other passengers/air hostesses. My lo lves people pulling faces at her and one lady kept her occupied on our last flight for almost 2 hours!

Don't have any milk made up before security, you have to open/taste a percentage of the amount you bring through. I ended up woth one made up and having to open and taste another one so i had two open then dohh:
Better still order all your milk to collect at the airport through boots, it won't clutter your baggage and weight allowance then.

Try to chill out in terms of feed times and sleeps. Travelling makes me more sleepy so must effect babies. Everything will be different for him so just have milk ready whenever and feed on demand.

If he's sleeping on you maybe take one of those travel neck pillow things just so you or him can lean on it.

Oh maybe ask what times drinks and meals will be served, my LO fell asleep just as the noisy trolley was about to come doen the aisle and she will wake with every little noise! Luckily by the time they served everyone at the front and got down the aisle she managed half an hour sleep. Think about where you sit of you get to choose seats. Over the engine might create white noise for baby to sleep or he might hate the loud take off noise, depends on your baby really.

Have fun!

Write a huge list in the week before you go to make sure you don't forget anything.

Buy milton tablets for cold water sterlisation and buy a big 5ltr tupperware box to sterlise in. I got mine from amazon and kept clothes in it in my suitcase on the way out!

Bring all your bottles (filled with water) on the flight with you and bring powdered formula with you in your hand luggage as well as spares in your suitcase. The security will ask you to taste the water and its best to bring brand new formula boxes so they know they're not tampered with. I bought one of the formula pots with enough measured out for take off and landing and the flight...although we had a short haul flight.

Check your pram in at the check in desk rather than at the gate and hold/wear your baby around the airport. It is such a faff trying to get a pram through the security bit and to the gate when you could just carry the baby around.

Can't believe the airline don't have bassinets!!!!

Good luck, we only did short haul but it wasn't as much of a nightmare as we thought!

Thanks!

I fly on 21 December, so i'm pretty excited. When'd you go?

Thanks!

I fly on 21 December, so i'm pretty excited. When'd you go?

We're off tomorrow morning! So excited and a little nervous. These tips are really super helpful though! I'm back on the 30th so will happily feed back to you when i'm back. Where do you fly from?

Oo exciting!

Flying from Manchester which is only bout 40 mins away. There's a direct flight, which is good because my husband isn't coming with us.

I've taken bottles with milk through security all made up. They are stored in cooler bags and I sometimes but not always get asked to taste 50% of what you have. So if you have 4 bottled, you taste 2. I just shake a few drops on back of my hand and lick off. Never had a problem, even taken bottles of baby water through.
Have fun x

Watching this thread with interest. Me and Ethan are going to visit my family in Saudi in a couple of weeks, he'll be 3 months then, and in total it's a 17 hour trip

Ooo where in Saudi? I live in Jeddah x

Going to Aramco in Ras Tanura. My parents live there with my younger brother and my sister.

Going to Aramco in Ras Tanura. My parents live there with my younger brother and my sister.

Ah ok, have you been before? The weather is fab at the moment, around mid twenties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->