Wanting to plan for #2... but scared of pre-e. Anyone else?

sevenofnine

Reaction score
I developed pre-e the last week of my pregnancy and was induced because of it at 40+4. So far, 21 months post-partum, my blood pressure has remained hypertensive (135/90-95). It was normal before pregnancy.

I am afraid of getting pre-e again, but worse this time! Anyone else? It stinks because my pregnancy was so easy otherwise.

I am so afraid it will be even worse for #2, especially considering I'm STARTING with hypertension now!

Hi there, I don't have much advice for you but just wanted to say my sister had pre-eclampsia with her first pregnancy (was induced as well) and was worried she'd get it for her second one too. She was told it is commonly a first pregnancy thing and if you get it with the first pregnancy it's unlikely it will happen again?? Not sure how accurate that is but she did not get it for her second pregnancy (baby is now 7wks old). I wish you all the best anyway :)

Hi! I have no personal experience of this myself,

but have you seen your doctor for this? :) Pre-conceiving physical test would be helpful, you can find ways to lower your blood pressure before conceiving and open up about your worries. The odds are something like 15% to get pre-eclempsia this time around, as you've had it once - it's more common in first pregnancy.

Also if you want, you can ask your doctor about Aspirin. It should not be taken during pregnancy without doctors order, but some studies claim that small doses of it taken during early pregnancy could prevent pre-eclampsia from developing. There's some contradiction about it however.

I just recommend exercising (but resting during pregnancy) and keeping an eye on your salt intake. 135/90-95 isn't that bad yet, just slightly over the normal. :)

Wishing you the best! :kiss:

Hi! I have no personal experience of this myself,

but have you seen your doctor for this? :) Pre-conceiving physical test would be helpful, you can find ways to lower your blood pressure before conceiving and open up about your worries. The odds are something like 15% to get pre-eclempsia this time around, as you've had it once - it's more common in first pregnancy.

Also if you want, you can ask your doctor about Aspirin. It should not be taken during pregnancy without doctors order, but some studies claim that small doses of it taken during early pregnancy could prevent pre-eclampsia from developing. There's some contradiction about it however.

I just recommend exercising (but resting during pregnancy) and keeping an eye on your salt intake. 135/90-95 isn't that bad yet, just slightly over the normal. :)

Wishing you the best! :kiss:

Thank you for your advice! I have my yearly checkup with my midwife in February, and I was going to talk to her then. We were thinking of starting to try in November of next year, so when I have my checkup I'll bring all this up to her.

I just hate the unknown. :(

I know I need to start exercising regularly. My weight is on target (on the high end but not over my recommended BMI) but I know that exercise could help. My salt intake could come down too. I'm probably going to start slowly addressing these things so I'm in as best shape as possible when ttc.

I just had my second baby after having pre-e the first time around. I was induced at 37 weeks with DD after labetalol didn't work in bringing down my BP and stayed on nifedipine until 6 weeks after birth as it was still high. It returned to normal around 8 weeks after birth. This time around I was on low dose aspirin the whole pregnancy and came off it at 36 weeks, my BP was good until then. At 36+2 my BP was high, then my waters broke at 36+3 and my BP stayed high throughout labour and for a few days after. I had raised urates but wasn't diagnosed as pre-e this time. Apart from the aspirin, the main difference between this pregnancy and DD was that I kept running throughout (until 32 weeks), practised yoga, lifted weights and kept my diet good for the most part. I really think those lifestyle changes helped a lot.

Other than that as mentioned above it's really something that affects first pregnancies so I wouldn't overthink it. At least you'll know the signs if it happens again.

Good luck with ttc#2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"