Washable breast pads?

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by Green Lady, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Green Lady

Green Lady Well-Known Member

It seems like I'm forever buying disposable breast pads, and since I'm not brave enough to go without I'll be using a heck of a lot of these things until the baby is fully weaned! I meant to try washable breast pads before but all the ones I looked at had mixed reviews. Does anyone use these successfully? It seems a waste to keep on using the disposable ones if there's alternatives out there. :flower:

2. Bexx

Bexx I'm a mum!

Haven't used them myself hun, but wish I had done! Would have saved me a fortune and they look so much more comfortable than disposables.

I didn't need them after Zachary was around three months luckily, but I will definitely get washables for my next baby.

3. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

I really like the Wee Notions ones and loads of other cloth nappy shops sell them too.

4. mumeee

mumeee mum of 1, expecting #2

I've heard good things about little lambs and they're the ones I plan to go with this time. Partly because they do a larger size than the standard. I unfortunately needed them from 20 weeks pregnant last time and see it being the same with this one so plan to look properly in a few weeks.

5. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

I used boots own, i think it was £5 for 3 pairs and a little mesh bag to wash them in. Way more comfortable than disposables.

6. Hanskiz

Hanskiz Mum of 2 beautiful girls

I used the philips ones last time round and they were ok. Unfortunately after several months of use they were pretty manky so I'll have to buy new again this time. I'm planning on using Little Lamb bamboo ones as I have heard good things about them and bamboo is lovely against the skin and naturally antibacterial (I believe).

7. Green Lady

Thanks ladies, I'll check out those suggestions! :thumbup:

8. hot tea

hot tea Guest

I bought some locally made. They work great for me.

9. Aunty E

Aunty E Mummy to Mog and Teddy

I used reusables both times, and certainly reused the ones I had from Imogen. I had a dozen pairs in the end as I bought some more this time as my off-boob let down like crazy when I fed him. I liked the boots ones too, but the mother care ones were rubbish.

10. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

Washables r so much better i think saves tons of money too. Mine were about $5 for 3 pair

11. mistyscott

mistyscott Well-Known Member

Ive got boots own reusables and find them fairly absorbent but a little stiff (tho softer the more they're washed). Recently bought some little lamb bamboo ones and, tho expensive, they seem good. Absorbency good and very comfy in my bra - one thing tho, I accidentally used a pair two days running and the smell by the end of the day wasn't nice! They don't come with mesh bag for washing and I found they got caught in the drum rim... I now use large mesh bag to wash all my pads :)

12. todteach

todteach Dreams can come true

I bought some at our local cloth diapering service, when LO was just weeks old. They're handmade and were around 10 dollars for three pairs. Super comfy, & I don't feel like I'm ripping a bandage off, like the feeling that I had from the disposable ones. If I wear a tight fitting shirt you can see them though, but you could with the disposable ones too. Good luck.

13. TattiesMum

TattiesMum Well-Known Member

I improvised by cutting muslin cloths into quarters and folding them ... it worked brilliantly, they were really soft and they were so easy to dry because they opened out into thin flats :thumbup:

Mind you when I had my LOs they didn't sell re-usables

14. Maid Marian

Maid Marian Guest

i've never been able to get on with them, they're too small to cover my nipple adequately and stay in Place, so just end up with a wet bra. Plus i've tried several, but they all stick when they get wet, which is flipping ouchy!!

15. OmiOmen

OmiOmen Mum of two

I used the boots ones and they were great, far more comfortable than the disposables. :thumbup: The bag did get ruined in the wash quickly though.

16. mumeee

mumeee mum of 1, expecting #2

really? That's a pity as that's mostly what I was trying to avoid by going reusable! I remember the disposables getting stuck last time. Owie

17. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

I found non-stay dry ones (cotton, OBV) stick but not ones with a layer like minkee as the top layer. And you can get different sizes too - the Wee Notions small ones aren;t great for me but their bigger ones are perfect :)

18. Maid Marian

Maid Marian Guest

It's just my experience, I know several people who found the same as me, but lots more who get on with them fine :thumbup:

19. Green Lady

Thanks everyone. I was in Boots today and forgot to pick some up! :dohh: But that's what happens when you do a mad dash while the baby is napping, lol. I'm going to look into the Little Lambs ones too.