Water at night?

BubbaG

Reaction score
My LO is a big lad and gets up at least once a night for a feed. He is 15 weeks old and during the day has 5 feeds and one through the night. He takes 5/6 oz during the night feed and goes straight back down.

Someone suggested offering him water instead to see if he drops the feed. He is also being weaned on the advise of my hospital doc because he has SR!

My LO was waking for a feed at night but one night i just tried a quick cuddle and she went straight back to sleep...
Xx

Fran was down to waking once in the night but a couple of weeks ago she started wanting an extra feed again. After a week I decided to see if she really wanted it by just popping her dummy in waiting to see if she would settle - she soon dropped that extra feed again.

Last night I started trying to work on the othe night feed. She normally goes through to about 3am so when she started fussing at 2am I put her dummy in and after a few mins she settled down again - she didn't wake for a feed until 4.30am and I definitely knew she was hungry that time because she wouldn't settle. She had gone from 7pm too and that is the longest she has ever gone between feeds.

I'm hoping that by doing this she will go a bit longer each night until she sleeps through - although I'm not holding my breath because my daughter never ceases to surprise me by changing everything all of a sudden lol.

Only problem is he won't have a dummy! I wonder when it will ever end!?

To be honest i would keep giving him the feed for a while as he is still quite young, my 9.5 month old still has 2 feeds lol

I use the soother too, when she wakes up I give her a soother and shes back to sleep then up at 6 am or so for a feed.

I didn't try dropping the feed until he proved he could do it himself for a couple of nights. He's also not a fan of the dummy. Now if he wakes in the night and a cuddle doesn't work, he has a few comforting sucks on a bottle of water. As Sarah says, he's still quite young - and if he's up every night for it I'd be inclined to think he needs it x

I think you are right, he takes 7oz every night at very different times. Last night the dog stormed into his room at 2am and the door flew open, I heard LO shuffling etc and kicking about and he then went back to sleep so I assume that he is only cry because he is hungry, otherwise surely he would have cried out then?

I am exhausted from it all though and wish he would just stop guzzling so much!

I know what you mean - D didn't really turn a corner til 5 months. He'll get there :hugs:

I'm of the opinion, if they're waking hungry you should feed them even if they are packing it away. I don't really agree with giving water instead of milk if they are hungry. Just my opinion though.

I think if your lo is drinking 4/5 oz when they wake then it's definitely hunger! I would feed him if he's waking and not give him water. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"