Water birth at Stoke Mandeville in Alyesbury

BabyBG

Reaction score
Anyone recently go to Stoke Mandeville and didn't get the water birth they wanted? I am really paranoid about choosing the midwife centre with my heart set on a water birth and one not being available.

I have tried to book a tour but because of the flu they aren't doing them. Someone said there is a virtual tour but I haven't found it.

What I want to know is:
  1. how many rooms are there?
    Do they all have birthing pools in them?
    If not, how many birthing pools do they have and what is the likelihood they will be in use when I go into labor?
    If I say, no drugs and unnecessary medical intervention, how likely will this be to be respected? (I don't want my midwife to choose the easy option just because we are next to the hospital)
    Will my midwife be there for the duration or could they change?

I am sure my midwife could answer some of these but I know how busy she is and feel bad all in her up with random questions but don't want to wait for our next appointment which is over a month away.

I want a home birth but because this is our first, my hubby is nervous as is everyone else in my family.

Thank you if you reply!!!

Thanks for your reply, Manda. I did find this one but it does not tell me how many pools they have, etc. Just shows what one of the rooms looks like which is great but I think I will have to drill my midwife next time I see her.

I'd ring them up. There'll be midwives there 24/7, and if they're not too busy I'm sure they'd love to answer your questions.

I did pregnancy yoga and my teacher (who is a nct teacher) said that Stoke Mandeville has 2 inflatable birth pools and they can get them ready incredibly quickly.

In her time as NCT teacher she hasnt known anyone not be able to have a waterbirth at Stoke Mandeville.

Best of luck, I had my little girl at Stoke - they are lovely :flower:

Thanks, Amelie. That makes me feel better!

On your other questions - in my experience - my midwife respected all of my decisions and was very much pro the route of intervening as little as possible, but she also respected my feelings on pain management (I was induced)

I had 2 midwives in the course of my labour (whilst on delivery suite) as there was a shift change, but they were both lovely and did a very thorough hand over :flower:

I am so glad you posted this thread BG. I am in Chesham and have opted for Stoke and would love a natural, hypnotherapy water birth...

So seeing some of your questions answered has put my mind at ease as to whether I will be able to have those things :flower:

definitely watching this thread as i want a water birth too at stoke, so scared that they'll all be taken but that's reassuring to know it's unlikely - have no back up option in my head just really want a pool!

out of interest, did any of you consider wycombe active birth centre? was told i was too high risk to go there (was born with hip dysplacia) and to be honest don't want to be too far away from an epidural first time round... only thing is have seen photos of that online and it looks great but haven't been able to find any of stoke - really frustrating :|

Hi,

We are also planning on a hypnobirth/waterbirth at SM. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to as bump is breech, but at 33wks still a long time to go.

Good luck, and I hope you get the birth you would like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->