Water Birth - info wanted please!

Pink_Tinks

Reaction score
okay, so OH and I have been watching 'A Baby Story' so much lately lol
and it has got me thinking i would like a water birth.
OH is totally with me on this, thinks it would be a great idea.

Not sure if i have left it too late, but gunna talk to my MW this week about it.
But just got a couple of questions about it!!

What happens with the cord cutting, coz... well ur in water?!

What happens with the injection to deliver the placenta, and the delivery of the placenta?

How long do u stay in the water once baby is out? Do they let u have a bit of a bond then take baby for cleaning up / weighing / dressing in which time u get out and sorted?

proper cluless obviously, but i just really like the idea of being in the water! any info on a water birth would be great help :)

I'm having a home water birth and hadn't really thought about any of these tbh... will just go with the flow. I know that they still lift baby onto moms chest for skin to skin contact but I think it's up to you really when you get out... staying in to deliver the placenta sounds like a good idea but I guess it depends how messy the water gets and stuff... I think for cord cutting they'd just get you to kneel up.

I don't know details for sure but this is what I've been lead to believe:

What happens with the cord cutting, coz... well ur in water?!
They can cut the cord when you're in water.

What happens with the injection to deliver the placenta, and the delivery of the placenta?
They can give you an injection to deliver the pacenta if you want and you can deliver the placenta in the pool. They will tell you to get outo f the pool if you have aot of blood loss/haemorrhaging at this stage.

How long do u stay in the water once baby is out? Do they let u have a bit of a bond then take baby for cleaning up / weighing / dressing in which time u get out and sorted?

So long as the baby is breathing and doing fine, the centre that I'm at allow you to stay in the water as long as you want to and keep the baby with you. Although it's difficult to get the baby out of the pool, they will help you do this as well. I think I would prefer to get out once baby is out but that's IF i have a water birth and IF I want to get out. :shrug:

My midwife and NCT lady both said that the placenta has to be delivered outside the pool (not really sure why though). x

My baby's cord was cut while we were in the water (after leaving it to pulse) - I would estimate I stayed in the water cuddling LO for 5 mins or so after the birth. After that MW was keen to get her out so she could dry her off and presumably so she didn't get too cold.

I was asked to get out to deliver the placenta. I was going to be a complete hippy and deliver it naturally (no injection) but I was so knackered after the birth I just wanted it out so I could get cleaned up, dried and snuggle with my baby! :cloud9:

Have a read of my birth story below :thumbup:

hiyaaa, my midwife told me tht i will have to deliver the placenta out of the pool so that they keep an eye on the amount of blood less, as a drop of blood can seem a lot more in water xx

When we were at parentcraft on saturday, the MW said they always deliver the placenta on 'dry land.'

I hadn't thought about a water birth until then, but I was told that I could use the birthing pool for pain relief as I'm unsure if I will be allowed an epidural (seeing anaethetist this week) so I have the option of being in the pool leading up to the delivery and then transferring to the bed to deliver which I quite like the idea of xx

Hello I have had 4 waterbirths and I can say everything is up to you!!

With my first my oh "caught" the baby and put her on to my chest for skin to skin then cut the cord (about 30 second later!) and i passed her to my oh and got straight out of the water and had the injection to deliver the placenta.:thumbup: I had been in the pool along time and just wanted to get out.

With my last my dh "caught" him (as he has with all of them. He loves doing it and it really helps him to bond with the baby as he feels he has delivered them":haha:) then i held him skin to skin until the cord stopped plusating (about 10 mins) then my dh cut the cord and he cuddled baby while delivered the placenta in the pool with no injection which was about 10 mins after the cord was cut!:happydance:

You won't need to get up while the cord is cut. As it is cut close to the baby you just hold the cord out of the water while it is being cut. While the baby is in the pool with you the baby's body needs to stay under the water to keep baby warm.

I love waterbirths and find the pain relief amazing!! I really wouldn't want to give birth any where other than in water!!:nope:

If you are having a hospital birth you just have to hope the pool is free! so it is worth asking about as soon as you phone or arrive at the hospital so they can reserve it for you!!:thumbup:

goodluck:thumbup:
:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"