Water birth worries

Ava Grace

Mummy to 2 boys wtt #3
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I really really want a water birth but not at home because of all the mess but I'm worried the pool won't be available on the day as the hospital can't guarantee it! Anyone any suggestions? Anyone know the stats of how likely I am to get it? There is only one pool at my hospital.
Thank you x x

You'd really need to check with your hospital how popular it is and also what their 'rules' are about who gets to use it. The only way to guarntee one is available is to have your own I'm afraid. You could ask if they allow you to bring your own inflatable ones but I;ve not heard of many outside London that do.

What mess do you think there is?? It always tickles me when people say they wouldnt have a home birth because of the mess! Are you planning on diving in? Splashing a lot?! :lol:

x

As Mervs Mum says: the only way to guarantee it is to plan your birth at home. Do you have a birthing centre that you could choose instead which may have more pools available? x

You'd really need to check with your hospital how popular it is and also what their 'rules' are about who gets to use it. The only way to guarntee one is available is to have your own I'm afraid. You could ask if they allow you to bring your own inflatable ones but I;ve not heard of many outside London that do.

What mess do you think there is?? It always tickles me when people say they wouldnt have a home birth because of the mess! Are you planning on diving in? Splashing a lot?! :lol:

x

Hmm this is a good point I don't know really I meant more the mess in the pool (blood ect) where does that go? I'm warming to the idea of home birth but it does scare me slightly in case of complications!
X

The other option is like Jen said look at other Birth Centres and hospitals. Women assume you have to go to your nearest but that's not the case - you go where you like!

The mess in the pool goes back up the hose you filled it with and down the plug hole with the assistance of the water pump! Anything solid is scooped out with a little sieve by your MWs exactly as it would be if you were in the pool at the hospital. They just have the luxury of a plug for the water! :)

You have to weigh up the situation. Would you feel more comfortable with no pool but in the hospital than you would with a guaranteed pool but at home? If the answer is yes then maybe a home birth isnt the answer - the main thing is you feeling relaxed and if you stressed at home then it's a pointless exercise!

Thanks Hun, I think Milton Keynes only have the one place but there are other hospitals nearby. I will speak to the hospital.
The more I think about the more home seems a good option as I want a water birth and want it as natural as possible.
Thanks for the advice x

well if you are thinking about it, defo have a read at the threads in here - lots of lovely ladies planning amazing positive home births! x

mm always gives great advice! Can't say anything more than the excellent advice she's already given! :thumbup:

i got a chance to use the pool at my last birth and the mw said even though they'd been busy the pool hadnt been used for a few days, only knew this because she was going to rinse it out lol. i had emergency c before she got to clean it anyway.

i want to use it again this time, i asked how popular it is and the vbac mw leader told me they are becoming more popular and even though they cant garuntee it, most people get what they want she said,
basically there is more girls wanting pain relief than water births, and they get moved to the next room if they want pethidine or epi to free the room up.

If you were ever worried about a "messy home birth" then water is definitely the way to go! All you need are a few shower curtains under the pool and then the pool will keep everything in there! You can even then deliver the placenta* in there as well and voila everything's contained! You just pop the hose back in with the pump and spend precious cuddle time with your LO as it empties :) Getting a liner makes things even easier! Just crumple it up and toss it out. :flower:

*Keep in mind that some midwives don't like women delivering the placenta in the pool though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->