Water Birth

tfarr

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, I read somewhere yesterday that a lady was told that she coldnt have a water birth because of her weight.

I was swaying towards a water birth, but I weighed 15 1/2 stone pre pregnancy / size 18. Does this mean I wont be given the option to have a water birth :cry:

Thanks in adavnce xxx

I didnt want to read and run - i dont really know but your best bet is to call your hospital where you would have the water birth! it may be different at diff ppls hospitals?

I had a question for them about how many ppl i was allowed in the room of a water birth and they were really helpful! xx

I was wondering the same thing, i was 12 and a hal stone when i got pregnant, haven't weighed myself since as don't want to depress myself, but sure i'll be go big for waterbirth :( I'm gonna ask my midwife next time i see her.

I laboured in pool and was set for having baby in it and i was about uk 18 didn't have any problems

My friend had hers in pool and i would say she was uk 22 so might depend on hospital, I think it's for if anything happens and they have to try and get you out quick maybe!

I think the reasons are because the pools are run by a midwife unit very limited on what pain relief you can use etc when doing a water birth.

They normally only take ladies in who are likley to not have any problems in natural birth only if problems arise i think they need to take you to the normal maternity unit where there are consultants at hand and more pain relief options.. (this was my understanding anyway)

I would like one, and the midwife at my hospital told me it depends on how your labour starts, if its natural and baby in right position and no medical issues with mum then a water birth is an option.. If baby need inducing or you have some issues that the consultant wants to keep an eye on then a water birth (midwife lead) isnt a option .. what they class as medical reasons i am unsure if this could be weight or not, worth asking your midwife though.

I think it all depends on how labour is on the actual day hun before they can decide if you are accepted or not for this option if things go nice to plan then i dont think weight is an issue but i suppose its the hospital who decide
x

I'm in the same position as you ladies so don't know for sure, but I did hear that us overweight ladies might not be able to have a pool birth for safety reasons...I think the main concern was getting you out of the pool in case of emergencies...but even though my hubby was slim, I think he could easily pull me out if I was in trouble...
Be interested to hear was MW safe though...I'm not seeing mine for a couple more weeks yet!
x

Thanks everyone, there seems to be a mixed opinion. I dont see my midwife for another 3 weeks so I will ask then. Fingers crossed all goes well and I get the water birth that I want xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->