Water-births - experiences?

M

Maid Marian

I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'd like to have one, and after watching 'One born every minute' tonight, I really think I do.

Could anyone who's had experience of it/chosen to do it, tell me the pros and cons, and what the reality is like?

I had my first baby in hospital in their birthing pool. I loved it!! The pros for me were
- I always feel better in water if im in pain or upset (bath normally)
- Its easier to move around into different positions
- Its really relaxing
- It felt really natural

Cons
- Er none

I loved it soo much I am planning to have a home birth this time because the hospital only has one pool and dont want to risk not being able to use it.
I cant actually imagine giving birth on dry land.

I totally agree with what Lalalistic said! It was a wonderful experience for me and I felt I was totally free - both body and my mind!

Jenni has complied together a natural/homebirth stories for this section - and there are quite a few waterbirths linked on there.
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/496228-positive-natural-birthing-stories.html

I'd say the main CON ..has to be getting one in a birthcentre or a MLU attached to the hospital.. it all depends on whether it is free at the time you are in labour, and on the wards they generally don't like you to get in untill you are at least 5 or 6 dilated (I think this is to maximise the use of the pool.. as there isn't any clinical reason)

So if you are set on a waterbirth, the only way you will defiantly get it, is if you have a homebirth. Homebirth is just like a birthcentre.. which is meant to be a home from home anyways.. and you will dedicated MWs who will not leave you to go and attend to another lady. Most districts like to have 2 for the birth.. so it's more like 2 on 1 care.. which I would argue is much better than a birth centre.
Happy birthplanning
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"