Water Q

TarableT

Reaction score
Before I was pregnant, I was lucky to have 8 ounces of water a day. The first few weeks of pregnancy I drank more water, but MS set in and I couldn't keep anything down. Now I've been drinking lots more water. The other day I had about 48 ounces, which is out of control for me personally. Now when I drank that much, which isn't even that much I guess, I peed it out almost immediatly, like 5 minutes later. Is my body even maintaining anything at that point or is it just flushing everything out? I'll keep drinking as long as I'm thirsty, but I don't want to overdue it, considering this is like 40 ounces more a day then I've ever had. I know it's for the babies but I want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

My understanding is that the increased blood volume during pregnancy makes the kidneys work more efficiently, which is why we have to pee more. I think it's actually easier to get dehydrated when pregnant, because the kidneys are processing liquids faster. It's supposed to be a good thing - the body flushes out toxins through urine.

It's really hard to drink too much water, especially if you feel thirsty. Wikipedia says that "Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour." So as long as you're drinking less than that, and continuing to pee, you're fine. ;)

You need lots of water when pregnant. Not just for yourself. You LO needs it for amniotic fluid.

I'm not sure how it works out in fluid ounces, but prior to being pregnant, I drank a lot of water. (I don't drink tea or coffee anyway, I can't stand the stuff.) So it wasn't unheard of for me to have 4+ litres everyday, more when doing intensive dance training.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought that there was a problem in drinking too much water. For that to happen it would have to be a LOT, I think the amount is into the gallons for this.

If you are seriously concerned, ask someone at your next check up.

Your amniotic fluid recycles every 24 hours, and it is a couple liters/quarts. Plus as others have mentioned the extra blood volume. It doesnt matter how much I drink, I am still in the bathroom every hour or so. If I drink more, I pee more volume, not more frequently. If that makes sense?

You should drink until your urine looks almost clear in the bowl. A little yellow tint is ok but should look like light lemonade. So dont worry about drinking too much. I am drinking atleast double what you are and still feel thirsty. A normal adult should drink one ounce for every kg they weigh (1 kg=2.2 lbs) So if you weigh 150 lbs, you should drink atleast 68 oz. daily. During pregnancy they say to double that!

you should be drinking plenty of fluids i dont get enough and the mirgranes the come with the dehydration are terrible lol im off to get a glass of water now

My understanding is that the increased blood volume during pregnancy makes the kidneys work more efficiently, which is why we have to pee more. I think it's actually easier to get dehydrated when pregnant, because the kidneys are processing liquids faster. It's supposed to be a good thing - the body flushes out toxins through urine.

It's really hard to drink too much water, especially if you feel thirsty. Wikipedia says that "Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour." So as long as you're drinking less than that, and continuing to pee, you're fine. ;)

We are due the same day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->