waters breaking policy

MummyToAmberx

Mum to 3 Girls 1 Boy
Reaction score
ive asked this before awhile ago now no-one replied so thought if try again.

hospital i had my youngest in told me there policy on 'your waters' was now they no longer pop them as it isnt good on the 'drop' your babies head has to do, at the time this really annoyed me i was ready to push but waters were still there it was hurting alot more than first labour they refused.

as my youngest head was crowning my waters finally went & what a relief, i was wondering if this new policy is happening anywhere else?

Hmm I'm not sure about policy but when I gave birth they didn't break my waters until I was birthing and I wish they'd done it sooner tbh. I think it's to do with minimising the risk of infection xx

Oh im sorry im not sure about this hun, with my 1st which was 2008 they tried to break my waters for a couple of days when i was being induced and not progressing but eventually they went on there own. I know on the recent Special deliveries on BBC 3 the midwifes were stil breaking ladies water x

Where I went they where breaking peoples waters for them mine went in the flat but others they would break :) that was only 4 moths ago hope this helps good luck love :) blessed be

Hmm I'm not sure about policy but when I gave birth they didn't break my waters until I was birthing and I wish they'd done it sooner tbh. I think it's to do with minimising the risk of infection xx

Mine never mentioned anything about infection.
It was all to do with the babies head, like there putting yet another worry out there.

Been breaking womens waters for years, this what annoyed me. I got mine broken the first nothing was ever said about it that was in 07. I had my youngest dec 09.

mines never broke till i was 8/9 cm and att that point thye found i had maccounium(sp) and had to get ou the pool, i forgot all about them during labour :dohh:

I've never heard of this? Hope it's not a policy here. Surely if a woman in labour says, "please, I want my waters broken" they should oblige within reason. Mine were broken in the later stages of my first labour.
I would like to think that anything I request when I am in labour is fulfilled.

I've never heard of that reason for not breaking them. I thought they broke most peoples by a certain stage of labour

Meh they bust mine to try and move things along but they didnt do it until I was transferred to hospital as Dewi's head was still a little high and they didnt want to risk cord prolapse.

ive never heard of this either. When I had my daughter last year they induced me and instead of giving me the 2nd lot of gel they broke my waters.

I know there is a policy about the length of time from waters breaking till you give birth, but nothing about not breaking waters.

there is no need to break waters at all! some babys are born still in their sac. there has been more research etc to do with infections etc so this is probably why they are more reluctant for artifical rupture of membranes these days xx

My OBGYN suggests that every pregnant woman has a Pregnancy Plan (Google this, you'll find lots of samples) so that he knows what I want during pregnancy. One of them is, if I want an epidural, or if I prefer my water broken.

Doc said it's not harmful at all. In fact, really good for doctors to check if the baby is in stress (water is green or black) and needs to be delivered immediately. Also, by breaking the water, most women will deliver within an hour from that.

My OBGYN suggests that every pregnant woman has a Pregnancy Plan (Google this, you'll find lots of samples) so that he knows what I want during pregnancy. One of them is, if I want an epidural, or if I prefer my water broken.

Doc said it's not harmful at all. In fact, really good for doctors to check if the baby is in stress (water is green or black) and needs to be delivered immediately. Also, by breaking the water, most women will deliver within an hour from that.

by green / black do you mean meconium? because one of risk factors for this is an infection due to waters being broken... so it's a bit like catch 22 really.

by green / black do you mean meconium? because one of risk factors for this is an infection due to waters being broken... so it's a bit like catch 22 really.

Yes, meconium. Some mothers have problem delivering and it puts baby under a lot of stress. The moment Doc breaks the water and sees meconium, it's a big sign that baby's been in stress for quite a while and needs to be delivered immediately.

Breaking the waters really speeds things a long too. I had been in labour for nearly two days with #2, and was gad when they broke my waters because I was exhuasted and needed things to be over with pretty soon. Once your waters go, usually contractions become much stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->