• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Ways to Increase Progesterone?

beachyvibes

Reaction score
Hi!! Okay so I am getting paranoid about my progesterone levels. I am 4 weeks pregnant and I am still nursing my 17 month-old once a day and VERY frequently at night(4-6 times). I am also taking 2 400-mg capsules of Vitex daily. I have googled(I know, BIG mistake:wacko:) that breastfeeding can possibly be associated with miscarriage since it can cause hormonal imbalances.

I already feel my hormones were out of balance, which is why I started taking Vitex at 14 months postpartum to get my period. Now every time she latches, I worry "is the the nursing session that is going to dip my progesterone too low?"

I'm just scared. I know prolactin can interfere with progesterone production... Should I call and get a blood test from my OBGYN's office just to ease my mind? My first appointment isn't until the end of October...:shrug:

If my experience of extended bf'ing is anything like yours, the very frequent night nursing is for comfort more than sustenance and little milk is actually taken. So take that with a pinch of salt. It might feel like loads of breastfeeding but at 17 months you won't be getting these big hormonal swings that you do earlier on.
Having said that anything that can ease your worries is only a good thing, so I would speak to your doctor and see if you can get bloods, or if they can put your mind at rest.

If you are worried, I would definitely go to the doctor to get your levels checked! I have been on prometrium (a progesterone supplement) since about 4 weeks! It definitely won't hurt to get them checked out. Even just for peace of mind :) Good luck!

I see no reason not to talk to your practitioner. That's what they're there for, right? :) I nursed throughout all four of my subsequent pregnancies. My kids are 5, 4, 3, 19 months and 2 months old, so most of them were nursing quite a bit when I was pregnant with the next sibling in line. One baby was 2 months old when I got pregnant again, nursing exclusively. All was just fine. All of the pregnancies went perfectly. All of the babies are healthy. I'm sure that your baby will be perfect and healthy, too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"