We are trying to concieve but i start a new job in 3 weeks...

kezzaside

Reaction score
Hello Guys!
It's my first time on here, I'm driving myself nuts. I really want a baby and so does my partner. Iv handed in my notice for my old job and start a new one in 3 weeks, if I fall pregnant quickly will i struggle for money? Helllppp!! Your my last hope Xx

welcome, im not really sure what to suggest tbh, the girls in ttc might be more help, maybe wait for a baby for a few months?

Hi kezza,
Can't really say whether or not you will struggle as don't know what your partner earns/mat pay at new job etc! In my opinion, you need to look at what your new job offers maternity wise and decide what is the best thing for you to do!
Good luck though x

Hia

Welcome to WTT- I'm assuming you'll be waiting to try until you're eligible for mat pay (? @15 weeks in your new job a year or more?). Hope your wait isn't too hard, but you've a good bunch of ladies here to vent to while you wait! I kept wondering about changing job as I hate the one I'm in, but didn't want to screw up my mat leave/TTC opportunity...its now been 2 years since I started in the job, and still waiting- so could have changed job and still got mat leave in a new one...:dohh: Good for you for making the leap, though...

It's good that you're asking these questions, but unfortunately no one here can answer them for you. :( You will want to look into what your new job offers maternity-wise, and if there are any stipulations as to how long you have to be on before those benefits kick in. You'll want to also sit down with your DH and look at your budget to see where you two stand for incoming vs. outgoing, and what your plan will be for maternity leave. If you can't afford (or your work doesn't allow it) to stay off work for more than a couple months (typical here in the US, not so much elsewhere in the world from what I've seen on these threads..but I don't know where you are), you'll want to think about daycare for LO - what are the costs in your area, do you have family that could help out, etc etc.

It's best to have all of these questions answered before you fall pregnant, and that way if you find any holes in your plan you have time to find solutions or to save up. That said, lots of people fall pregnant unexpectedly or without every duck in a perfect row, and things have a way of working themselves out.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback, my new job has a probationary period of 3 months and I certainly can't wait a year! Iv been wanting a baby for 4 years now. Iv heard that an employer can't get rid of you if you fall pregnant as this would be discrimination. Say if I did fall pregnant, surely I would be entitled to some sort of maternity leave, surely the government can't leave you stranded Xx

I think, as long as you've been in your job for a certain period of time (26 weeks) when you're 15 weeks pregnant, you're entitled to minimum statutory maternity pay (I'm assuming you're in the UK here!). Check the link below out:

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/statutory-pay/smp-overview.htm

Thanks for your feedback, my new job has a probationary period of 3 months and I certainly can't wait a year! Iv been wanting a baby for 4 years now. Iv heard that an employer can't get rid of you if you fall pregnant as this would be discrimination. Say if I did fall pregnant, surely I would be entitled to some sort of maternity leave, surely the government can't leave you stranded Xx

be very careful about the wording of your contract regarding probation period and benefit entitlements.

I am on a 6 month probation period and am not allowed any paid sick leave, or enhanced maternity pay . I need to wait to TTC once I have been changed to a 'normal' contract.(because of financial reasons)
If you are not pregnant when you start the job, you will be entitled to SMP which is 90% of your usual wage for 6 weeks then 39 weeks at about £128.73 per week. then another 15 weeks of unpaid leave up to a total of 52

They are not allowed to discriminate and get rid of you because you are pregnant in your probation period but they can give other reasons and it may be hard to prove one way or another at a tribunal (unfair I know, but employers can be very sneeky!)

I'd say have a close look at your contract and mat benefits offered by your new employer; see how much this differs from SMP and weigh up the pros and cons

good luck!!
:hugs:
x

Thanks for your help guys. But one more thing, I know there are girls out there that find out they are pregnant when they have started a new job, what would these girls be entitled to? Pregnant before starting the new job Xx

Definitely depends on the employer- I know once we saw that I will be entitled to additional maternity pay AS WELL as SMP if we wait till I've been in post for a year, then that made us more determined to wait, especially as I earn more (although only slightly!) than my DH!

As we're paying a mortgage, we know that we have to ensure we'll still be OK with that once bubba is on the way!

It depends very much on your employer and their policies on these things. Maybe call up HR and ask them any questions you might have about maternity leave? They should be able to help you. Also are you in the US? The UK? Somewhere else entirely? In the US we don't get any maternity pay guaranteed outside of however generous our employer is. With my first I got around 8 weeks paid at 50% of my pay and had to go back. I could've stayed out longer due to FMLA but couldn't afford to lose the paycheck. In the UK it's different, as it is in most other western countries.

If you are pregnant before you start a new job you will usually only get MA maternity allowance (£128ish per week for 39 weeks) as you will not have worked enought to claim SMP (I doubt very much that an employer will give someone enhanced mat pay with out qualifying for SMP)
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->