Weak cervix

Hope 2014

Reaction score
Hi all I did post in incompetent cervix thread but in dont think anybody posts in there anymore

My 19 week cervix scan showed cervix length of 30mm no funnelling
At 21 weeks measurements were 24/29 with some funnelling
I was placed on progesterone and bed rest
22 weeks I'm now 20/22mm with v shaped funnelling swabs taken previous week showed infection like bv so I can't have stitch this week im on antibiotics till Monday and have another scan if cervix is shorter then consultant said I should have stitch if its the same then I can decide what to do

Could really do with some advice

This is my first post on this forum, but I have found this site and others like it to be a great source of support over the past few months.

I know how scared I was when my short and funnelling cervix was discovered so I though I would post my story and a little advice.

My short cervix was discovered at my 19 week scan on a Friday. The sonographer told me it looked "a little short and soft" and that I should follow it up with my doctor the following week. I then received an urgent call from my doctor on the Monday morning telling me to report to hospital for a repeat scan. My cervix was 26 mm and funnelling. It measured 18mm on the repeat scan which was very concerning as it looked like it was shortening rapidly. I was started on progesterone pessaries and IV antibiotics that night and had a cerclage done the next afternoon. My cervix was not dilated at the bottom which I was told was a good sign. I went home 2 days later, with a goal of making to 28 weeks, 32 if I was lucky. In those very difficult few days, I found a lot of reassurance in reading the many positive stories on this site and others.

I am in Australia where we don't really do bed rest because of its associated risks. I was just told to take it easy. After reading so many success stories after bed rest, I just couldn't bring myself to do too much. I worked from home and took it very, very easy until 26 weeks. My cervix respond very well to treatment. It stopped funnelling after 2 weeks and actually increased in length to a peak of 30mm at 27 weeks. My last measurement at 32 weeks was 22mm and still nowhere near the stitch. I am now 34 weeks and have just finished the progesterone. We are planning to take the stitch out at 36 weeks.

My understanding is that you can have a cerclage up until 24 weeks. It seems to be more risky if you are dilated and or the membranes are bulging. I don't know whether it is the cerclage, the progesterone or a combination of both that have given me my results. My doctors certainly advocate the combination if both if possible. Having the stitch was scary (I had a general anaesthetic) and I was sore for a few days afterwards but it has provided me with some peace of mind. I have also been lucky as I have had not any issues with contractions or pre-term labour.

Everyone is different of course, but I just wanted to let you know that is it is possible to have good results with progesterone and a cerclage. I have also found lots of success stories with progesterone and bed-rest only.

This is my first post on this forum, but I have found this site and others like it to be a great source of support over the past few months.

I know how scared I was when my short and funnelling cervix was discovered so I though I would post my story and a little advice.

My short cervix was discovered at my 19 week scan on a Friday. The sonographer told me it looked "a little short and soft" and that I should follow it up with my doctor the following week. I then received an urgent call from my doctor on the Monday morning telling me to report to hospital for a repeat scan. My cervix was 26 mm and funnelling. It measured 18mm on the repeat scan which was very concerning as it looked like it was shortening rapidly. I was started on progesterone pessaries and IV antibiotics that night and had a cerclage done the next afternoon. My cervix was not dilated at the bottom which I was told was a good sign. I went home 2 days later, with a goal of making to 28 weeks, 32 if I was lucky. In those very difficult few days, I found a lot of reassurance in reading the many positive stories on this site and others.

I am in Australia where we don't really do bed rest because of its associated risks. I was just told to take it easy. After reading so many success stories after bed rest, I just couldn't bring myself to do too much. I worked from home and took it very, very easy until 26 weeks. My cervix respond very well to treatment. It stopped funnelling after 2 weeks and actually increased in length to a peak of 30mm at 27 weeks. My last measurement at 32 weeks was 22mm and still nowhere near the stitch. I am now 34 weeks and have just finished the progesterone. We are planning to take the stitch out at 36 weeks.

My understanding is that you can have a cerclage up until 24 weeks. It seems to be more risky if you are dilated and or the membranes are bulging. I don't know whether it is the cerclage, the progesterone or a combination of both that have given me my results. My doctors certainly advocate the combination if both if possible. Having the stitch was scary (I had a general anaesthetic) and I was sore for a few days afterwards but it has provided me with some peace of mind. I have also been lucky as I have had not any issues with contractions or pre-term labour.

Everyone is different of course, but I just wanted to let you know that is it is possible to have good results with progesterone and a cerclage. I have also found lots of success stories with progesterone and bed-rest only.

Thanks for your reply really glad to hear you have made it to 34 weeks
I'm just counting down days till mon when I find out 100% what's happening im so worried about everything so thanks for giving me some hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->