Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
https://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/P...,000_A_Year_Could_Be_Removed_From_Their_Homes

I think its a good idea!Council housing is there to help people who need the help!

I read once that the actress who plays Heather in eastenders still lives in her council house...why???she isn't exactly struggling.xxx

I was going to reply with depends on what they call wealthy, then saw the earn more than £100,000 a year comment and thought actually that's quite a good idea! so many people in private are struggling to afford whilst these kind of people living the high life in cheap homes, so yes I do think this is a good idea!

Its a good idea but does that mean seccured tenancy agreements would no longer apply? because I cant see our assosiation actualy bothering to change the contract (they are lazy sods)

i was thinking the same as the person above about what was wealthy but yes if you bring home £100,000 do they really need a council house i know not everyone wants to buy a house but they could go private let and let those who are desperate get the housing have it

tbh if you are earning 100k and upwards do you really NEED a council house?? I very much doubt it ...

Exactly....I think a lot of them just stay there as its cheaper rent..I know if I earnt that much I would move out..xx

Very good idea, we can't get a council house and only earn 30k, why the hell would someone on 100k need a council property!

I think its a great idea now only if they would also do the same to people who used to need say a 3bedroom house but now only need a 1bedroom. I think if your earning 50k do you really need a council house??

Oh i know what you mean about that!The prick my mum used to go out with has a 3 bedroomed house and he is there all by himself!!!The council should review circumstances.xx

re houses like that where people are in bigger than what they need ... our local council actually offers a cash incentive for people to "downsize"

its a bit silly really, why pay more rent for something you dont actually need??

they should absolutely lose their council house. These houses have a waiting list that stretches for years and the people on the list are desperate for accommodation but are unable to get a mortgage or pay the ridiculously high private rent charges. Local authority housing should only be made available to those who really need it.

Good idea, esp with rent prices rising and getting a mortgage is so hard now, people are struggling.

I had no idea the council did not keep up with changes of circumstances etc, I thought they checked on you. That is bad! So you could move into a council house with a low income then if you got a better job and earned loads you can still live there as they don't even check? WTH?

Yep thats right,I could be a millionaire but they couldn't force me to downsize or give up my home.x

I agree with it, and think it should be at a lot less than 100k! We're not even ok 10k and still can't get a council house.

The 87 year old man who lives alone above my friend in a 3 bed council flat should be forced to move too

I think incentives to have people downsize is a great idea but I don't think anyone should be forced to leave their home because they have extra rooms. Many of the elderly who live in larger homes have been there for all their adult lives. To just force them to move would be extremely traumatic for them.

GOOD!

it would only take them a few years
to save for a mortgage deposit anyway!

and those who are on their own should also
downsize, i know families with 10 + people crammed
in a 3 bed and then people like me can't get a
council house and wont ever get a mortgage so
we end up floating around renting all the bloody time

the more council houses they free up the better imo
people on 100k paying something like £500 a month for
a council house is bloody ridiculous, greedy *******s!
council houses should be for those who NEED them not
those who want to save vast amounts of their earnings
and live a nice comfortable life with plenty of spending money!

:growlmad::nope:

I understand about the elderly who have been living in a house all their life, but if they rented privately and couldn't afford it they'd have to move. Staying is a luxury and I'd consider it less important then a family who are living in a one/two bed and desperate to move. The situation isn't ideal but there is a limit to the resources.

Good idea, esp with rent prices rising and getting a mortgage is so hard now, people are struggling.

I had no idea the council did not keep up with changes of circumstances etc, I thought they checked on you. That is bad! So you could move into a council house with a low income then if you got a better job and earned loads you can still live there as they don't even check? WTH?

Its not about not checking its because of a seccured tenancy agreement meaning that no matter how your circumstances change you cant be evicted.

Our local association has stop doing seccured tenancy to new tennants but because of when we signed up (5 years ago) we automaticaly have one and they cant change that now as its a contract, dont know if the lawe can change it or not though or if its will only apply to new tennants after a certsin date

I agree with it, and think it should be at a lot less than 100k! We're not even ok 10k and still can't get a council house.

The 87 year old man who lives alone above my friend in a 3 bed council flat should be forced to move too

Then isnt that something to take up with your council or local housing association, I dont think its fair for someone who has probably live there 60-70 years and "possibly" paid tax, council tax and rent all that time to just be evicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->