• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

I understand there is a limit to resources but without some of these older people we possible wouldnt have any recourses full stop.
Most of them have worked and paid their way most of their lives, anything from 50-80 years of paying their way and its not like they are going to be "in the way" forever let them enjoy their home for the last few years they have left.

I am curiouse thought those of you saying you cant get a council place dont you have housing assosiations in your area?
We didnt get very far with our council so went to A2 and got a newbuild flat 3 days later, granted we where stupidly lucky but they have such a faster turn around then the council because councils dont realy deal with housing much anymore.

I understand there is a limit to resources but without some of these older people we possible wouldnt have any recourses full stop.
Most of them have worked and paid their way most of their lives, anything from 50-80 years of paying their way and its not like they are going to be "in the way" forever let them enjoy their home for the last few years they have left.

I am curiouse thought those of you saying you cant get a council place dont you have housing assosiations in your area?
We didnt get very far with our council so went to A2 and got a newbuild flat 3 days later, granted we where stupidly lucky but they have such a faster turn around then the council because councils dont realy deal with housing much anymore.

In our area,they are all one..you go on one register,then you bid on properties each week,some are council some housing assosiations :flower: xx

I can join the list but because oh works even though is low income and because his parents have a 4bed house we would be in the lowest band and its like a few years wait yet we pay over half of oh's wages every month on renting this house.

Also yes there is the incentive to move however my gran and her hubby moved from a 4bed got given liek £200 per bedroom they down graded plus moviing costs paid for and still moved to a 2bed lol

housing associations have recently merged with the council but before that there was a 2 year wait just to join the list and the list only opened twice a year for new applicants. It is so difficult to get the affordable housing because there are not enough houses to go round, especially 3 bedroom houses that families urgently need. I agree that elderly people shouldn't be evicted from houses that they have lived in for 50 years + but at the same time, young families shouldn't be put into emergency housing like hostels and b&b's or run down and dirty accommodation because they can't afford anything else. There is a serious problem with the lack of housing and it isn't helped by the majority of private landlords refusing tenants who have rent payment by DSS. A shake up is definitely needed, start with the people who can afford to buy or privately rent and take it from there. I also get really angry when I see people who have managed to get council housing and have no pride in their home, some council estates are disgusting. Overgrown gardens filled with litter and discarded furniture etc. :growlmad:

housing associations have recently merged with the council but before that there was a 2 year wait just to join the list and the list only opened twice a year for new applicants. It is so difficult to get the affordable housing because there are not enough houses to go round, especially 3 bedroom houses that families urgently need. I agree that elderly people shouldn't be evicted from houses that they have lived in for 50 years + but at the same time, young families shouldn't be put into emergency housing like hostels and b&b's or run down and dirty accommodation because they can't afford anything else. There is a serious problem with the lack of housing and it isn't helped by the majority of private landlords refusing tenants who have rent payment by DSS. A shake up is definitely needed, start with the people who can afford to buy or privately rent and take it from there. I also get really angry when I see people who have managed to get council housing and have no pride in their home, some council estates are disgusting. Overgrown gardens filled with litter and discarded furniture etc. :growlmad:

Our estate is like that :( out of the whole load of flats there are maybe 4 that take pride in their gardens...I'm in the process of sorting our out,but the grass is all short...makes me mad...the people who did live upstairs had their grass up to my eye line...and our garden is raised above theirs :wacko: xx

Agreed. The elderly are a vulnerable group in society and often overlooked. I don't think one group has more rights than another.

I would be interested in statistics about how many people earning over 100k actually have a council house. Those kind of salaries do not come from thin air and I would not have thought many of them were ever eligible for council housing.

I think it said on the news,it would affect over 6000 people :flower: xx

It's a good plan, but they also need to stop selling council houses!! (thatchers Britain - Don't get me started on that one!!!!)

They were built for a reason, for lower rent for people who need it, but they have sold so mucy of their stock here that the list is endless, our council tell people who are overcrowded to sleep in their livingrooms!! How bad is that, it's like living in the 1920's all over again!

I do agree with incentives to try and get people to move on from their council houses but shouldn't force them!

They could have got married, had kids, lost partners in that one house over decades so it would be quite difficult for them to move on, but if they were willing to then they should be helped along with it,

So councils should have something in place just to check up on tenants situations, then maybe help them to downsize.

I know it seems horrible moving an old person out of their home BUT those houses with 2/3 empty bedrooms could be being used to house families with 3/4/5 kids who are stuck in B&Bs, hostels etc because there are no homes for them to go in to!

I agree about some council tenants not looking after the homes. Should really think about what they have, you can decorate and do what you like to the place aswell.

On the bidding cycle over here for HA, there are loads of the same properties every week that come up and are empty but people are not bidding as they are usually top floor flats.

My nan is in a 3 bed bigger than mine on her own. I do understand that maybe she has to much space but at the same time, the council gave her that house, homeless people with no housing is not my nans problem, if you get me? Why should she have to move so others can get housed? I think that makes sense. Plus my grandads ashes are sprinkled in the garden, she would never move by choice.

I do kind of sit on the fence, I can see WHY but at the same time, its not her problem kind of thing?

When we got our council house no one checked our income (or lack of it). We had to give proof of identity and 2 references. That was it.

I agree about some council tenants not looking after the homes. Should really think about what they have, you can decorate and do what you like to the place aswell.
On the bidding cycle over here for HA, there are loads of the same properties every week that come up and are empty but people are not bidding as they are usually top floor flats.

Not allways, you are supposed to get permision if you want to decorate, with ours there is a list of specified colours that you are only allowed to use.
When we went to go get the paint though the guy looked at us realy shocked apparently hes never met anyone that actualy stuck to the colour rules before, everyone else just painted how they wanted :)

Did anyone see a programe not long back about people that had council flats and then went on to buy there own place elsewhere and rent out the owned home while still living in the rented one, under the seccured tennancy agreement thats also allowed but should be stoped.
Another one they are claming down on is people illegaly renting out their council place somtimes having more then one council place under different names.

I actualy shoped my old landlord when I found out he was renting me his co owned place under his gf name, renting out his council place under his name and owned a third place.
I was moving (being forced) out and he was trying to screw me other for my deposit and claiming I owed rent that I didnt so I thought screw him, he ended up lossing the council place and his co owned place.
Turned out I had gone to school with him and he stole my cd player in school so I felt even more smug :)

I can understand the elderly person position. It does seem harsh to make them move as they are vulnerable. But I know plenty of parents whose children have all moved out. Yet they are still in their 3 bed council house. Imo people in those situation shouldn't be able to stay in a 3 bedroom house whilst a family with a young baby would only be entitled to a 1 bed flat or a hostel.

My nan is in a 3 bed bigger than mine on her own. I do understand that maybe she has to much space but at the same time, the council gave her that house, homeless people with no housing is not my nans problem, if you get me? Why should she have to move so others can get housed? I think that makes sense. Plus my grandads ashes are sprinkled in the garden, she would never move by choice.

I do kind of sit on the fence, I can see WHY but at the same time, its not her problem kind of thing?

My great aunt had a 3 bed house that she was forced out of once she developed alzimers.
This house was where my nan, great grandmother and 5 of my great aunts and uncles where born, in all 11 members of my family had been born lived and grew up in that house over the course of 90 years.
We tried to keep it on but because it had been passed through 3 names in the same family their rules where it had to be handed back so my great aunt was put into a nursing home and then passed away a few weeks after heart broken.

The whole of our family lives down one road and has done for generations and the family that it was given to wrecked it and its a complete state now.

I can understand the elderly person position. It does seem harsh to make them move as they are vulnerable. But I know plenty of parents whose children have all moved out. Yet they are still in their 3 bed council house. Imo people in those situation shouldn't be able to stay in a 3 bedroom house whilst a family with a young baby would only be entitled to a 1 bed flat or a hostel.

But those older people where in the same situation once when they where younger with families, I dont see the younger families jumping to move out once their own familes have grown up

But those older people where in the same situation once when they where younger with families, I dont see the younger families jumping to move out once their own familes have grown up

Yeah that's true, its just sad seeing a family that are truely overcrowded, having to stay in such circumstances. I can't say I would know how it feels as I've never been in that situation. But no way should the elderly be forced to move out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"