Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

Right to buy wasnt completly a bad thing, it gave millions the chance to own their own home that would never of been able to have otherwise.
The down fall was the drastic increase in the population in the 80's-90's id kill for a chance to have what they tried to do.

It is all about attitude though isn't it? In many other countries homeownership is not such a big deal as it is here. People are happy to rent.

I still don't get the fuss about owning a house, unless you buy it outright you never really own it anyway till you are about go pop your clogs.

A whole lot of the people who bought council houses, then went on to sell them to landlords who would rent them out for ridiculous prices then the previous lot who sold the house ended up with bigger mortgages they couldn't afford during recession and ended up homeless.

Right to buy was engineered by the Tories to entrap people into not striking from work places etc for better conditions of working, ie- they could freeze wages (like they are doing now) and nobody will do anything about it because if you strike you don't get paid- you would always have too much to lose if you spoke up.
So you get a mortgage, buy a council house even though you are on a lower income, and pretty much have to take everything lying down because you can't afford not to.

It's all about engineered control.

This turned into a big V for Vendetta Tory rant , sorry!

But then you get the other side of the coin of a government that lets every man, woman and their dog thats just come into the country have a home and still screw the mothers and babys that need them.

The Tories wouldn't have stopped that either, as much as I disagree with it no government party would have stopped it.

Right to buy wasnt completly a bad thing, it gave millions the chance to own their own home that would never of been able to have otherwise.
The down fall was the drastic increase in the population in the 80's-90's id kill for a chance to have what they tried to do.

It is all about attitude though isn't it? In many other countries homeownership is not such a big deal as it is here. People are happy to rent.

I still don't get the fuss about owning a house, unless you buy it outright you never really own it anyway till you are about go pop your clogs.

A whole lot of the people who bought council houses, then went on to sell them to landlords who would rent them out for ridiculous prices then the previous lot who sold the house ended up with bigger mortgages they couldn't afford during recession and ended up homeless.

Right to buy was engineered by the Tories to entrap people into not striking from work places etc for better conditions of working, ie- they could freeze wages (like they are doing now) and nobody will do anything about it because if you strike you don't get paid- you would always have too much to lose if you spoke up.
So you get a mortgage, buy a council house even though you are on a lower income, and pretty much have to take everything lying down because you can't afford not to.

It's all about engineered control.

This turned into a big V for Vendetta Tory rant , sorry!

But then you get the other side of the coin of a government that lets every man, woman and their dog thats just come into the country have a home and still screw the mothers and babys that need them.

The Tories wouldn't have stopped that either, as much as I disagree with it no government party would have stopped it.

My point being that no government is better or worse then the other

I too think 50k is more than enough to go and private rent/put a deposit down somewhere.
£100k is a little high I think and it's not going to have a huge impact.

too bloody right imo. i have an uncle who was given a 1bed council flat when he was homeless and jobless - fair enough. he then moved in his girlfriend, they both got jobs and then had a kid. as soon as LO was born, they were moved to a 2bed house... why?! they were both working, they should be made to look for a private rented house like everybody else.

It's definitely the right decision but I think it should be people earning like 40/50k who should give them up.

I also think they should only offer 5/10 year tenancys and after that time if your circumstances have changed dramaticly then they need move out. I know people who earn 10k nore then us but their rent is half ours.

Problem with a cap of say £40k is someone like us would then have to rent privetly and rent for a 2 bed in my area is around £1000 -£1300 a month.
Once you add all the other typical bills to that of council tax, electricity, gas, car, travle for my work, food, basic food and nappies for LO (not including clothes and everything else that comes along with a baby) child care cover, phone so on and so one its routhly £29000.
So at that cost Id be better off giving up work to lower the joint income and live off the government instead.
Somewhere closer into london would be a dam sight worse off.

Dont get me wrong I think they should have a cap on it but £100k is reasonable, without wishing to offend people but between me and OH we pay over £3k in tax a month and have done for the last 15 years (not including council tax) so why shouldnt we be able to use the same housing help that others who pay less or nothing towards do

Tbh 50k around here isnt all that much given private rent and house prices, a 1 bed house here is 125k upwards.

Granted, it doesnt mean you're in dire need of a council house but its not rolling in it, i think if they were to do it based on income then it needs to be relative to living costs in the area

I think the cap should vary from places to places. Where I live the average 3 bedroom house in a nice area is about 500-600 a month but I know in some certain areas in different parts of the country, the price of renting is much higher and its not necessarily in a good area.

I totally agree with this, and much more should be done besides. It's so difficult for those who really need it to get a council house! You have to be in ridiculously dire need to get one, and even then it can take so long.

I'm talking from personal experience. My Nan and grandad live alone in a massive 3 bed house which could house a family who really need it. They aren't well off by any means but I feel that so many people need that house more than her. I'm currently living in my boyfriend's dad's council house, it's a 3 bed also and there's currently me, boyfriend, bf's dad and baby, but soon us 3 will be moving out to a little 2 bed apartment paying £475 a month on 1 income of just 13k, while BF's dad knocks about alone in a 3 bed house for £300 per month and he earns well more than us! It's crazy. Just crazy.

I agree with the person who said it should be reviewed every 5 years....at least check that the bedrooms are all being used for god's sake!!!!!!

Pffft aslong as the rent is being paid then who cares how much the income is? I'd much rather live next door to a respectable member of the community who earns a ton than some pain in the arse chav who has their music blasting and isn't even paying full rent! There is so many people in council housing who pay like £7 rent, WTF? So because someone goes out and earns a living they have to pay like £80 more? Thats just wrong. The whole system is messed up.

I understand some people need the extra help and all that but its totally wrong to charge a ton more to those who go out to earn a living. I'm not talking about those who live in council housing and pay cheap for a valid reason but so many people these days use benefits as a way of life. I'd much rather live next door to a nice wealthy person than some dole bum who uses the system for the sake of it.

Also, for those saying old people should move from bigger homes. Why should they? Thats their home. My Gran lives in a 3 bed house and she's lived there for almost 40 years, all her memories are in this house, her security, her friendly neighbours, it's her home and she's been nothing but a good tenant for all those years, why the hell should she move out? I understand that people need houses but that doesn't mean you can uproot people from their homes. It's just wrong IMO.

Pffft aslong as the rent is being paid then who cares how much the income is? I'd much rather live next door to a respectable member of the community who earns a ton than some pain in the arse chav who has their music blasting and isn't even paying full rent! There is so many people in council housing who pay like £7 rent, WTF? So because someone goes out and earns a living they have to pay like £80 more? Thats just wrong. The whole system is messed up.

social housing is for people who NEED it. that's why people care. if you're earning 100k a year, you don't need to be living in a council house where your rent is subsidised.

But its not like its subsadised by much, this may be very different elsewhere but our 2 bed is still £500 a month but at least thats still a dam sight cheaper then the £1000-£1300 id be paying.

So basicly im still paying nearly the same amount for a council place that others are elsewhere for a private rent

social housing is for people who NEED it. that's why people care. if you're earning 100k a year, you don't need to be living in a council house where your rent is subsidised.

A lot of the people in council housing are there because they can't be arsed earning a living, thats not needing it, its wanting it. I'm not in any way saying this is everyone, but its a proportion.

What if some people moved in when they were poor and then got rich? Why should they be turfed out of their home? What about those who have spent a lot of money on doing the place up, nicely tiled bathrooms and what not then to be asked to leave? Some people like to settle in the one house :shrug:

Tonnes of people abuse the system anyway. What about those who have kids just to get a house? Wouldn't you be a bit miffed if you were turfed out of your home just to house someone like that?

(No disrespect to those who need it for valid reasons) but not everyone is like that.

A lot of the people in council housing are there because they can't be arsed earning a living, thats not needing it, its wanting it. I'm not in any way saying this is everyone, but its a proportion.

What if some people moved in when they were poor and then got rich? Why should they be turfed out of their home? What about those who have spent a lot of money on doing the place up, nicely tiled bathrooms and what not then to be asked to leave? Some people like to settle in the one house :shrug:

Tonnes of people abuse the system anyway. What about those who have kids just to get a house? Wouldn't you be a bit miffed if you were turfed out of your home just to house someone like that?

(No disrespect to those who need it for valid reasons) but not everyone is like that.

Exactly, we got a council place originaly becaus ewe both worked for the same company and both got made redundant, we lost our home, savings the lot and ended up with me moving back to my mums anf hubby sleeping on his mums sofa so they gave us a place.
Since then we have worked our butts off in new jobs and promotions to get back to where we are and make a family home.
If it wasnt for council housing we never would have been able to afford having a baby especialy not in this area

But its not like its subsadised by much, this may be very different elsewhere but our 2 bed is still £500 a month but at least thats still a dam sight cheaper then the £1000-£1300 id be paying.

So basicly im still paying nearly the same amount for a council place that others are elsewhere for a private rent

i dont understand? if it's the same as some people pay for private then why would you be paying £1300? x

i dont understand? if it's the same as some people pay for private then why would you be paying £1300? x

Because I was comparing housing costs where I am to elsewhere, the cost of our council rent is about the same as private renting in other areas so private renting in our area is on advarage £1000-£1300.

Even the £500 we pay is concidered cheap here, some places the same size are more

Example of a 3 bed flat in my area £1200 per week
https://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8803200
Yes this is on the more extreme end but this is quite a common sort of price and property here

so just to live there and pay my bills id need to be earning about £80000

Yes this is on the more extreme end but this is quite a common sort of price and property here

Correct me if I'm wrong? But surely it's all relative? :shrug:

Correct me if I'm wrong? But surely it's all relative? :shrug:

My point being you cant put an overall cap of somthing like £40k because one area is very different from another it would need to be on a case by case basis.

Someone who earns £40k in one area can still be alot worse off at the end of the day then someone who earns £20k in another area and even alot worse off then someone who doesnt work but gets things like rent and stuff paid for them sometimes

Aah I'm with you! Sorry brain fart! :rofl:

Haha. If you think it works that someone pops out a baby and gets handed a flat then you read too many tabloids. I have a baby, the 3 of us live in one cramped bedroom at BF's dad's house and yet we'd have at least a 2 year wait. Don't believe everything you read.

And yes these families or even single mums who are squashed in with family or friends, with nowhere else to go need these houses!!! I know people like to settle in one place, but council housing, in my opinion should NOT be that permanent. It should be a stop gap for those who really need it, for the period until their on their feet, at which a time people should be gracious enough to realise other people need it more and MOVE THEMSELVES!!!! If they don't then yes their ungrateful asses should be tossed out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->