Wealthy Council Tenants could lose homes

That is what I said earlier, with such a shortage of homes, tenants need to show that they are looking after and maintaining their property as well as being sociable and respectable neighbours. How difficult is it to put your rubbish out and mow the lawn ?? :shrug: Council estates get such bad reputations because of selfish thoughtless individuals. The three strikes and your out rule should apply, if you get warnings to maintain your property and you don't adhere to it, then move on and let someone else build a comfortable home for their family. In my opinion, its the people that are happy living in filthy squalid homes that they have destroyed, should be put into the rundown accommodation that young families are being forced into.

Here having a badly matained garden is now a breach of your tenancy and they can throw you out for it.xx

Its been a breach of tenancy for as long as I can remember but the council don't seem bothered enough to follow it up so people just get away with living like animals.

We're due to become homeless on the 28th of August. My partner lost his job. I am not working obviously.

I am dreading moving into a council flat. I really am :nope:
That sounds so stuck up but I am just so different to the 'type' of people who live there. It does irritate me that those people get the council to bow down to them whenever they want.

My friend has two kids and her child was sick on the carpet. Next thing she'd ripped it all up and rang the council, few weeks later and she has laminate flooring throughout her house :shrug:

I'm really sorry that's happening to you. It's not all bad though, my BF's dad lives next door to a vicar and they're all lovely! The street is gorgeous, it's just his house he trashed :growlmad:
I'm sure you'll find somewhere nice...and I hope you get back on your feet soon :hugs::hugs:

Its not the same everywhere and tbh 2k isnt much to give up a lifetime of memories of births, families children growing up and loved ones lost and 60 odd years in your home is it

Yes but my point is that people shouldn't settle into council houses for life, they should be viewed as temporary accommodation. It is more difficult for those who have lived there years and years, and who when they moved in there was more social housing available, but for those who are moving into council houses more recently I just don't think they should be setting themselves up to stay there for life.

I was only mentioning for the person whose nan they said would consider moving :thumbup:

But thats on the assumption that everyone can afford to move on and buy their own home elsewhere after a couple of years living in a council place, the reality is thats only realy about 2% of people that can actualy do that.
Most have no choice but to spend their life in a council house

No they can rent privately after a couple of years...:shrug:

Again, not everyone can afford it. My Dad has lived in his council house for 11 years now, but he keeps it in tiptop condition (he's obsessed with gardening :dohh:) and despite his 'comfortable' income, he can't afford to rent privately. Not everyone can move, and to be honest aslong as they are being good tenants then why should they? It is only a 2bed house mind.

We have an appointment with them tomorrow.
So we shall see. I've been bidding on properties to prove that we're doing something about it.
But we're like 50th on the list or something stupid.
We're only bronze band at the moment though as they haven't seen our evidence that we're being evicted (hence the meeting tomorrow)!

It's such a shame because I love this house so much. It's the only time i've felt settled and we've made it our own. :cry: Anyway im taking the thread off topic lol! xx

i totally get what you're saying about seeming well off doesn't mean you actually are, it's the same with my parents, the biggest thing to me is that fair enough someone may earn 60k for instance, but 60k between a couple with 1 baby is a bit different to 60k for a couple with 4 kids. So I totally understand what you mean, I really do. But at the same time you must understand that there are people who need the housing more, and who can afford private renting much less than your dad who as you say does have savings...some people have nothing. Not that I am saying your dad is doing anything wrong and should give up his house, I don't know his situation at all so I won't judge, and I'm sorry if anything sounds offensive.

And no offence but I'm going through uni myself, going into my third year next year and just had a baby and my parent's have not given me a penny, I've not needed them to I've managed by myself. So I don't really see that as a very good reason for your dad to not be able to afford renting :S :S Baring in mind most students manage to rent a house themselves! As for private school, imo paying for a child to go to private school is not as important as a family having a home!!

I'm sorry, I think tbh my boyfriend's dad has just made me angry about council houses, the way that 1 person can knock about in a 3bed and just trash it to the point he has... it's just wrong.

I'm not offended at all :)

I get what you mean. I can see completely both sides. I have the opinion with well if these people are looking after their homes and good tenants then why should they move out? But I equally understand that some people need homes, you can't really win either way.

I also get your point about my Dad :) but those savings will be gone within the next few years because they've gone on my uni. Now if he moved to private accommodation, then those savings would be blown on rent and gone within a few years and then he'd be back to square one because his income alone wouldn't be able to support a private house if you get what I mean? And the chances of him being able to get another council house would be slim.

I understand plenty of students manage without their parents help and what not. But that money is my Dads savings and he obviously chose to use it to provide me with a debt free future. He obviously is doing his best by me and i'm sure you will in the future for your daughter :) regardless of whether its seen as right or wrong.

God knows how she managed it, I dread to think.
Although these are the type of people who lie about disabilities and things... not nice people.
Maybe it's just because of the people I know im worried about moving into a council estate. OH has 'been there done that' and I haven't.

Sounds stupid but im actually scared!

Most of these estates have reputations but they are unfounded...where I live everyone said :shock: you don't want to live there!!!We have been here 2 years and it has a great nursery,a park right outside our house,3 schools in the catchment area,2 supermarkets within a 5 min walk and it's fine...

I promise not everyone who lives on a council estate is going to try and mug you..lol..you'll find people are all really friendly as they know what people think they are going to be like :flower: xx

Realistically everyone should be entitled to a home that is adequate for their needs. A single person rattling about in a 3 bedroom house isn't really fair on the family cramped living in 1 bedroom. :nope: As I said before, I would never suggest that an elderly person be evicted from a home they have lived in for the majority of their life but an offer should be made for them to move at the least inconvenience and upset to them - in many cases it could be for their benefit. Someone in advancing years may not be able to care for a big house on their own and would be happier in a smaller property :shrug: For the person/s on a higher income who can afford to rent privately or buy their own property then yes, they should move on and let those less fortunate have a home and for the filthy layabouts who sit in their pigsty hovel - they should most definitely be forced out.

Its not the same everywhere and tbh 2k isnt much to give up a lifetime of memories of births, families children growing up and loved ones lost and 60 odd years in your home is it

Yes but my point is that people shouldn't settle into council houses for life, they should be viewed as temporary accommodation. It is more difficult for those who have lived there years and years, and who when they moved in there was more social housing available, but for those who are moving into council houses more recently I just don't think they should be setting themselves up to stay there for life.

I was only mentioning for the person whose nan they said would consider moving :thumbup:

But thats on the assumption that everyone can afford to move on and buy their own home elsewhere after a couple of years living in a council place, the reality is thats only realy about 2% of people that can actualy do that.

Again, not everyone can afford it. My Dad has lived in his council house for 11 years now, but he keeps it in tiptop condition (he's obsessed with gardening :dohh:) and despite his 'comfortable' income, he can't afford to rent privately. Not everyone can move, and to be honest aslong as they are being good tenants then why should they? It is only a 2bed house mind.

Well if he genuinely can't afford to without a drastic drop in his lifestyle then that's absolutely fine, i would not class him as 'back on his feet'. But those who are should move. I'll use myself as an example, at the moment, yes I could do with living in a council house. Me and my boyfriend are both students, so our incomes are ridiculously low, we also have struggled to find a place as noone will rent to students (except student houses). So BF has got a temporary full time job for the summer and I've already got a part time job and we've had to apply as if we're not students :dohh: Our rent on a tiny apartment is £475 and I'm not going to lie, the next couple of years are going to be ridiculously tight, and we could really really do with living in a council house. But by the end of next year my BF will be a qualified teacher and I'll have a history degree. Another year after that and hopefully BF will have found a teaching job and be on 21k. He'd be supporting 2 people and a baby and paying the bills on that, but at that point if we'd had a council house, we'd have moved out! Because we wouldn't have needed it as badly!

I know not everyone has as bright prospects as we do, but so many people are living in council housing who don't REALLY need to...and so there's no council house for us in the 1st place because of people like BF's dad, so god knows how we'll get by until then.

i totally get what you're saying about seeming well off doesn't mean you actually are, it's the same with my parents, the biggest thing to me is that fair enough someone may earn 60k for instance, but 60k between a couple with 1 baby is a bit different to 60k for a couple with 4 kids. So I totally understand what you mean, I really do. But at the same time you must understand that there are people who need the housing more, and who can afford private renting much less than your dad who as you say does have savings...some people have nothing. Not that I am saying your dad is doing anything wrong and should give up his house, I don't know his situation at all so I won't judge, and I'm sorry if anything sounds offensive.

And no offence but I'm going through uni myself, going into my third year next year and just had a baby and my parent's have not given me a penny, I've not needed them to I've managed by myself. So I don't really see that as a very good reason for your dad to not be able to afford renting :S :S Baring in mind most students manage to rent a house themselves! As for private school, imo paying for a child to go to private school is not as important as a family having a home!!

I'm sorry, I think tbh my boyfriend's dad has just made me angry about council houses, the way that 1 person can knock about in a 3bed and just trash it to the point he has... it's just wrong.

I get what you mean. I can see completely both sides. I have the opinion with well if these people are looking after their homes and good tenants then why should they move out? But I equally understand that some people need homes, you can't really win either way.

I also get your point about my Dad :) but those savings will be gone within the next few years because they've gone on my uni. Now if he moved to private accommodation, then those savings would be blown on rent and gone within a few years and then he'd be back to square one because his income alone wouldn't be able to support a private house if you get what I mean? And the chances of him being able to get another council house would be slim.

I understand plenty of students manage without their parents help and what not. But that money is my Dads savings and he obviously chose to use it to provide me with a debt free future. He obviously is doing his best by me and i'm sure you will in the future for your daughter :) regardless of whether its seen as right or wrong.

Aww that's so sweet of your dad. TBF I think my parents will help my little sis more who will be going in a couple of years now the fees have gone up, as long as they have the money to do so (my dad might be made redundant.)

Yeah now you've explained about your dad better I totally get why he needs it? Is he on his own as well? As that makes a big difference. That's the only thing about my BF's dad is that he's on his own, it is much harder to afford private rent with 1 income. But he's got a GF he goes and stays with about 4 nights a week which makes it even worse as when we go this house will be empty more than half of the time!!!!:dohh::dohh:

I totally see your point angelic :thumbup: I can see why you're a bit miffed at the system, especially when you need it.

Aww that's so sweet of your dad. TBF I think my parents will help my little sis more who will be going in a couple of years now the fees have gone up, as long as they have the money to do so (my dad might be made redundant.)

Yeah now you've explained about your dad better I totally get why he needs it? Is he on his own as well? As that makes a big difference. That's the only thing about my BF's dad is that he's on his own, it is much harder to afford private rent with 1 income. But he's got a GF he goes and stays with about 4 nights a week which makes it even worse as when we go this house will be empty more than half of the time!!!!:dohh::dohh:

He is on his own yeah :) he always has been since I was 6.

Oh god, the whole fees going up for uni is a whole other debate! It doesn't affect me but god I get pissed at it. What the hell were the government thinking :dohh:

You know what ticks me off? Is those in council properties who can't be arsed earning a living. Take my Mums street for example (she can't work because she's mentally ill) so she's been put in a crappy area. And 90% of that area is made up of chavs, paying £4-£7 rent and they all spend their time sitting outside or inside smoking dope, taking cannabis and getting drunk. Don't even mention the state of their gardens. Everyday and i'm not even joking. Those kinds of people IMO are the ones who should be turfed out because they're not even trying, they're just abusing the system. All their 'JSA' is wasted on alcohol and drugs :dohh: but then of course they can't be because they would argue they 'need' it. You get what I mean?

Sorry i've gone slightly O/T and ranted :blush:

And thats when we start going round in circles, like iv said I cant afford the adverage rent here of £1000-£1300 a month.
So are you saying everyone who has been in council for say 5 years has to then move on and pay privetly, all the old people, single parents, struggling families, out of work people, people that work their butts off but still cant afford private.

The world isnt so black and white

God knows how she managed it, I dread to think.
Although these are the type of people who lie about disabilities and things... not nice people.
Maybe it's just because of the people I know im worried about moving into a council estate. OH has 'been there done that' and I haven't.

Sounds stupid but im actually scared!

Most of these estates have reputations but they are unfounded...where I live everyone said :shock: you don't want to live there!!!We have been here 2 years and it has a great nursery,a park right outside our house,3 schools in the catchment area,2 supermarkets within a 5 min walk and it's fine...

I promise not everyone who lives on a council estate is going to try and mug you..lol..you'll find people are all really friendly as they know what people think they are going to be like :flower: xx

You are bang on there harveysmum, council estates aren't all the horror stories bandied about. We bought an ex council house, there's a mix on our estate of ones that are now privately owned and ones that are still council. And guess what, like everywhere on the planet there are some lovely people and some knobheads. You get knobhead neighbours in the 'best' areas too, it pees me off that some people seem to think council estate=hell. On the other hand, that sort of snobbery means that ex council houses sell for a wee bit less than they would otherwise so that was good for us as it meant we could afford a mortgage.

The danger IMO of turfing people out of council properties if they manage to get a bit ahead is of ending up with a situation in which all council estates really do end up as sinks for those who can't be arsed, and that's incredibly wrong not least because ppl who need affordable housing would be surrounded by it by no fault of their own.

I have lived in council accommodation as well and had mixed experiences of that. Where I was then, the rent wasn't even much more per extra bedroom, which to me is a bit effed up really as that in itself would surely be an incentive for ppl to downsize once they're on their own or whatever.

The entire system is rotten and needs reworking completely really.

:flower:

And thats when we start going round in circles, like iv said I cant afford the adverage rent here of £1000-£1300 a month.
So are you saying everyone who has been in council for say 5 years has to then move on and pay privetly, all the old people, single parents, struggling families, out of work people, people that work their butts off but still cant afford private.

The world isnt so black and white

No but as I said in a different post to the one you quoted they should move when they're 'on their feet', not before then :thumbup:

I don't think they should be 'well off' though, just able to afford private renting and get by with a reasonable standard of life. I'm going to be privately renting soon. I definitely can't afford it. But I don't have a choice. :shrug:

[/QUOTE]

No but as I said in a different post to the one you quoted they should move when they're 'on their feet', not before then :thumbup:

I don't think they should be 'well off' though, just able to afford private renting and get by with a reasonable standard of life. I'm going to be privately renting soon. I definitely can't afford it. But I don't have a choice. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Sorry cut the rest out as it was getting a bit long :)

My point being is you cant say people shouldnt make a home out of council housing and also complain about people not keeping it nice.

Also you cant realy say pepole shouldnt make a home out of it and only stay there till they are back on their feet because some have no choice but to live in these places so what are they supposed to do live their lifes out of boxes and not dare put a picture up?
This is when you then get back round the circle of an older person that has had to live their life there, so what they wasnt ment to make a home of it?

Yes there should be some form of monitering to prevent people from blaintently ripping off council housing but dont condemm people and put people that have worked thier butts off, make a home out of what they have, keep it nice and clean, take pride in what they have in the same basket as people that just couldnt give a dam and treat front gardens like dumping grounds and such.

Some of us take pride in what we have but cant afford private, why should we have to move on rather then make a home for ourselfs.
Iv more then paid my way so sod it im living in what I deserve

My point being is you cant say people shouldnt make a home out of council housing and also complain about people not keeping it nice.

yeah that's a good point actually, bit of a conundrum :p . But then my anger isn't really at them people its at those who can afford who then don't move. :thumbup: As for having built a home and memories by the time you can afford private, I dunno, people have to move for different reasons all the time it can be sad yes but should other people suffer in squalor for someone's memories? I just think that's selfish and personally could not have that on my conscious.

yeah that's a good point actually, bit of a conundrum :p . But then my anger isn't really at them people its at those who can afford who then don't move. :thumbup: As for having built a home and memories by the time you can afford private, I dunno, people have to move for different reasons all the time it can be sad yes but should other people suffer in squalor for someone's memories? I just think that's selfish and personally could not have that on my conscious.

You can decorate and make a home nice without expecting to spend the rest of your days there. We privately rent and have decorated, updated light fittings, planted flowers in the garden etc. We only moved in last year and we certainly don't expect to stay here for years, in fact we are looking to move at the end of the year. Its about making your home habitable and comfortable for you. Just because you spend money doing a place up doesn't give you legal entitlement to the property.

You can decorate and make a home nice without expecting to spend the rest of your days there. We privately rent and have decorated, updated light fittings, planted flowers in the garden etc. We only moved in last year and we certainly don't expect to stay here for years, in fact we are looking to move at the end of the year. Its about making your home habitable and comfortable for you. Just because you spend money doing a place up doesn't give you legal entitlement to the property.

Agree entirely :thumbup: I did up the last house but 1 house I rented completely, we spent a fortune on it, but only ended up being there 3 months in the end. :shrug:

Its one of those things that you cant realy judge too much on untill you have been on both ends I suppose.
Just remember that most of us are likely to be in that situation in 40-50 years time, will we be so quick to give up everything we have worked on and all our memories of raising a family for someone else.

If the focus was put more on the people that are ripping off the system and people that are coming over here and buying up 5-6 properties to rent out then that would free up at least 50% for others then the ones who genuinly just trying to make a home and get by can be left alone.

This programme that was on not long back explained how people offering money for people to take on council houses then have someone move in with them claiming a fake relationship but then 2 years later having a fake split and moving out so the "girlfriend" kept the property, they followed this one bloke that had done it about 8 times to get people in council places without waiting.
Another one was a guy that had 6 council properties under different names and was renting them out to others.
They even followed this high up police officer that rented out 2 council properties while renting out a owned property and living in a villa in france.

Its people like this that need looking into not people that are on a comfertable income but still living in council housing.

The last place I was in was a new build and the council paid a fortune on it only to have neighbors that no other council would touch move into them and trash the place, we had dune buggys being driven across the garden, fights, drug dealing, burnt out car dump it was such a shame to happen to what could have been a realy nice area.
Move those people on.

This place now we have such lovely neighbors, most have been in here about 40 years and they have made a lovely enviroment, everything is clean we have neighbors knocking on our door within 2 days offering help and asking us if we needed anything.
The kids here are polite and lovely, no shouting, no police.
Why wouldnt I want to make my home here and bring my children up

What annoys me is that when I went to look to buy a new build flat on the keyworker scheme, I couldn't because I couldn't afford the massive repayments, to rent a small one bed flat which was lovely but TINY was £900 per month.
I t overlooked the council housing 3 storey, 3 bed townhouses with en suite bathrooms that council tenants could rent for £30 per week.

ETA The last house me and my OH rented was left pristine as I'm a bit of a clean freak, we ended up losing £1500 deposit for a stain on the bedroom carpet, the landlord decided that he wanted all new carpeting on the upstairs and the actual stairs. That was £1000 per month for a two bed house with a tiny second bedroom that the landlord was using to store his disgusting furniture and our two cats had to live in a shed because he didn't want any pets in there (fair enough) but wanted an extra £1000 deposit 'in case one of them got in and caused damage'

I hate renting privately, I'd love to be in a council place and do it up how I wanted for £7 a week!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->