weaning age- 6 months old or 24 weeks?

dizzymeg

Reaction score
Hi
This might sound daft, but at what age do you wean in accordance with? Is it their actual age, ie for olly he would be 6 months on 31st feb, or 24 weeks?
Olly is 23 weeks old and is getting interested in watching us eat, he watches the food go from hand to mouth and when we drink he does the same.
I want to do BLW, so having read the books I know the advice is not to start this before 6 months, and if I can avoid it I dont want to start with TW.
Any advice ladies?
thanks in advance
x

6 months in weeks is actually 26 weeks (a year being 52 weeks). I didn't think about it until someone pointed it out when I had the very same question as you! However, because it was close enough and my baby was showing a lot of signs of being ready to wean, we started letting our son have some food from 24 weeks, 2 days old. However, as we're blw he hasnt actually eaten much yet, so if your LO is showings signs, it might be worth you doing the same sometime soon- putting the food out, get them used to the idea. They'll only eat when they're ready! HTH!

We started at 24 weeks and two days also! It's recommended to wait until six months so their digestive systems are mature but as we started blw weaning I figured she would be eating so little in the first few weeks it wouldn't matter too much if we started a few days early.

Is your little one sitting up unaided yet? This is quite important with blw as it helps minimise the risk of choking.

xx

I'd highly doubt that 2 weeks makes much difference, the great thing about BLW is that they don't eat before they;re ready, anyway.

no he cant sit up unaided yet, he is almost there! I just thought I would put him on my lap and show him my food, and put him in his bumbo and again just put a couple of things on his tray just to get used to seeing food really. I dont expect him to eat for months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->