weaning help

rosepetals36

Reaction score
Hello!

now i don't intend to start weaning yet as LO is 17 weeks, but for past Cpl days we gave noticed he really eyeballs out food when we eatin lol

so thought i would get all info/facts/advice before so im well prepared when we do decide to take the plunge

how do u know they are fully ready? What foods are best to start with? What is baby led weaning? How much do u give them to start with?

u wud think i remembered all of this but i really don't lol, dd was really greedy from the get go, and had no problem transitioning to food, ds was a nightmare and blank refused food/milk all the time! (never ate until he started his growth hormone therapy as his brain doesn't produce it so he was tiny)

With Callum we started when he was 5.5 months, in all honesty I don't remember him showing any signs, he'd watch us eat from early on (as does Maisie!) I just wanted it started before christmas (he was exactly 6 months boxing day). We traditional weaned and started with a week of baby rice at dinner time, in between his 10 and 2 o clock bottles. Then the following week we moved onto carrot puree for a couple of days then apple puree for a couple of days etc. Once we knew he was ok with foods we mixed (apple and pear, carrot and sweet potato with parsnip etc).

We gave him a full fruit or veg, so one carrot pureed or one apple pureed (he only ate half to start with but I preferred to have more in the bowl so there was enough) Good luck for when you do start hun xx

https://www.babyledweaning.com/some-tips-to-get-you-started/
You know your baby is ready for blw when he can sit by himself and shows interest for food. There are other signs that you should find on the link I've posted.
When you go with baby led weaning, in the beginning it's more exploration than eating. Both my siblings were weaned that way and I remember them having more fun making banana mash than actually eating it for the first few weeks :haha: Once they figured out they could swallow it, not just tast it, they wanted to try everything though.

DS paid SO much attention to us eating from quite a young age. I know some people wean early for various reasons but we decided to wait until 6 months after reading all the advice etc about their digestive systems not being quite ready until that time. DH has digestive issues so he was especially adamant we waited, no matter how desperate DS seemed to join in with meals :D

You can start with quite a few things but usually sweet things are best because milk is sweet :) We started with a teaspoon or two of fruit puree and gradually built up from there. We did waste some food as I always find it hard to get portions right (even for adults-eyes bigger than belly haha) but he never overeats - he pushes anything away that he doesn't want.

Hi

With my eldest i started with some rice at breakfast time, he hated it so we tried baby porridge. He loved it. The next week I introduced a tea time Meal, was mainly plain veg, eg carrots, sweet potato etc. then built up a lunch and then after a while introduced desserts, mashed banana etc. then introduced finger foods as snacks a few weeks after that.
Just starting to think about weaning for my youngest child as 8oz bottles every two hours are hard to keep up with. X

We're just about to start weaning our lo at just after 6 months. He can sit by himself and hold his head up, he puts anything and everything in his mouth a d proper stares at us when we eat.

I'd totally forgotten how you do everything too and my oldest is only 3! I've dug out my annabel karmel book from last time which I found so useful. She recommends starting with puréed root vegetables at lunch time and then introducing the sweeter fruits at lunch. The following week introducing a purée at breakfast time and lunch time and then after a week or so of that introducing lumpier purées with more variety.

Baby led weaning if where you miss out the purées and just give well cooked foods to your lo for them to eat/gum. Some people have said this is amazing for getting Los ready to eat proper food much quicker than the traditional method but I've never tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"