Weaning off a dummy...Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by zoe0504, Dec 19, 2009.

1. zoe0504

zoe0504 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    I'm thinking about starting to wean Oliver off've his dummy. He didn't have one until 2 months old and has had it during his teething. He is always knocking it out of his mouth even though he wants it and it is tiring having to fight with him to put it back in.
    Could anyone offer any advice as to how to wean him off as stress free as possible (for him and me!!). I know he is quite young but i think the sooner the better!
    Thanks in advance.
    Zoe and Oliver! x x

2. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

Sorry no advice for you here....iv tried and failed miserably and iv now come to the fact that if shes happy with it im just gona put up with having to put it back in.

3. Foogirl

Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

There's probably no easy option. Cold turkey is probably best. But if it helps, it shouldn't take too long.

Try putting him to bed with out it, and calming him until he falls asleep. Shusshing, stroking, patting etc. The idea is to have them drowsy when you put them down and let them do the last bit themselves. Abby sucks her tongue and strokes her face with her hand (which is apparently what most babies do in the womb, so bringing his hands to his face might help also. It might take an hour the first night, but should take a shorter and shorter time each night. Does he always have it - eg for naps and stuff as well? I'd do the bedtime first then tackle the naps.

You just need to be careful not to replace the dummy with another comfort e.g rocking, feeding etc.

The main thing is, once you start, don't give up as it will just take much much longer.

4. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I would say Foogirl's advice is pretty good but...

At your LO's age Ruby was always pulling it out when settling to sleep, and I had tokeep putting it back in...but it was a phase and she doesn't do it half as much now. (she only has it to settle to sleep)

5. LuluBee

LuluBee Mummy to Alex

I've just weaned Alex off his dummy (he's 11 months old). I would say choose a time when he's well and not teething and then decide which methd oyu think will work best for you: You can do cold turkey or gentle removal
    Cold turkey is probably harsher on both of oyu and can lead ot lots of screaming and crying, but it doesn't last long. I did it with Alex and 3 days later he's absolutely fine and setlting without a problem.
    Gentle removal involves taking the dummy away gradually, starting with not having it during the day when he's awake, then at sleep times taking the dummy out of the mouth just before they fall asleep. I decided against this because although I can see it would be far less stressful it takes a longer time period and I wanted it over with quickly (while I have time off work).
    As previous posters say don't give up once oyu have started, it gets better quite quickly, and be careful not replace the dummy with another comfort - rocking or feeding. Alex has always settled with a little cuddly toy and I notice he sucks on the ear of this now to get to calm him down his cot - but I can live with that.
    good luck honey xx

6. zoe0504

Thanks!
    Well.... last night i put him down and within minutes Oliver was asleep! I thought what a fluke! So, this evening i put him in his cot as usual with his lullaby's, left him and hey presto 2 minutes later he was moaning. It doesn't help that he can roll over and gets frustrated on his tummy! So i shushed and stroked to no avail,went to the loo left the room and ....... quiet! It was as if he wanted me to get out and leave him alone! Cheeky bugger! It's now been 2 hours, he's woken up once and sucked his thumb back to sleep so we'll see how it goes!! Just got to tackle the sleeps in the day now!
    Thanks again for the advice, taken on board!!!
    x x x

7. Foogirl

Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

We found this too. We were amazed that we had spent so long trying to calm her and buggering off seemed to do the trick!!

8. zoe0504

He's gone all day without one today, has done really well! I'm really proud, not of myself but of Oliver! Not had much of a fuss and has gone out like a light! He seems to sleep better without it, no interruptions! We'll see how long it lasts!
    x x x