Weaning off bottle..

chipsticks

Reaction score
So DS is one now and I'd like his bottles gone...DD at that age had little interest so I just stopped giving them and she didn't notice... His guy tho! Wakes for one at 3ish and adores them during the day! He's averaging 28 oz a day! From tomorrow I'm putting him on 6 oz (instead of his normal 7oz ones) but is there a better way to do it? Will gradually reducing the amount work? :shrug:

Personally I'd aim to swap one bottle at a time for something else - a straw cup, sippy cup, open cup etc. After 3 days or so I'd tackle the next bottle to drop - just so he's started compensating for any calories he's not having via his formula. I'd also be putting cows milk in the new cup rather than formula, so he's also swapping slowly from formula to milk. But that's up to you - if you want him to stay on formula for a bit, he can have it from the other cups.

The night feed is likely to be your tricky one IMO. I'd do it first, or last. And be ready for some upset maybe. That one I would reduce by 1oz every three nights and then settle with water when you've done 3 nights at 2oz. I'd still use the bottle for the water in the night - I can only imagine the mess if your ds kicks off about a cup!! And you don't need to be changing pj's etc at 3am!

All in all, I'd think it would take a good few weeks to get him off bottles. Good luck!!

Are you concerned with getting rid of the bottles or getting rid of the milk? I don't think you necessarily need to rush to do either, but if you want to reduce the amount of milk he's having, I'd replace it with food and let it reduce on its own. So at that age, my daughter was having 3 meals a day and two snacks. Is he having snacks between meals? If not, I'd add them in, offering snacks first until he's full and then topping up with milk if he wants it or still seems hungry. If he's already having snacks, I'd increase them and offer them at times he'd normally have milk. That should just lead to an overall reduction in the amount of milk he wants. Toddlers should have about 500ml of milk a day (that's about 17 oz), though it doesn't all have to be in the form of a drink (yogurt, milk in cereal, cheese all count too). If you offer plenty of opportunities for food and hydration during the day, the milk will just reduce itself in time. If it's the actual bottles you want to cut out and switch to cups, I would work on switching one bottle a day (ideally not a crucial one when he's really hungry or tired) to a cup. We found straw cups worked really well. Our daughter wouldn't accept milk in a cup until 13 months (tried from 11 months, she just needed time), but then once she did, she really took to it and we switched all but the bedtime one to cups. The bedtime one went to a cup at around 15 months.

Thanks guys..he is actually a little food monster..he never seems full.he's worse than a dog for begging! He slept 11.5 hours last night so maybe we are turning a corner. my main concern is his teeth rotting in his head with his 3ish bottle! He is having meals and snacks, both spoon fed and finger food...maybe he just has his daddy's appetite!

Thanks guys..he is actually a little food monster..he never seems full.he's worse than a dog for begging! He slept 11.5 hours last night so maybe we are turning a corner. my main concern is his teeth rotting in his head with his 3ish bottle! He is having meals and snacks, both spoon fed and finger food...maybe he just has his daddy's appetite!

Is he getting plenty of protein? It will keep him feeling full for longer - so maybe an evening meal based on pulses, meat etc would help?

& :happydance: for 11.5hrs - you must feel wonderful!

Is he getting plenty of protein? It will keep him feeling full for longer - so maybe an evening meal based on pulses, meat etc would help?

& :happydance: for 11.5hrs - you must feel wonderful!

Will def try a higher protein meal so...tho he does get plenty! Both kids were up from 3-5/5:30 last night :dohh: the long stretch the night before certainly helped tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->