Weaning off Gaviscon?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by babypowder, Jun 7, 2011.

1. babypowder

babypowder Well-Known Member

Hello!
    My LO has silent reflux which I control partly with my diet and partly with low dose of Gaviscon. He feeds 7/8/9 times a day and has Gaviscon for 4 of those feeds, just one sachet. He spits up a bit during feeds he doesn't have it but seems happy enough.
    Dr mentioned starting to try and wean him off at 4 months but I don't know where to start? Any experience of this?
    Thank you x

P.S. I posted this in Breastfeeding but it seems quite a slow forum x

2. charlotte-xo

charlotte-xo Alfie and Darcey's mummy

we first tried to wean at 4 months but he went back to how he was screaming ect so we left it another 2 weeks. We just weaned over a week so one day 6sachets the next day 5 and so on...until he was having none at all and he was fine and hasnt needed it since. If you find your LO like alfie struggled or went back to how he was my dr advices to leave it a week and then try.

<3

3. hayleyet

hayleyet Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack your thread but can I ask you ladies about gaviscon?
    My LO was started it on it yesterday whilst I wait to see a paediatrician to see if he has reflux.
    It says no more than 6 doses per day, Hayden has 8 feeds so do I just do a couple without? Also it says babies over 10lb 2 sachets with 8oz of feed. He has mostly 5oz bottles so do I just use the dose for under 10lb babies or do I need to make up 8oz bottles and bin the rest each time? Sometimes he only takes 3/4oz so I'd waste half?
    Again I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread?

4. babypowder

No problem. Is your LO sick or the silent reflux type? If he is sick my friends LO needs it for every feed which of course is not possible for you. Would suggest leaving out morning feeds in that case and dosing the feeds towards end of day and overnight as they are the feeds my doctor advised removing Gavison from last when I wean my LO.
    I use the dose for under 10lb baby and it works fine but I BF so it might be different for you, plus my LO has silent reflux, not the vomiting type x

5. babypowder

Thanks for the weaning advice. Going to give him another week until he is 4 months then I want to move him from his moses basket (not relevant to reflux, just another milestone for me rather than him I think!) and try to wean him. I'll give it a shot your way, thank you xx

6. charlotte-xo

charlotte-xo Alfie and Darcey's mummy

haleyet-we had the same problem so we asked the dr and he said half the powder in one sachet and just use half in every feed thats what we did and alfie was fine.

<3