Weaning off the dummy

Lauz_1601

Reaction score
Im thinking about weaning Ella off her dummy. She only really has it at night to send her off to sleep but she wakes crying for it in the night and we fumble around in the dark trying to find it lol.

I think Il, just have to go cold turkey and put up with the crying and not sleeping. Me and OH are off the last week of september so think this will be the best time to do it.

Any advice or stories of how it went when you weaned your little ones of the dummy? how long will it take before she she will sleep happily without it?

Sorry Emily was about 2 1/2 when i took it of her, she hung on xmas tree for Santa to take to the new babies

Good luck Laura, a few nights and hopefully it should be all worth it!!!!

My little'un wouldn't take the dummy.

Awwwww Jo that is so sweet!!!!!

My son was a little over 1 when we took his away. He did cry at night for about three day but after that he learned how to calm himself down and started sleeping without.

Thanks for your replies. I have decided that I will wait until after her teeth have come throught becuase no doubt there will be lots of crying and she will need her dummy for comfort.

Last night she actually slept all the way throught without waking up for her dummy.......yay!

My Abigail is only 4 months so I haven't been there yet - however I've been told that giving a new teddy or doll to cuddle up with to go to sleep can help smooth the transition...

Yeah, my son attached himself to a blanket. During the time that we took away his pacifier

EthansMom04 said:
Yeah, my son attached himself to a blanket. During the time that we took away his pacifier

My youngest was the same except he actually sucked the blanket too. :lol: Older one was really good at 6 months i took it away and he didnt even bother.

My nephew sucks on his blanket. My son never did that. I just wish I could find another blanket like the one he has. It would make washing it so much easier.

Hi EthansMoms. :D I'm glad to see I'm not the only "Yank" over here.

A new blanket or teddy sounds like a good idea, will do this when the tiem coems, thanks for your replies girls xxx

I have a 5 month old baby boy who won't sleep without his dummy. He wakes in the middle of the night screaming for it and won't settle until he has it back. I'm desparate to wean him off his dummy to make night times easier. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this the most painlessly? :D

hey tiffany welcome to the site!
(i don't have any tips sorry!)

xox

Tiffany said:
I have a 5 month old baby boy who won't sleep without his dummy. He wakes in the middle of the night screaming for it and won't settle until he has it back. I'm desparate to wean him off his dummy to make night times easier. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this the most painlessly? :D

Hi Tiffany

Welcome to BabyAndBump :D

I haven't got a lil one but would 5 months be too soon if he is use to the comfort of the dummy whist sleeping? Although I read it's best to wean baby off the dummy before 12 months.

I also found:

How do you get rid of a Dummy?

Wean them off - gradually decrease its use
Only give the dummy at certain times - bedtime or when they are not well
Tell them that big boys/girls put their dummies on the dummy tree
Persuade them to give (all) their dummies to their nursery teacher
Give rewards (but not sweets)
Use a star chart to motivate them

Some of the above may apply to the child who has the dummy past 12 months of age!

When weaning your baby off her dummy it's best to restrict it to bedtime only, always removing the dummy when she falls asleep. This ensures that she is not expecting it there on waking and can't rely on it to settle back to sleep again.

Personally I think I would go with that option & let baby cry himself to sleep if he wakens I can imagine how distressing that may be though :(

Thanks, I didn't expect replies so soon :D ! Maybe it is too early to be taking his dummy away especially as he wont understand why. Never mind, i'll just have to put up with broken sleep for a little while longer :sleep: ! My partner keeps on at me to just let him cry himself back to sleep instead of going to him at the first wimper at night, but I think thats a bit cruel. Has it worked for anyone?

I think I would feel cruel too - I get funny when my OH hisses at the cat :rofl:

I think I would do it for the childs sake though i'd just have to cringe under my duvet & hope he stops soon.

It's worth a try but so difficult when you know all you have to do is put their dummy back in :cry:

I think I could imagine being in your shoes & certainly wouldn't want to be :(

Good luck though :hugs:

I was watching that britains youngest mums and dads and they did "controlled crying" with a set of twins.

If you want to wean him off early i think thats all you have to do, the controlled crying and gradually he'll learn to get himself back off to sleep without his dummy.

I hope it works for you too

xox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"