Wearhouse Working Nightshift & Shattered :(

fatponies

Reaction score
Hi ladies..
Does anyone else work a nightshift??

I work for an M&S Wearhouse, processing the clothes etc... Im bending down all night and on my Feet for 8hours...
Im only 16weeks and im Shattered...:sleep:

Work have said if i cant cope, i will HAVE to move to day shift which is a Wage decrease i just cannot afford...
Surly they cant make me move?!

Why cant hey just put me on less strenuous work?!:dohh::sleep:

I dont do the nightshift at my warehouse but i do the sunday shift, i work for Phoenix which sends out pharmacueticals to all the chemists and my lord its hard work, its so fast paced and there are so many products and sooo many invoices to get out! i used to work in a vault with controlled drugs but i complained i said i couldnt do it anymore the lifting and bending is too much, there isnt enough room for me and its dangerous if one of those bottles of methadone breaks and i have to clean it up, im now sat at the end of the main line scanning all the totes to make sure they've been completed sitting on a chair with my feet up lol. Have you had a risk assessment? you should have a copy of it, have a look in there and see what they have said you can and cant do because i didnt know i wasnt allowed on a footstool until i read it properly and i showed them and they stopped asking me to do work where i had to use a footstool. I dont think they can ask you to work different hours :/ they can be more helpful and give you work thats not so hard on your body. x

Hi there :)

That doesn't sound good, no wonder you're shattered. Have you had a risk assessment done yet? If not, you should speak to HR asap. I would say that you would need more regular breaks and if you are bending does that mean you are lifting thing as that would be a no-no.

I don't think they can force you to move. You could consider getting a Fit to Work statement from your gp/consultant or possibly your MW (not 100% they can do them), which would say you can work but they have to make these allowances (which would then be listed). Only problem with that is if they don't fulfil it & so you are therefore "unfit" to work I'm not sure what pay you would get...

Sorry, not sure I've helped but definitely ask about risk assess

X

I work the night shift and got a doctors note stating what I could and couldn't do. Now I basically sit on a desk and do office work. I would get a doctors note and speak to HR !

I work as nightshift manager for a supermarket which is alot of heavy work, lifting bending etc and since my risk assessment there are things that i don't do anymore like unloading wagons and picking up heavy boxes, i will keep doing it until i feel i can't do it anymore then will again drop some of the heavier duties and pick up lighter duties, i would ask if there is something else you could do on nightshift that doesn't involve lifting but to be honest if there is no other jobs you can do then you would have to go to dayshift for you and your babys safety, the best thing todo is speak to your hr department and find out the maternity policies and procedures they have in place.

i would read up on their policies and on pregnancy at works laws and see what it says.

i was on night shift at tescos when pregnant with my 1st and i got a letter from the docs to say i needed to move to day shift. it was in tesco policy that if i had a note they would move me to day shift whilst allowing me to keep my night premiums.

i worked for m&s a few years ago and they were really good employers. unless things have changed dramatically then i'm sure something could be worked out.

I youre in the Uk this may help: https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf

If they are offering you days then they have to offer you compatible pay and contractual terms and conditions or it is discrimination. That's on page 5 or 6 I think.

I'm a night worker doing mobile security and if they don't fix the health and safety issues on nights they have to offer me days where I'm not "disadvantaged" due to pay r travel costs and if they can't do that they have to suspend me on full pay by law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->