Weight Gain Question

danamm64

# 1due in April 2012
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have a question about weight gain. I am 18 weeks and have only gained 1 pound that comes and goes. I am very overweight, but I am scared that this is not healthy for the baby. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?
Thanks!

I also haven't gained any weight and the MW was not concerned about it. She went over my weekly menu and told me just to add more protein at breakfast (though I am really sure I am getting more than the 60g on most days even without much at breakfast).

You're totally fine. When I got pregnant with my son I weighed about 232 (and at 5'2" that's a lot;). I actually lost about 5 pounds or so the first trimester and then ended up giving birth at 237/238. At no point was my doctor concerned whatsoever and my son was 100% healthy at 7 lbs 2 oz. I asked her every single appt about my weight I was so concerned about it, and she finally just explained to me that with some women that are overweight to start with they don't tend to gain much at all in their pregnancies. In fact, since then I've read up a lot on the issue and for women who start out overweight the recommended weight gain is only 10-20 pounds according to some things I've read. My doc said she's had some bigger women that never gained anything...and babies are totally fine. They are getting everything they need from us...no worries. :hugs:

I'm 9 weeks with my 2nd right now and while I'm starting a little smaller than I was with my first, I'm still down about 4 pounds from when I found out I was pregnant. I've had awful morning sickness so I know that's why. I'm not concerned at all, just hoping I feel better soon. ;)

Larger ladies usually gain less weight during pregnancy and it usually takes longer for them to gain weight. I am a 12-14 and I have gained 5lbs so far at 19weeks.

Unless you MW or OB is worried than I wouldn't worry.

Thanks ladies! I feel much better now. I am glad to know that baby will get everything they need from me since I am bigger anyway=) So much to worry about during your first pregnancy lol

I am 17 weeks and have only gained 3 lbs. I was also slightly concerned about it but my MW was not at all. I am actually somewhat petite at 5'3 and about 130 lbs and she said as long as I and baby are growing, there is no need to worry. It's obvious that I'm growing! Good luck and don't worry!!

I was about 30lbs overweight when I conceived and I'm down about 12lbs from my conception weight at 18 weeks - midwife appt tomorrow and I'm going to ask her about it then but as long as LO is OK I think it's fine!

I am 18 weeks and am still 4 pounds behind my weight at my 9 week first appointment. I lost six pounds between 9 and 12 weeks so I am very slowly starting to gain weight now.
I am also a good bit overweight (bmi 31) so I believe it is a good thing not to pack on the pounds early on when the baby is very small anyway. If you are seriously overweight it can be absolutely fine not to gain weight during pregnancy. If you are a bit overweight then you still need to gain but not as much as normal weight women. If your doctor isn't concerned then you shouldn't be either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->