Weight gain slowing down, bit worried?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Thomas isn't putting on weight as well as he was a few weeks ago, is this normal?

Between 5 days 2 weeks old and 6 weeks 1 day old, he was averaging 41grams a day (10.08oz per week) weight gain. Between 6w1d and today 7w6d, he's only averaging 25grams a day (6.16oz per week).

His percentile for weight is fine, it's 52.2 on the NZ chart about 42nd on the WHO chart) and he was born in the 25th percentile so he has gained well, and he looks well covered in chub. For length he is in the 42nd percentile.

He's been spilling and even doing a couple of huge vomits every couple of days, should I feed him more often so his weight gain doesn't slow any longer, or is it normal for it to slow down a bit by now? The health visitor wasn't too concerned, just said any gain is good and that it will get re-evaluated at his 3 month checkup.

I can't help but worry though as he's almost halving his weight gain :nope:

I haven't changed my diet or anything like that.

It's totally normal for weight gain to decrease as they get older. The charts even flatten out to reflect this. They are actually having about the same volume of milk from 1 month/6 weeks to 4-6 months/weaning, so they just grow a bit slower as they get bigger. As long as he is following a growth curve (not necessarily one of the chart ones, but a gradual increase of some kind), things are probably fine.

hey hon, i know nims a bit different as shes having issue around feeding but she gained 4oz in 5 days and my m/w is perfectly happy with it. she said weight gain goes in fits and starts and can be very erratic.

maybe just keep an eye on it, but as long as hes healthy and alert and gaining something i'd not worry to much

I was looking at the charts and they are engineered to reflect huge gains in the first few weeks and then gradually less and less. 25g is roughly 1oz a day which is bang on average for this stage, also babies gain more some weeks than others so don't worry xx

Aww thanks you guys. Phew, glad to have this forum! OH was saying I was worrying over nothing, I had a chart open on the computer and I'm zooming in on it drawing little plot dots and lines lol! He was right though, I was worrying over nothing hopefully.

It does seem pretty normal, his gain, now that I research it. Average gain being 170grams a week and he did an average of 175g each week over the last 2.

He has fat little legs anyway and a bigger double chin than I do, so I'm sure he's fine :cloud9:

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/Thomas%20for%20forums/Thomas014.jpg

Awwwww hes gorgeous!

Nim would like to know if he's single?

Oh thank you! I think he's pretty awesomely goodlooking myself. Yes he's still single, there has been some interest from Jessica Alba though, or so Thomas says :dohh:

I expressed some milk and went out to buy dinner, came back and he'd taken a whole 145mls at once, his stomach is so round, he looks pregnant. The most he's ever had before was 100mls, he must have heard me talking about his weight :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->