Weight question

littlesteph

expecting baby no:3
Reaction score
I know its a bit early for a weight question,
but with my boys I gain 15lbs in each of them.
it wasn't till my pre-op with my second that a midwife got concerned.
if I was to tell my midwife when I meet her about my lack of weight gain are they going to want to weigh me at all my appointments?

must add my bmi is 21.1 so in the healthy range and it's recommended for a health bmi you gain at least 25lbs, at least that's what it was when I was pregnant with both my boys.

The recommended weight gain with a singleton is usually around 25-30 lbs for someone with a normal BMI. What were your son's birthweights? That's a better indicator. With DD I gained 43 lbs!!

My metabolism kicks into overdrive when pregnant and I can't keep weight on no matter how much I eat. My bmi is on the low side (18-18.5 then) and my previous pregnancies I gained around 20lbs total (10-12lbs above are pregnancy weight after losing 8-10lbs in first tri despite not having morning sickness or decreased appetite). My babies have both been healthy birth weights -8 and 7lbs respectively.
I am trying not one at a high calorie diet this pregnancy to attempt to not lose any weight in the first tri as breastfeeding has dropped my weight even more in the past couple years and my bmi is now 17.5 so I have no weight to lose. As long as I'm eating well though I'm not too concerned about my weight.

my eldest was 4lbs 6oz but I had to be induced with him at 36 weeks due to failing placenta and they think he had stopped growing. My youngest was 6lb 14oz, they told me when I had him that my body would not cope with a bigger baby then that as my body had been fighting labour since 33 weeks and I had reduced movements from 33 weeks, had him at 39 weeks.

They may want to watch you more closely especially because both your boys were lower weights due to body issues. You mah end up with the same this time around after 30 weeks. As long as you are eating healthy and maintaining your carbs etc you should be fine. Obviously your boys turned out to be fine. But i would just be on the careful side since it does seem your body cant handle normal weight babies.

Also everyones bodies are different...some people who have very small frames but are at a helathy weight just cant handle normal sized babies. While others who have bigger frames can or have bigger babies. The average weight gain is just that...an average. It all depends on the persons body. Some small women only gain 5-10lbs but had healthy babies and ate healthy. The most important is that you are eating healthy and getting enough vitamins etc.

they think it doesn't help I am small, when my eldest was born they all said oh he's small because you are, I was 5lb 6oz at birth. i'm 5ft now and 109lbs when I weighed myself last, which was nearly 2 weeks ago.

I'm 5'2 and 90 lbs. I gained 15 lbs both times and lost all of it and even more thanks to my little boob monster:haha:

DD1 was 6lbs 2oz born at 38w5d
DD2 was 6lbs 14oz born at 38w2d

Doc was never concerned since they were growing just fine. They might keep a closer eye on you but just because you gain more doesn't mean that baby will be bigger or vice versa. You're tiny and give birth to smaller babies

Yeah i wouldnt worry about the weight gain then. More often then not small moms give birth to small babies. So you most likely wont have a typical 7-8lb baby. Genes also have a lot to do with it.

genes is what i'm a little worried about, hubby was a 8 pounder, hoping for another small baby. I like having a small bump as people never believed I was as far as I was or they just didn't notice I was pregnant lol.
got doctors on Tuesday to get pregnancy confirmed, although they'll probably do what they did last time, have you tested yes, ok book in with the midwife on your way out.

I did a silly and weighed myself, was making sure that I was on track with weight gain, ummm nope, loss 2lbs. started worrying a little as have has no sickness and eating normally but then remember weight loss at the beginning is normal for me.

I'm trying to stay off the scles too and just focus on good nutrition and not what the scale says. Loosing is normal for me too but stressful and I don't need the stress about losing weight causing me to lose even more lol.

even though I have a healthy bmi I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, would rather wait till after pregnancy though lol

I'm only just .1 below normal weight range (hmm my gp must have used a different formula to calculate my bmi cause she had me down as 17.5 last pregnancy and I was at least 1-2kg heavier then but my bmi now is 18.4.) So I really don't have any to spare .

wow 17.5 is low. 18.4 is not too bad obviously low but closer to healthier bmi.

Yeah I can't possibly have been 17.5 though so idk where my GP got that from. I haven't weighed less than my current weight as an adult and before kids my average weight was 12-15lbs more than current so she must have miscalculated. Unless maybe that weight was after I lost weight in first tri and was at my absolute lowest weight hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->