Weight?

AFC84

Mama to One + Bun :)
Reaction score
This may be a bit personal, but I'm dying to know!

I haven't bothered weighing myself for a few months, but I saw the midwife today and asked to use the scales before I left as the battery is dead in mine. I didn't think I'd really put on any weight but it turns out since my first appointment with the midwife in September I've put on a stone! The midwife didn't weigh me last time, and when I commented to OH that I had put weight on she didn't seem concerned/write it down.

But then two people I've spoken to since said they only put on a stone and a half through the whole pregnancy, and that I'll be putting on a lot more later. I don't think I look overweight in the slightest...I have a bump [although everyone keeps telling me how tiny I look, much to my annoyance!] and my boobs have grown 3 cup sizes and a back size, so I'm thinking it could be down to this?

I was a bit on the skinny side before and am tall...I'm 5ft9, NOW weighing 10st 6lb, and my BMI was 20 when recorded at my first appointment, so is this why?

My mum was saying I should stop eating so much crap because I'll have a lot to lose after the birth, but I've never been one to put weight on easily and have always eaten fatty foods without giving it a second thought in terms of calories....I am trying to eat plenty of fruit and veg etc, but I can't see me giving up the good stuff either! I'm thinking it's just boob weight/blood/baby/placenta etc rather than fat? :shrug:

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to check with you lot! :blush:

I've put on a stone, and I am quite a bit behind you! I heard average is 2.5 - 3 stone...so I'm not worried. Don't they say about a pound a week after first trimester??

I think mine is mostly boob weight...they are humongous :)

If your BMI is low pre pregnancy you are supposed to put a bit more on x

Ahh cheers, that's reassuring...admittedly I am packing a little more junk in the trunk but I'm actually loving it as it looks less orange-peely...OH wants it to stay! :lmao:

Thanks Emx, I thought I'd read that somewhere too :)

You sound like you're quite slim in the first place, and I'm sure its fine to put on a bit extra. Also you could put it on in spurts, you might not gain anything for the next few weeks, and then put on a bit more. I wouldn't be concerned about it. It was a bit harsh what your mum said, but I would agree that eating lots of fatty food should be kept to a minimum, just for health and nutrition not really because of the weight. But the odd treat won't hurt either.

I haven't been weighed by my midwife since I first ever went in at 6 weeks just so they could get my BMI. I've got an appointment tomorrow but I'm not expecting them to weigh me then either. Unless you're clearly underweight or overweight I don't think they're really all that bothered...

Slimmer girls need to gain a bit more, 20 BMI is quite small (I was 20 too), so your body might have needed some added fat.

I was 19 BMI to start and so I'm not worried if I put on a little more weight. It really does vary a lot per person and as long as my midwife is happy with the weight gain and my boy's growth, than I'm happy.

oh hon don't worry :) I was on the border of overweight, everybody keeps saying how small I am for 25 weeks and I don't even look pregnant :saywhat: Meanwhile I gained 24 pounds (Had my appointment today with obgyn). Unless your mw is concerned one way or another, do not even think about your weight :) We have plenty of stuff to worry about as is :hugs:

I was never skinny, but was not overweight pre-pregnancy. I've put on 2 stones believe it or not - my BMI was good before but now I think I've just overmarked the border on being overweight...let's just hope I manage to lose most of it after the baby is born!

I was never skinny, but was not overweight pre-pregnancy. I've put on 2 stones believe it or not - my BMI was good before but now I think I've just overmarked the border on being overweight...let's just hope I manage to lose most of it after the baby is born!

you don't look overweight AT ALL :) we will all lose it fast, let's just keep telling ourselves that :) for reassurance purposes :)

You sound like you're quite slim in the first place, and I'm sure its fine to put on a bit extra. Also you could put it on in spurts, you might not gain anything for the next few weeks, and then put on a bit more. I wouldn't be concerned about it. It was a bit harsh what your mum said, but I would agree that eating lots of fatty food should be kept to a minimum, just for health and nutrition not really because of the weight. But the odd treat won't hurt either.

I haven't been weighed by my midwife since I first ever went in at 6 weeks just so they could get my BMI. I've got an appointment tomorrow but I'm not expecting them to weigh me then either. Unless you're clearly underweight or overweight I don't think they're really all that bothered...

This is true! Yeah, I probably should eat better...at the beginning of my pregnancy I was doing really well, but then I really went off my food for a few weeks. Now I've got my appetite back I've "allowed" myself a lot more...I eat a lot of carbs mainly, and stodgy food...I don't really have much of a sweet tooth but from time to time I will have a bit of a binge. I went off cooked veg for a while too, weird!

Yeah, I suppose weight gain varies so much they don't really need to bother unless there's cause for concern.

oh hon don't worry :) I was on the border of overweight, everybody keeps saying how small I am for 25 weeks and I don't even look pregnant :saywhat: Meanwhile I gained 24 pounds (Had my appointment today with obgyn). Unless your mw is concerned one way or another, do not even think about your weight :) We have plenty of stuff to worry about as is :hugs:

Aaaargh it's so annoying isn't it! Not sure if it's just the hormones making me more touchy or if its just people being rude and irritating..probably a bit of both! :lol:

Cheers though everyone...I agree, there's definitely more important things to think about!

I've put on 1.5 stone already! And I haven't even got a massive bump! Lol. I'm not worrying too much but after Christmas I'm going to make sure I'm eating much healthier and I might even try to get some exercise in (gentle, of course!)
And don't forget - BMI measurements aren't relevant when you're pregnant x

This is good site to check how much weight you should put on.

https://www.gurgle.co.uk/tools_PregnancyWeight.aspx

I've put on 22lb. I piled on about 8lb literally overnight at about 8/9 weeks and it never went...got in a big stress and worried i was going to start piling weight on uncontrollably but it's evened out since then with a steady 1lbish per week. Would have preferred not to have put quite so much on at this point but i'm still in size 10 stuff (albeit maternity) so I'm hoping it's all going in kind of the right places. Not much i can do now anyway... Besides, the further into my pregnancy I've got, I really have got weight gain into perspective and it's just not an issue like it was pre-pregnancy. Sounds like you have nothing at all to worry about. As lanaross says 'don't give it another thought'

I find the trick is to not weigh yourself! I did once at 18 weeks and was horrified to see I had lost a pound!!! Im pretty happy with my weight gain so far as in 'what it looks like'. I have a growing bump and think I have continued to loss weight on face, arms, shoulders etc although I eat like a PIG!!! If your eating healthily and feel ok then thats fine

I weighed myself last week and id put on 10lbs (making me 10st 13lbs) Im not worried though as my bmi was 22 i think before. I will lose it all after!! Any fat has gone on my bum and legs rather than my tummy, my arms are exactly the same. I didnt want one of those huge mum bums but looks like i have no choice!! x

iv put on a stone already n i was only 15 weeks gone!! im 5 ft 5 n i was 9stone and now shot up to 10 so still a healthy weight so not to bothered tho im enjoying it t the min il worry about it after the babys born xx

I started out at 10 stone, and now Im 11 stone 4. Its does bug me, but then Im eating alot more than usual so its no surprise. I comfort myself by saying Ill work on losing it after Ive given birth xx

hi there

i sound a bit like you - am between 5ft 8 and 9 and weighed 9st prepreg, so a BMI of around 19. i put on no weight till around 19 weeks and am now just under 9 1/2 st. i think a stone is fine hun and when you are tall you carry it a lot better. you don't necessarily have to put on loads of weight later on - it could just be baby weight if you are careful with what you eat (though obviously not too careful, you need something like 200cal extra per day in 3rd tri). really wouldn't worry, a stone doesn't sound like that much to me, though i would try and have a healthy-ish diet if possible (very hard i know!!),

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"