weird labor inducing myths!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by bethy1512, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bethy1512

bethy1512 due NYE 09

ok... so we've all heard the hot curry, sex, long walk, best knickers myths.

But i've come across some really bizarre ones lately.

Like pizza with double onions and peppers. (if thats the case LO would behere by now)

Liqourice. seriously... i googled it and it says to avoid anything containing liquorice root as it brings on pre-term labour.

Eating egg plant. huh?

evening primrose oil?

anyone else got any weird ones?

2. lisa35

lisa35 Well-Known Member

I read the other day that nipple stimulation brings labour on but you need to do it for at least an hour...ouch!

3. nicanbump09

nicanbump09 mummy to scarlett rose

twiddling your nipples ha ha !! if only it was that simple :wacko:

4. nicanbump09

nicanbump09 mummy to scarlett rose

snap ha ha:haha:

5. loopdido

loopdido Mum to 2

I'm trying parsley tea today!

6. lisa35

lisa35 Well-Known Member

Yeah if only :wacko:

Think we would be all sat twiddling :haha: x

7. Phexia

Phexia Sort of ttc nr. 4

Evening primrose oil contains prostaglandins and is good for ripening the cervix ;)

Weird ones I've heard are:

Arm wrestling
    Blowing up balloons!

8. loopdido

loopdido Mum to 2

blowing up balloons doesn't work - my son had me blowing the same balloon up over and over the other day so that he could just let it go wizzing round the room!

9. JayDee

JayDee Sunshine and rainbow

There was something on here a couple of weeks ago about rubbing your belly on a full moon (or something like that) - that's got to be the most random one I've heard.

A slightly easier one might be eating pineapple or kiwi fruit, although the amount of them you have to eat would probably just give you sugar overload and a dodgy tummy!

10. bethy1512

bethy1512 due NYE 09

nipple stimulation? is that like if your late to get things going or is it something to start now like raspberry leaf tea to "prepare the body" .

sometimes i wonder where these ideas come from! OH seems really pleased about the "sex can help" things tho. hmmmmm i wonder why!

11. Helabela

Helabela Mum to Sophie and ttc

lol!! My hubbys excited about the sex part of it!!

12. jen1604

jen1604 Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell there arent any that would actually work...just have to wait until baby is ready :dohh:

The girl in the fruit&veg shop the other day asked me if I knew fresh pineapple can bring on labour.I had to say "Yes but you have to eat atleast 7,I'm only buying 1 and I promise not to eat it all in one go" :rofl: x

13. JayDee

The nipple thing is meant to make your body produce oxyitosin (spelling will be wrong) which is basically a sex hormone, so an orgasm can do the same thing, hence sex helping.
    Semen also has a hormone in it that they use to help induce labour, so if you can both enjoy yourselves you double your chances! (Sorry if that's TMI but hey, we're all pregnant and it's a rare person that gets pregnant without sex - I know it's possible but...)

14. JayDee

And really, I agree with Jen, babies come when they're ready. If any of these tricks worked mine would have been here at least a week ago.... long walks, spicy food, fresh pineapple, clary sage oil, bouncing on birthing ball.... tried the lot!

15. bethy1512

bethy1512 due NYE 09

i dont want to encourage baby to come early atall.... i want my xmas dinner! lol. i'm just amused at the lengths people go to . i mean... castor oil! eurgh!

16. bethy1512

bethy1512 due NYE 09

ewwww.... i just red another one. apparantly people insert evening primrose oil capsules INTO the vagina to disolve over night to "ripen and soften the cervix"

seriously who comes up with these!!!

17. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

my friend used castor oil and dont know whether it was coincidence or whether it actually works but 4 hours after she had it her waters broke and 5 hours after that she had him

18. katekatekate

katekatekate Guest

Going slightly off topic (but not enough to justify a new thread) - when is it ok to start trying to naturally induce labour? I obviously want a healthy full term baby but I would like to get the ball rolling when the time comes.

19. toseland13

toseland13 Well-Known Member

usually 36 weeks hun.

MW told me u have to eat 200 pineapples for the chemical to bring on labour.

hot curry apparently works, and ive had some sex and nothing so have to keep trying lol

20. katekatekate

katekatekate Guest

200 pineapples? It'll give you the runs! I already have a fear of pooing on the delivery table.